Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Booting new pc for the first time; not turning on
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Booting new pc for the first time; not turning on - Page 9

post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblue View Post
I don't know if I'm using the correct cable... but I'm definitely not using a PCI-E one. the cable is labelled "cpu" at one end which fits into the psu then the other end is 8 pins which go into the 12V...
Please fill out your system specs, it would be easier to determine what the problem is/may be if you did, you can do this by clicking "USER CP" at the top and then navigate to the left where it says "ADD SYSTEM" or "EDIT SYSTEM".

Also possibly post pictures of how you connected everything?

Stupid question but you did turn on the PSU right? And it's plugged into a socket that works (and is grounded)?
post #82 of 97
Thread Starter 
Ok, I talked with asus and I don't know, they'll probably give me an RMA or something.. but I don't really want to do it because they'll probably just give me a refurb and I didn't even get to use it yet... So I managed to get a return from the retailer but I'm going to have to pay for the postage. If there's nothing wrong with the mobo, I'll have to pay restocking fee as well.

I took the psu to ncix where I got it and they confirmed that it's working fine. They can't check anything else for me unless I pay $100 service charge though. I'll pay it if I have to later, after I get a new mobo and it still doesn't work.

I swapped the graphics card because I have two HD6950s and it still doesn't work. Probably not the graphics card.
I tried using both my ram one at a time on all 4 slots and it still doesn't work.
Probably not the ram.

So I've narrowed it down the mobo or cpu.
The symptom is that when I turn on the psu switch, the standby light turns on. But when I short the power pins, there is no POST, no bios, no boot, no fans, no lights. Assuming the cpu is ok (I really can't check but it looks fine when I look at it and it's seating).

I should return it then right? It's likely the mobo?
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Please fill out your system specs, it would be easier to determine what the problem is/may be if you did, you can do this by clicking "USER CP" at the top and then navigate to the left where it says "ADD SYSTEM" or "EDIT SYSTEM".

Also possibly post pictures of how you connected everything?

Stupid question but you did turn on the PSU right? And it's plugged into a socket that works (and is grounded)?
K, System specs added.

I have some pics on pg 5 of this thread. Couldn't get some clear shots so I drew some pics of how I plugged them. I did try different sockets and different rooms. It didn't do anything.
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 97
did you check for bent pins on the cpu slot? it happened to me too.
Little Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3930k Rampage IV Gene EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW G.Skill Sniper 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Western Digital Caviar green Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ap-15 x4 Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH232H Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650w Fractal Arc Mini Cooler Master Xornet 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3930k Rampage IV Gene EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW G.Skill Sniper 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Western Digital Caviar green Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ap-15 x4 Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH232H Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650w Fractal Arc Mini Cooler Master Xornet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 97
check for anything shorting the motherboard out like metal or something
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0/c1 @3.8 w/1.275 volts evga x58 sli vanilla  MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8 GB 12gb ddr3 1066 gskill @1600 9/9/9/24/74/1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 2.5" 512GB SSD, 1tb & 500gb wd 72... lg 24x dvd/cd burner win 7 64bit 23.6" ASUS 
PowerCase
850w antec antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 c0/c1 @3.8 w/1.275 volts evga x58 sli vanilla  MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8 GB 12gb ddr3 1066 gskill @1600 9/9/9/24/74/1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 2.5" 512GB SSD, 1tb & 500gb wd 72... lg 24x dvd/cd burner win 7 64bit 23.6" ASUS 
PowerCase
850w antec antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblue View Post
Ok, I talked with asus and I don't know, they'll probably give me an RMA or something.. but I don't really want to do it because they'll probably just give me a refurb and I didn't even get to use it yet... So I managed to get a return from the retailer but I'm going to have to pay for the postage. If there's nothing wrong with the mobo, I'll have to pay restocking fee as well.

I took the psu to ncix where I got it and they confirmed that it's working fine. They can't check anything else for me unless I pay $100 service charge though. I'll pay it if I have to later, after I get a new mobo and it still doesn't work.

I swapped the graphics card because I have two HD6950s and it still doesn't work. Probably not the graphics card.
I tried using both my ram one at a time on all 4 slots and it still doesn't work.
Probably not the ram.

So I've narrowed it down the mobo or cpu.
The symptom is that when I turn on the psu switch, the standby light turns on. But when I short the power pins, there is no POST, no bios, no boot, no fans, no lights. Assuming the cpu is ok (I really can't check but it looks fine when I look at it and it's seating).

I should return it then right? It's likely the mobo?
Probably the mobo. in my experience the PC should still power on with a bad CPU, but it wont POST or do anything other than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophath View Post
did you check for bent pins on the cpu slot? it happened to me too.
that's pretty hard to do, so unless it came that way it would be highly doubtful. Also, if it is, then ASUS will most likely deny the RMA, as i believe most manufacturers policy is that the warranty is void if the socket is damaged in any way, unless you can prove that it came that way new.....
post #87 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophath View Post
did you check for bent pins on the cpu slot? it happened to me too.

Pins look fine as far as I can tell... Even if it is bent though, I'd have to return the mobo then anyway right?
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis158 View Post
Probably the mobo. in my experience the PC should still power on with a bad CPU, but it wont POST or do anything other than that.



that's pretty hard to do, so unless it came that way it would be highly doubtful. Also, if it is, then ASUS will most likely deny the RMA, as i believe most manufacturers policy is that the warranty is void if the socket is damaged in any way, unless you can prove that it came that way new.....
By "power on", do you mean fans should turn and light up? Because I'm literally not getting any reaction.
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy bridge rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 3.40ghz (4.3ghz turbo) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe HD6950 unlocked xfire G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 X-850W Seasonic Gold 
Case
Antec 1200 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 97
Grasping at straws here, but did you plug the CPU fan into the CPU fan connector?
The board might not power on if it does not detect a CPU fan.
Short Stuff
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 945 Asus M5A97 R2.0 Asus HD 6570 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black Samsung F3 Samsung SH-203B 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U12P Windows 10 Home Samsung 32" LCD HDTV 720p Logitech K330 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS560-KM CM 690 II Logitech M215 Staples 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers Motorola SB6141 Modem Netgear WNDR3700V3 Router 
  hide details  
Reply
Short Stuff
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 945 Asus M5A97 R2.0 Asus HD 6570 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black Samsung F3 Samsung SH-203B 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U12P Windows 10 Home Samsung 32" LCD HDTV 720p Logitech K330 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS560-KM CM 690 II Logitech M215 Staples 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers Motorola SB6141 Modem Netgear WNDR3700V3 Router 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 97
I had exactly the same problem with my build. I took it apart, then I made an RMA request and decided to assemble it on the motherboard box. It worked, I think it was the CPU not being seated properly. Try reseating the CPU.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro GTX 570 4GB G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB F3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Ubuntu Dual Boot BenQ XL2410T 3D Vision Filco 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-750 HAF X - Nvidia Edition Mionix Naos 5000 Mionix Propus 380 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro GTX 570 4GB G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB F3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Ubuntu Dual Boot BenQ XL2410T 3D Vision Filco 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-750 HAF X - Nvidia Edition Mionix Naos 5000 Mionix Propus 380 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Booting new pc for the first time; not turning on