Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Sound card + headphone suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sound card + headphone suggestions - Page 4

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
Well, I went around to couple places and listened to what they had to offer, and the Grado SR80i just sound amazing to me. I tried everything with a couple CDs in the stereo they had in store and also with my Zune listening to WMA lossless and the SR80i headphones just sounded great with everything. I was a bit worried when everyone was saying that they lacked bass, but it's just not as overstated as I usually hear, I'd call it clear and concise. I may lack the audiophile vocabulary to adequately explain my point, but I think you guys get it.

@Simca, I actually talked to the guy in store and he was also a PC oriented user. He suggested a DAC over the STX and also pointed out that I wouldn't really need to get an amp unless I bought the 125 and up.

So would you recommend the Musiland Monitor 02 or something else?
Glad to hear you went in personally and tried them out. FYI, the Alesandro MS-1's are modified Grados so take what you heard and then imagine it sounding better and that's what the Alessandro MS-1s are. Highly recommended if you liked the Grados (which I recommended to you ~smug grin~).

It depends on your budget really. If you have more money, you can find a better DAC but for the price the Musiland Monitor 02 is superb and beats the STX.

A user here is a huge metal/rock fan and owns both the Musiland Monitor 02 and Alesandro MS-1s. His user name is meticadpa. He used to patrol the audio section quite heavily in his day and has over 1200 rep. He's a good friend so feel free to private message him with any questions you may have about your purchase. He can answer any doubts or questions you may have about the two items. Tell him Simca sent you.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Glad to hear you went in personally and tried them out. FYI, the Alesandro MS-1's are modified Grados so take what you heard and then imagine it sounding better and that's what the Alessandro MS-1s are. Highly recommended if you liked the Grados (which I recommended to you ~smug grin~).

It depends on your budget really. If you have more money, you can find a better DAC but for the price the Musiland Monitor 02 is superb and beats the STX.

A user here is a huge metal/rock fan and owns both the Musiland Monitor 02 and Alesandro MS-1s. His user name is meticadpa. He used to patrol the audio section quite heavily in his day and has over 1200 rep. He's a good friend so feel free to private message him with any questions you may have about your purchase. He can answer any doubts or questions you may have about the two items. Tell him Simca sent you.
I'm familiar with Meticadpa, I'll definitely send him a PM and thanks for your help so far

I'm currently using the X-Fi surround, which is a USB variant of the Xtreme Music, I'm assuming a DAC would work about that same? Does it come with the same kind of software that the X-Fi does?
Atlas
(20 items)
 
M17x R4
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3740qm @ 3.9Ghz M17x R4 7970m @ 1Ghz Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
480gb seagate 600 SSD 500GB Seagate 2.5 Liton Slot-Load Blu-Ray Windows 10 x64 Tech Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
Atlas
(20 items)
 
M17x R4
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3740qm @ 3.9Ghz M17x R4 7970m @ 1Ghz Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
480gb seagate 600 SSD 500GB Seagate 2.5 Liton Slot-Load Blu-Ray Windows 10 x64 Tech Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
I'm familiar with Meticadpa, I'll definitely send him a PM and thanks for your help so far

I'm currently using the X-Fi surround, which is a USB variant of the Xtreme Music, I'm assuming a DAC would work about that same? Does it come with the same kind of software that the X-Fi does?
Shouldn't come with any software. That's the only downside if you actually USE the software with your x-fi.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Shouldn't come with any software. That's the only downside if you actually USE the software with your x-fi.
Well, I just use the crystallizer, because I think it sounds better, so that shouldn't be an issue since this will sound better. Other than that I'm just worried about compatibility type stuff. I also have Logitec X540 speakers I use when gaming (I believe you have these as well per your onboard sound thread ). So would this be able to output 5.1 channel sound to them? If so, would there be any issues getting in game surround working? Lastly, if I have my speakers plugged in, is it alright to plug the headphones into the 3.5 jack on the volume control or will I lose quality that way?
Atlas
(20 items)
 
M17x R4
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3740qm @ 3.9Ghz M17x R4 7970m @ 1Ghz Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
480gb seagate 600 SSD 500GB Seagate 2.5 Liton Slot-Load Blu-Ray Windows 10 x64 Tech Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
Atlas
(20 items)
 
M17x R4
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3740qm @ 3.9Ghz M17x R4 7970m @ 1Ghz Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
480gb seagate 600 SSD 500GB Seagate 2.5 Liton Slot-Load Blu-Ray Windows 10 x64 Tech Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
Well, I just use the crystallizer, because I think it sounds better, so that shouldn't be an issue since this will sound better. Other than that I'm just worried about compatibility type stuff. I also have Logitec X540 speakers I use when gaming (I believe you have these as well per your onboard sound thread ). So would this be able to output 5.1 channel sound to them? If so, would there be any issues getting in game surround working? Lastly, if I have my speakers plugged in, is it alright to plug the headphones into the 3.5 jack on the volume control or will I lose quality that way?
Theoretically you shouldn't lose quality via that jack.

But many external DACs do not come with 5.1 connections and just support headphones and 2.1 speakers.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Sound card + headphone suggestions