Overclock.net banner

Minimum Build to run BFBC2

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Kevlo 
#1 ·
Another buddy of mine wants the cheapest computer that can run BFBC2 on high settings. Anyone have any suggested builds?

This thing doesn't need to be fancy, but he's hoping to stay under $500 including OS.

I posted it in the AMD section because I'm assuming AMD will be the best bang for buck.

#2 ·
Show him the 12min video of BF3.

Tell him to aim for that.

Up his budget!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Show him the 12min video of BF3.

Tell him to aim for that.

Up his budget!

Haha yes I doubt he has the funds to run it on high or even medium settings... I am in disbelief that a game can look so good!

#7 ·
#8 ·
#11 ·
get an i3 2100t
and one of these open box msi's before they run out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...45%2fP55%2fP67

the ram cheapest you can like ochtohedron said

the case oh man you could build such a sick woden case for free( if you have the tools for it )
if not 25 total for the cutting tools maybe free if you borrow from somebody

psu would say get something that will be at about 65 bucks this is a good one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171031
was trying to find the gx450 but unable

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosSpiceyWeiner
View Post

Out of curiosity how much would this CPU hold you back?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103903

I know there is no L3 cache, but would it work?

That would be a severe bottleneck. My triple core is such a bottleneck in BC2 my GPU usage never goes above 50% forcing me to play on the lowest settings to get a playable frame rate. If I unlock the 4th core then I can max it out easily though I haven't checked the usage.

Edit: Just noticed the low GPU usage was because of playing on low settings. Got about the same frame rate maxed out but my usage went up to around 70%.

#14 ·
why are people saying intel?
best bang for buck is certainly amd, if he waits till the Bulldozer CPU's come out then the price of phenom II quads will go down quite abit so then jsut get one of them with a cheap am2+/am3 socket mobo and some cheap ddr3 as prices are falling so quickly.
small sata 2 hdd nice and cheap aswell.
as for case less than 50 for one with a psu,
GPU... hardest choice depends how much money he has left, if he can get a DX11 card, this is the area to splash out so you can plan for the future

#17 ·
Honestly for extreme budget rigs like this, I often find it's more cost effective to take a cheap pre-built and upgrade the PSU + GPU. Manufacturers tend to eat the cost of Windows 7, and thats like literally 1/5 of your budget.

It all depends if your friend is looking at this as a 1 shot purchase or is planning to be able to upgrade it some down the road.

#19 ·
I *think* this build will work for you. Just configured it at 'da egg.

DVD: Lite-On 24X SATA Bulk ($19.99, maybe you could find cheaper)

Case: APEX BLack Steel ATX Mid Tower ($19.99, but a cardboard box would work just as well..)

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7,200RPM ($36.99)

Mobo: Biostar A780L3L AM3 760G m-ATX ($49.99, one PCIe slot)

GPU: Sapphire 100282XTREME Radeon 5850 Xtreme 1GB ($144.99)

Silverstone STrider Essential Series 600W ($69.99)

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066 ($39.99)

CPU: Athlon II X4 640 Propus @ 3.0GHz ($99.99)

Total, $481.92 before shipping. Prices and items taken from dat egg (USD).

• Rep+
Reactions: ThirtySixNights
#22 ·
Minimum config could be a PII X3 720BE + 4Gigs RAM + ATI 5770.This should deliver at least 50-70 FPS at 1680 X 1050.
The CPU can be very well a PII X4 955 which will enhance the FPS a little towards 70-90 FPS or more in W7.
The quad is recommended for smoother game experience.I would avoid the X 6 as the game is a console port knowing only 4 CPU cores.
This is decent in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrofff;13208468
yh OS cost so much, i decided to ....... get mine from somewhere if you get me
wink.gif
Yes but warrez can give you a lot of issues starting from viruses worms botneting and so on and ending with private info leakage.
You can loose your Steam accounts and so on ,the pirate OS stealing you any info you type.This in case you re not warezing the games too
smile.gif

Furthermore W7 is the only Microsoft OS that deserves to be bought.A OEM license should be cheap enough.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromihetes;13213708
Minimum config could be a PII X3 720BE + 4Gigs RAM + ATI 5770.This should deliver at least 50-70 FPS at 1680 X 1050.
The CPU can be very well a PII X4 955 which will enhance the FPS a little towards 70-90 FPS or more in W7.
The quad is recommended for smoother game experience.I would avoid the X 6 as the game is a console port knowing only 4 CPU cores.
This is decent in my opinion.
This is a good reccomendation, or even if he wants to kick up the GPU a bit, he could get a 6850

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.