Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Why are people buying fast Sandybridge setups and ignoring SSD's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are people buying fast Sandybridge setups and ignoring SSD's? - Page 70  

Poll Results: Should a enthusiast system in 2011 consist of a SSD amongst the other great hardware?

 
  • 64% (69)
    Yes!!!
  • 35% (38)
    No...
107 Total Votes  
post #691 of 851
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet View Post
A system's balance depends on the user's need, which is something I stated in my last post and something you ignored. Again, you're trying to fit OTHERS' systems determined on what YOU see as balanced. That doesn't work. Let it go. Not everyone wants an SSD even though they are faster.
Sorry, I do not agree with your logic. This is OCN, people want faster and better all the time. There is no reason spending alot on high-en CPU's, mobos and graphics cards, leaving SSD's out of the equation.

There is no logic to you're statement. You know just as well as I, what a well balanced system is about.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
post #692 of 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Sorry, I do not agree with your logic. This is OCN, people want faster and better all the time. There is no reason spending alot on high-en CPU's, mobos and graphics cards, leaving SSD's out of the equation.

There is no logic to you're statement. You know just as well as I, what a well balanced system is about.
Or buy crazy priced SSD's while leaving new cpu tech that is 15 - 20% faster than the old tech they are running out of the sytem...


Alright... Im done, just as pointless as your other threads...

And yes, its all our fault we dont see your logic. You must be right...
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
post #693 of 851
I got to chime in, just because it's you turrican.

I won't buy a SSD for one reason only: They aren't so incredibly fast as to make the investment worthwhile. I am not so hard pressed for time that the extra few seconds it takes to access data is worth the insane increase in $$/GB. A 250GB SSD is roughly $550; a 250GB HDD is only $50; if my math is correct, that's 1000%. Both hold my OS and Windows 7 loads on my machine in just a few ticks over a minute.

That's why I only own HDDs.

However, I wouild NEVER, EVER fault anyone on OCN for owning ANYTHING. That is anathema to the culture here.
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
post #694 of 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Sorry, I do not agree with your logic. This is OCN, people want faster and better all the time. There is no reason spending alot on high-en CPU's, mobos and graphics cards, leaving SSD's out of the equation.

There is no logic to you're statement. You know just as well as I, what a well balanced system is about.
What if someone uses their PC mainly for tasks that will get a much greater benefit from having the fastest CPU out there rather than having a SSD? Most of us don't have unlimited budgets. You need to realize that your ideal isn't everyone's ideal.
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
post #695 of 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Why shouldn't you be able to push them to 100%?? Bottleneck is because you're missing out the whole experience of using a SSD. Everything will be much snappier and load much faster. Your computer as a whole will feel and be much faster.

Doesn't matter how fast your CPU can encode or anything else, as long as you're being slowed down by harddrives you're really missing the point of an enthusiast system, as a whole...
Now THAT, the bolded, is much more objective and reasonable.

Just remember too, even with an SSD, it's STILL going to be the slowest part of the system. Yeah, you speed it up, but it's still the slowest part by far, and it's still not imperative to many tasks for the cost, so it's still not necessity. The hard drive plays a part in computing, but it's generally for storage. The other parts, like CPU, RAM, GPU, etc., do the actual "computing". It makes sense that these parts get more of the priority.

SSDs are nice, but they're not for everyone... not yet, anyway. As the price per GB drops, and overall larger sizes are made available, then it'll start to transform the idea of mechanical drives being used at all. That time isn't here yet though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Sorry, I do not agree with your logic. This is OCN, people want faster and better all the time. There is no reason spending alot on high-en CPU's, mobos and graphics cards, leaving SSD's out of the equation.

There is no logic to you're statement. You know just as well as I, what a well balanced system is about.
This is absolutely false. We all know hard drives are the slowest link, but in most of the actual computing, outside general use, it does not STOP the rest of the chain from making an impact. If it did, we'd see no gains upgrading those other parts, but we do.

