Originally Posted by Dtrain
Well I had already been in search for a new PSU and I figured using my current PSU would be pushing it or wouldn't allow me to Overclock, so I was looking into one I didn't realize a 850W would literally be overkill. Does anyone have a PSU they could recommend me, as my GPU just came in today.
Your current PSU has enough power and it seems to be relatively ok for overclocking so far, however it's just that I personally wouldn't trust it for my own system for the long haul, nor would I ever recommend it to someone looking for a new PSU.
So I mean, I say install the 2nd 5870 and enjoy it while simultaneously shopping around for a better PSU.
Also, if you're absolutely 100% certain that you will be Crossfiring or SLI'ing two cards that create the need for a good 750W power supply, then here are just a few of my personal 750W recommendations (sorted by price):
- Antec High Current Gamer for $109.99 shipped (non-modular), comes with a $10 Mail-In Rebate
- XFX Core Edition for $120.98 shipped (modular, but not as good as their "Black" or "XXX" editions), comes with a $20 Mail-In Rebate
- Corsair TX750 V2 for $124.98 (non-modular), comes with a $10 Mail-In Rebate
- Antec TruePower New with a blue LED fan for $135.98 shipped (the regular one is not in stock at Newegg right now)
- XFX Black Edition for $135.98 shipped (modular), comes with a $20 Mail-In Rebate
I think the highest quality unit in this list is the XFX Black Edition, however the best value in this list might be the XFX Core Edition. Although either way, all five of these are quite a bit better than the BFG unit you currently have.