Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › 2011 Gaming "BF3" Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Gaming "BF3" Build - Page 4

post #31 of 38
I would get the i5 2500k and some pc 1600 ram, like these.

Definitely go i5 tho, it will be about the same price as the other proc but miles ahead in performance and overclockability.

Link to i5 2500k at microcenter

Still 179.99. I also checked and both Chicago area stores have quite a few in stock. Trust me, you won't go wrong with that proc. You will also be able to overclock much better with the pc1600 ram.

You can get 4.5 ghz pretty easily with a decent cooler. And speaking of coolers, you may consider going with this one as it is less than half the price of the one you listed, and I believe performs just as well (1500 reviews with a 5 egg average can't be wrong!).
Edited by fuloran1 - 7/24/11 at 7:22am
post #32 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuloran1 View Post
I would get the i5 2500k and some pc 1600 ram, like these.

Definitely go i5 tho, it will be about the same price as the other proc but miles ahead in performance and overclockability.

Link to i5 2500k at microcenter

Still 179.99. I also checked and both Chicago area stores have quite a few in stock. Trust me, you won't go wrong with that proc. You will also be able to overclock much better with the pc1600 ram.

You can get 4.5 ghz pretty easily with a decent cooler. And speaking of coolers, you may consider going with this one as it is less than half the price of the one you listed, and I believe performs just as well (1500 reviews with a 5 egg average can't be wrong!).
Thanks. Any thoughts on a good motherboard to pair with that i5?
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1990 View Post
Thanks. Any thoughts on a good motherboard to pair with that i5?
Yep, I am upgrading to i5 myself this week and am getting the ASRock P67 EXTREME4.

I am also getting the ram I recommended to you (ripjaws).
post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 
Awesome. Looks like that will be my build unless I change my mind.
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1990 View Post
Awesome. Looks like that will be my build unless I change my mind.
Awesome man, you won't be disappointed. Glad I could help!
post #36 of 38
Thread Starter 
Still have a few questions.

What sound card should I get, if any? Something under $60. I was thinking about the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio or ASUS Xonar DS.

The 8GB of RAM, is it worth it if I'm only running a 32-bit OS?

Should I get another GTX560 and SLi or get rid of it and get the GTX570? I am thinking about upgrading the monitor to one that has 1920x1080 during the Black Friday deals. I'm leaning towards the GTX570 because it'll run cooler, use less power, and no SLi hassle.
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1990 View Post
Still have a few questions.

What sound card should I get, if any? Something under $60. I was thinking about the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio or ASUS Xonar DS.

The 8GB of RAM, is it worth it if I'm only running a 32-bit OS?

Should I get another GTX560 and SLi or get rid of it and get the GTX570? I am thinking about upgrading the monitor to one that has 1920x1080 during the Black Friday deals. I'm leaning towards the GTX570 because it'll run cooler, use less power, and no SLi hassle.
Woah, 32 bit os? Then only get 4gb of ram. 8gb is a waste as a 32 bit os can't address more that 3.5gb. Can I ask why you're getting a 32 bit os? Isn't 64 bit the same price?

I don't like sound cards personally, most of the crashing issues I have had over the years have been due to sound cards. I think the onboard sound is good enough for me, just my opinion.

2 560's will certainly out perform a single 570, but you're right in that there can certainly be SLI issues. I will say that many people here run those cards in SLI without issues though. I am planning to crossfire my 6950 at some point. If you're looking for pure performance go with 2 560's.
Edited by fuloran1 - 9/29/11 at 5:03am
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuloran1 View Post
Woah, 32 bit os? Then only get 4gb of ram. 8gb is a waste as a 32 bit os can't address more that 3.5gb. Can I ask why you're getting a 32 bit os? Isn't 64 bit the same price?

I don't like sound cards personally, most of the crashing issues I have had over the years have been due to sound cards. I think the onboard sound is good enough for me, just my opinion.

2 560's will certainly out perform a single 570, but you're right in that there can certainly be SLI issues. I will say that many people here run those cards in SLI without issues though. I am planning to crossfire my 6950 at some point. If you're looking for pure performance go with 2 560's.
The only thing I don't like about the SLI 560's is the power consumption. I already own a 32bit OS, so I won't be buying one.
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom Power
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 PNY GTX 780 3GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 6Gb/s Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 3Gb/s Seagate Barracuda 2TB 6Gb/s LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 ACER LED 27" 1920 x 1080 Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 HAF 912 Logitech G5 RAZER eXactMat 
AudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Canon Pixma MG2200 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › 2011 Gaming "BF3" Build