Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › bigadv without the big advantage ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

bigadv without the big advantage ?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I wanted to complete some SMP WU's so that I could qualify for the bigadv when the Chimpin started.

Left my rig folding SMP last night and all day today and all was well. Got home and F@H could not connect for a new WU. Restarted client and restarted the computer (and a few other combos of things) and still would not connect.

Anyway, when I managed to get it to connect, I had the bigadv entered at the same time so it grabbed a 6900 WU that is going to take like 2 days to finish.

I have only got 6 WU's so far and I may have got some with my last rig though not many since it did not perform well at them, so I do not even know if I have my 10 yet.

1. So guess I what want to know is will F@H send a bigadv WU before you qualify for the bonus ?

2. If not, is there a way to quit this and get a smaller WU ? Or am I stuck with it, cannot remember how folding works with this.
Edited by K3VL4R - 4/21/11 at 6:10pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
I wanted to complete some SMP WU's so that I could qualify for the bigadv when the Chimpin started.

Left my rig folding SMP last night and all day today and all was well. Got home and F@H could not connect for a new WU. Restarted client and restarted the computer (and a few other combos of things) and still would not connect.

Anyway, when I managed to get it to connect, I had the bigadv entered at the same time so it grabbed a 6900 WU that is going to take like 2 days to finish.

I have only got 6 WU's so far and I may have got some with my last rig though not many since it did not perform well at them, so I do not even know if I have my 10 yet.

1. So guess I what want to know is will it send the bigadv before you qualify for the bonus ?

2. If yes, is there a way to quit this and get a smaller WU ? Or am I stuck with it, cannot remember how folding works with this.
Yes it can send the bigadv unit in even if you haven't qualified for bonus yet and I think you'll only get somewhere around 8-9K.

If you want to cancel that unit you should delete queue.dat, work folder, and unitinfo.txt.

Get those smp units done so you can get started on bigadvs for real!
War Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Foxconn Bloodrage MSI GTX 470 SLI 6 Gb Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel x25m G2(OS) 1Tb WD Caviar Green Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ASUS242 24 inch, Hanns G 28 inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Haf 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Foxconn Bloodrage MSI GTX 470 SLI 6 Gb Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel x25m G2(OS) 1Tb WD Caviar Green Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ASUS242 24 inch, Hanns G 28 inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Haf 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Great, thanks !
post #4 of 8
My rigs have been struggling this whole foldathon trying to get smp units.
Folding Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 758 R.2 EVGA GT210 6gb Patriot DDR3 1600C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500gb Ubuntu 10.4 ACER 22" 1080P Antec Earthwatts 430w Delta 
Case
CM Storm Sniper 
  hide details  
Reply
Folding Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 758 R.2 EVGA GT210 6gb Patriot DDR3 1600C8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500gb Ubuntu 10.4 ACER 22" 1080P Antec Earthwatts 430w Delta 
Case
CM Storm Sniper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by louze001 View Post
My rigs have been struggling this whole foldathon trying to get smp units.
Yeah, sorry to put a bigadv to waste like this, but I need to make sure I have my WU's before committing that much time into one.

Or are they still worth it time/PPD wise ? I have not worked it out yet.


If I could ask another question on how much your upload speeds can hurt your PPD on a bigadv ?

I noticed that it uploads like a 100MB and my connection only has a .4Mbps upload with a 5Mbps download.
post #6 of 8
Don't delete it! Instead just copy the fah folder and save that bigadv for one day till you get enough SMP done. With a 2600K you should have enough SMPs done then just start that bigadv tomorrow.
Sig Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Powercolor 7870 16GB G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor PX-M3S SSD Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 23" Acer 1920x1080 1000 Watt Ultra X3 
Case
Zalman GS1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Powercolor 7870 16GB G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor PX-M3S SSD Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 23" Acer 1920x1080 1000 Watt Ultra X3 
Case
Zalman GS1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by louze001 View Post
My rigs have been struggling this whole foldathon trying to get smp units.
OK. I had misread your post the first time I read it. I was not sure if it was a problem fetching the WU's from Stanford or the way I had the client set up. After some more reading I decided to try the newest V6 client, so I got it set up and things seem to be a bit better so far. (Even if there still ends up being a problem fetching the WU's, at least it reconnects quicker then the way the other one was set up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Don't delete it! Instead just copy the fah folder and save that bigadv for one day till you get enough SMP done. With a 2600K you should have enough SMPs done then just start that bigadv tomorrow.
Thanks, but I had already cleared out the computer of the F@H files so there would be less chance of conflicts with the SMP set up the second time. There will be more of them around later on anyway.
Edited by K3VL4R - 4/22/11 at 8:29am
post #8 of 8
I am only going to say this once. Stop trolling each other, stop being so rude and stop being so harsh over a little mistake. These things happen, its not the end of the bloody world so stop stamping your feet around as if it is ! I am the kind of person who may benefit from folding and I myself am not annoyed about this so frankly chill out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › bigadv without the big advantage ?