In a perfect world, yeah, we'd all have the best of everything and perfectly balanced systems in every way, and we all want, want, want more, more, more, but that's very unrealistic. It's pretty shortsighted by just seeing it as "better equals the only logical conclusion", and if "this is OCN, you should all have SSDs" is your reasoning, I round back to my first post in this thread where I said we'd then also need better monitors, better audio equipment, better desks, etc., etc., and where does it end?

This brings us ultimately right back to something you're missing. A system needs to fulfill the USER'S needs, not YOUR idea of logic. If a user doesn't need an SSD, even if they want one, which is where I fall, then so be it. Yes, SSDs are nice. I bet they're smooth and a new world. However, you can't realistically try and say it's only logical to need to have one if you have CPU X or GPU Y or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
What if someone uses their PC mainly for tasks that will get a much greater benefit from having the fastest CPU out there rather than having a SSD? Most of us don't have unlimited budgets. You need to realize that your ideal isn't everyone's ideal.
Bingo. This is what I'm saying.
Edited by Princess Garnet - 4/20/11 at 5:31pm
post #696 of 851
Thread Starter 
Okey. I've started a poll. Most of the SSD haters are here now. But we'll se how it goes..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
post #697 of 851
In the OP, you said a slow hard drive is a bottleneck. This is true when looking at overall system performance and load times. Game graphics (I said graphics, not game load times) or 3D rendering times are hardly affected by hard drive speed. I opted for a system that would perform well in game graphics and rendering times, so hard drive speed was not priority, while cpu, gfx card and mobo were. It would be nice (not priority mind you) to have an ssd, but I don't have the funds now.
second rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k p8z77 v pro evga gtx 670 vengeance 2x4 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x m4 c400 128 gb raid 0 asus drw nh d14 windows 7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
28" Hanns G HG281D g110 tx 750 v2 nzxt phantom 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
g500 made in mexico onboard onboard 
  hide details  
second rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k p8z77 v pro evga gtx 670 vengeance 2x4 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x m4 c400 128 gb raid 0 asus drw nh d14 windows 7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
28" Hanns G HG281D g110 tx 750 v2 nzxt phantom 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
g500 made in mexico onboard onboard 
  hide details  
post #698 of 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Okey. I've started a poll. Most of the SSD haters are here now. But we'll se how it goes..
I doubt anyone "hates" SSDs. Some just have opinions that believe they aren't entirely necessary for their own use. It's not that hard to see. Is it supposed to just be Black or White, no in-between?
post #699 of 851
I had to vote "No" based on the word "Should". I think an Enthusiast's system "Might" contain an SSD; however, I disagree that one need be present for that user to be considered and Enthusiast.

If that were the case, then wouldn't it be fair to say that that system SHOULD contain the top of the line Audio Hardware? Video Hardware? In fact, once we start saying that a system SHOULD contain any single piece of High End tech, wouldn't it follow to say that a TRUE ENTHUSIAST (Angel Choir in background) MUST contain all of the fastest, newest, and most extravagant hardware available, simply because it's there?

I say enjoy your SSD. Yes, I am a bit jealous. Some day, when the cost comes down to reasonable levels, I, too, will own one. Shoot, I might have to buy one soon, now, just because of this thread!!
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
post #700 of 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Sorry, I do not agree with your logic. This is OCN, people want faster and better all the time. There is no reason spending alot on high-en CPU's, mobos and graphics cards, leaving SSD's out of the equation.

There is no logic to you're statement. You know just as well as I, what a well balanced system is about.
Agreed, agreed. I bleed agreed.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 stepping @ 4.+GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK-FB-R3E water block MSI GTX 480s in 3-Way SLI Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 1600 6GB (3 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB ASUS CD/DVD burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Triple) ASUS VW266H 19x12 each @ 5760 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Wave 450 Black (Dual) Corsair HX1000s Mountain Mods Ascension (modded) Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
(Dual) XTracPads Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 stepping @ 4.+GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK-FB-R3E water block MSI GTX 480s in 3-Way SLI Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 1600 6GB (3 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB ASUS CD/DVD burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Triple) ASUS VW266H 19x12 each @ 5760 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Wave 450 Black (Dual) Corsair HX1000s Mountain Mods Ascension (modded) Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
(Dual) XTracPads Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Why are people buying fast Sandybridge setups and ignoring SSD's?