Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Possible Sandy Build. Need input, been out of the game.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible Sandy Build. Need input, been out of the game.

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So getting rid of the Sig Lappy and the wife approves of building of a rig.
Anywho, been out of the game for a bit rideing the laptop game for quite sometime. Looking to build a rig for gaming/htpc XMBC usage. Trying to go for something that will last me a bit and after sifting through the boards. Came up with the following.

1 NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99
2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $175.98
1 EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $499.99
1 KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector $149.99
1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K $224.99
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full $274.99
1 CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler $71.36
1 ASUS Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1LT LightScribe Support - OEM $119.99
1 OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $109.99

1 ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Combo $229.98

Subtotal: $1,997.25

This is of course in a perfect world. Looking for something along those lines give or take with the performance. Anything I should remove, add, use instead? Any problems that I would run into. Probably going to do a soft OC nothing extreme and may dabble with some folding to join in on the fun.

All and any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N550 Dual Core 1.50 Ghz NVIDIA ION 1GB 250GB 5400RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
N/A Windows 7 Starter 1024 x 600 WSVGA Onboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock ASUS 1015PN-PU17 (Black) Logitech G9 Whatever Works 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N550 Dual Core 1.50 Ghz NVIDIA ION 1GB 250GB 5400RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
N/A Windows 7 Starter 1024 x 600 WSVGA Onboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock ASUS 1015PN-PU17 (Black) Logitech G9 Whatever Works 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Hello mate

I'm thinking, why Windows 7 Ultimate? Home Premium Retail is almost the same. So I'd check to see if you really need Ultimate

The PSU, is it any good? Because you want a good one, over super high watts!

And is that Ram 1.5v? Because SB is supposed to use 1.5v Ram

That Mobo! Does it do Sli/xfire?
Because, never say never when it comes to wanting more power later down the road!
I would get the Pro, in-fact I did
But yeah, looks good
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
I recommend getting some nice low timing Ram with 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz? Why? because well, you can overclock most DDR3 1333mhz to 1866mhz and beyond without much effort_ Its a personal recommendation from me =] It could save you money_ All it takes is loosening the ram timings a bit and then bumping the Ram multiplier up. Most do recommend 1600mhz ram but personally I think its a waste of money for a pre-overclock ram_

Here's a thread I did a while back relating to this matter(Please note the promo code no longer applies) http://www.overclock.net/intel-memor...money-get.html

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate is neat for the name, but unless you really need the drive encryption software it isn't really worth the extra cost. Windows 7 Professional is much better. I learn that the hard way, purchasing Ultimate thinking I have the best but ultimately it hurted my pocket because I didn't even use the encryption feature it includes which in terms = waste of money. But if you do use the encryption feature & the multi-language feature(Which most of us don't use since for all its just plan english) then it'll benefit you for sure. So go with Windows 7 Professional =]

Save your money in these parts and put it towards the Asus P8P67 Pro instead because it gives you 8x/8x PCI-E speeds when in SLi/Crossfire Mode instead of the Asus P8P67 which only allows you 4x speeds on the second PCI-E Slot(Someone made a thread on this that at 4x the graphics performance is pretty poor compared to 8x/8x SLi configuration. This is just in case down the road you get the itch to grab another GTX580 for SLi =]

The Kingwin Lazer 1000 is a nice PSU, but its a tad bit overkill for even an overclock i52500k and two GTX580 setup_ Get the Kingwin Lazer Gold 850watt model (You get a gold rated PSU to help on your electric bill) 850watt is plenty for your setup even if you do add another GTX 580 down the road. Most Dual SLi GTX580 with an overclock CPU setup with/HDDs/SSDs/Other misc things don't pull more than 700-750watts.

Well thats my input, just trying to help you save a few dollars for other fancy things you can purchase lol
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
If your ordering from newegg sign up for that Shop-Runner free 2day shipping thing, IT really saves money on shipping =] You get basically everything shipped for free costing you nothing for the 30day trial _ After you're done with your order just cancel the membership LOL,
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Another suggestion on harddrives, its best to get these

89.99 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533
1TB storage + 64mb cache and the new Sata 6.0gbs_ Thats newer technology for a good price_ You could save more and get these

62.99 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795
1TB Storage + 32mb cache and the new Sata 6.0gbs

The difference is the cache_

First thing to do is assess how much storage space you really do need, I think majority of users don't use more than 1TB of storage in their whole life unless you have massive copys of you're dvds on your drives.

If so save a bit more money and go for 2x 500gb harddrives_
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i72600K Sandybridge @ 4.8ghz MSi P67A-GD65 Galaxy GTX 580 @930mhz GSkill CL7 2x4gb 1333 @ 1866 9-10-9-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 128gb SSD w/1TB HDD Asus DVD-RW/CDRW Windows 7 Professional Gateway HD2201 22in LED 1080 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Azza Salano 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Samsung F3's are the best for 1TB drives.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
Samsung F3's are the best for 1TB drives.
I will have to agree with this.
Nickzorz Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Sapphire OC 7970 Samsung 8GB Low Voltage 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial M4 128GB Hyper 212 Evo Corsair TX650v2 NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Nickzorz Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Sapphire OC 7970 Samsung 8GB Low Voltage 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial M4 128GB Hyper 212 Evo Corsair TX650v2 NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post
Hello mate

I'm thinking, why Windows 7 Ultimate? Home Premium Retail is almost the same. So I'd check to see if you really need Ultimate

The PSU, is it any good? Because you want a good one, over super high watts!

And is that Ram 1.5v? Because SB is supposed to use 1.5v Ram

That Mobo! Does it do Sli/xfire?
Because, never say never when it comes to wanting more power later down the road!
I would get the Pro, in-fact I did
But yeah, looks good
I don't have any experience with 7 but vista ultimate was the way to go, if home gets the job done so be it. The ram was with a combo with the board. I guess I can "future-proof" my self just in case I add another 580. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by httuner View Post
I recommend getting some nice low timing Ram with 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz? Why? because well, you can overclock most DDR3 1333mhz to 1866mhz and beyond without much effort_ Its a personal recommendation from me =] It could save you money_ All it takes is loosening the ram timings a bit and then bumping the Ram multiplier up. Most do recommend 1600mhz ram but personally I think its a waste of money for a pre-overclock ram_

Here's a thread I did a while back relating to this matter(Please note the promo code no longer applies) http://www.overclock.net/intel-memor...money-get.html

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate is neat for the name, but unless you really need the drive encryption software it isn't really worth the extra cost. Windows 7 Professional is much better. I learn that the hard way, purchasing Ultimate thinking I have the best but ultimately it hurted my pocket because I didn't even use the encryption feature it includes which in terms = waste of money. But if you do use the encryption feature & the multi-language feature(Which most of us don't use since for all its just plan english) then it'll benefit you for sure. So go with Windows 7 Professional =]

Save your money in these parts and put it towards the Asus P8P67 Pro instead because it gives you 8x/8x PCI-E speeds when in SLi/Crossfire Mode instead of the Asus P8P67 which only allows you 4x speeds on the second PCI-E Slot(Someone made a thread on this that at 4x the graphics performance is pretty poor compared to 8x/8x SLi configuration. This is just in case down the road you get the itch to grab another GTX580 for SLi =]

The Kingwin Lazer 1000 is a nice PSU, but its a tad bit overkill for even an overclock i52500k and two GTX580 setup_ Get the Kingwin Lazer Gold 850watt model (You get a gold rated PSU to help on your electric bill) 850watt is plenty for your setup even if you do add another GTX 580 down the road. Most Dual SLi GTX580 with an overclock CPU setup with/HDDs/SSDs/Other misc things don't pull more than 700-750watts.

Well thats my input, just trying to help you save a few dollars for other fancy things you can purchase lol
So that 850 would be a safe bet then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by httuner View Post
Another suggestion on harddrives, its best to get these

89.99 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533
1TB storage + 64mb cache and the new Sata 6.0gbs_ Thats newer technology for a good price_ You could save more and get these

62.99 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795
1TB Storage + 32mb cache and the new Sata 6.0gbs

The difference is the cache_

First thing to do is assess how much storage space you really do need, I think majority of users don't use more than 1TB of storage in their whole life unless you have massive copys of you're dvds on your drives.

If so save a bit more money and go for 2x 500gb harddrives_
I have a huge media collection on externals (720p & 1080p Blu-Ray rips) that I want to localize and add to.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N550 Dual Core 1.50 Ghz NVIDIA ION 1GB 250GB 5400RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
N/A Windows 7 Starter 1024 x 600 WSVGA Onboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock ASUS 1015PN-PU17 (Black) Logitech G9 Whatever Works 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N550 Dual Core 1.50 Ghz NVIDIA ION 1GB 250GB 5400RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
N/A Windows 7 Starter 1024 x 600 WSVGA Onboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock ASUS 1015PN-PU17 (Black) Logitech G9 Whatever Works 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Doesn't the Home Premium version of Windows have a 16GB RAM limit?
Maybe that's why he's going with Ultimate. In case he wants to exceed 16GB some time in the future.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post
Hello mate

I'm thinking, why Windows 7 Ultimate? Home Premium Retail is almost the same. So I'd check to see if you really need Ultimate

The PSU, is it any good? Because you want a good one, over super high watts!

And is that Ram 1.5v? Because SB is supposed to use 1.5v Ram

That Mobo! Does it do Sli/xfire?
Because, never say never when it comes to wanting more power later down the road!
I would get the Pro, in-fact I did
But yeah, looks good
Im thinking why buy Windows 7?

Seriously the setup looks good, im shocked your getting a 1000w for $150.
Goodluck with your rig!
Edited by Gawdz - 4/19/11 at 8:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Possible Sandy Build. Need input, been out of the game.