Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage - Page 12

post #111 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicifer;13268948 
ITT 11year olds hatin on Sony because their parents won't buy them a ps3.

I'm 27 and I still would need my parents to buy me a PS3 because they're so bloody expensive, twice the cost of an Xbox 360 rofl lmao.
post #112 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan;13270234 
I'm 27 and I still would need my parents to buy me a PS3 because they're so bloody expensive, twice the cost of an Xbox 360 rofl lmao.

Wow where do you live? tongue.gif
post #113 of 130
Everyone name dropping a mythical hacker group from a porn laden message board I see..... lol

Sony screws customers, so hacker group punishes Sony by screwing same customers.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9 Pentium 4 HT's @ 2.8 GHz Foxconn LS-36' s OB 4 GB server, 2 GB nodes 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
40 GB WD Fedora 10 24" LG LG wireless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
9 Antec 350's Wood, bars, rails..... you'll see. Microsoft IR UCF Golden Nights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan;13267549 
PSN has been down a lot more than once, and there are the disconnects I used to get as well (sold PS3 awhile ago). PSN always had slow download speeds as well, from both firmware upgrades to actual content. There definitely was a huge difference between max speed downloads on XBL all the time, and snail pace speeds on PSN. But you get what you pay for, PSN was free so I didn't expect fast quality service. For being free, PSN was good, it got the job done. But it does not compare to XBL, it doesn't hold a candle to it. The mutliplayer/server hosting/matchmaking that XBL has and PSN doesn't is reason enough for $3 a month. I owned both consoles at once, and every multiplatform game that has multiplayer myself and my friends bought for 360 just because of XBL. XBL was literally the deciding choice.

I know PSN goes down more than once. Usually any big firmware update, such as the cloud saving feature, it goes down for a few hours. Of which Sony announces.


I HARDLY see how anything else of what you said in your post has to do with PSN or XBL going down so why you brought this up I'm not quite sure.
In my experience PSN sometimes offers way better download speeds. Firmwares for whatever reason are slow, but compared to XBL - PSN can be much faster. Especially for things like movies and game downloads. I've sat watching XBL take a full hour trying to download DLC for Borderlands meanwhile my PS3 was able to download a full 2.5~GB Killzone 3 demo from PSN in 15 minutes flat.

I'm also not sure why you're turning this into a console vs console thing and talking about your friends preference of console when we're talking about maintenance down time for the service, but hey - if you wanna talk irrelevant, subjective, opinionated things too I'm all for it. You say owned, well I still own both consoles and the only reason I ever go on the Xbox is to either play an exclusive or to play with the majority of friends that only own a Xbox to play a particular game. And pretty much all of them want a PS3 to begin with. And again, this has nothing to do with the original argument.
Edited by OmegaNemesis28 - 4/25/11 at 9:23pm
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 130
My PS3 just turned on by itself to "Automatically Download" something. What? I don't know. But last I checked it can't do that unless PSN is up lol
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28;13279381 
My PS3 just turned on by itself to "Automatically Download" something. What? I don't know. But last I checked it can't do that unless PSN is up lol

Huh? So what happened? tongue.gif
post #117 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhRe4k;13279574 
Huh? So what happened? tongue.gif

I don't know. Good question. I waited, it turned off, I turned it on and nothing was different. Extremely odd. It was possessed!
Quote:
I'm 27 and I still would need my parents to buy me a PS3 because they're so bloody expensive, twice the cost of an Xbox 360 rofl lmao.

It's not twice the cost of an Xbox lol

199505-xbox-360-vs-ps3_original.png

Not to mention, there is a PS3 bundle with a PS3 exclusive game for practically every single one that comes out to this day and then some.
Oh and the 360 controllers use AA batteries while the PS3 charges. Buying rechargeable batteries for 360 costs another $40+, and they die within two months or so, thats another $40 every two months just like another monthly payment.

The $200 version of the 360 slim isn't listed because the comparison came out before that did, but you throw in Microsoft's overpriced hard drives and it's still no dice.


You're going so far off topic too.
Edited by OmegaNemesis28 - 4/26/11 at 12:33pm
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 130
Sony is still down, after what, 6 days? I don't think that was caused by some hacker using OtherOS - more like they blew up all of their servers.

Mayby Sony executives actually used PSN, found out it sucked, then just closed it without telling anyone else? Maybe they also found out that the PS3 is weak and needs a major update, especially with some more memory and better (that is, recent vintage) video? Or maybe they are still waiting for GeekSquad to fix their servers???
post #119 of 130
I like how Sony just keeps yapping about who did it. I wish they would just be quite and fix it.
Afterburner
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme 4.5Ghz Asus X99 Pro SLI Titan Xp Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400 DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD 2TB Black DVD/RW Combo Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Dell 3415W 21:9 Das Keyboard Ultimate Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-A77FA Logitech G9x Evga Titan Signature Pad DT 990 Creative Ti HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Afterburner
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme 4.5Ghz Asus X99 Pro SLI Titan Xp Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400 DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD 2TB Black DVD/RW Combo Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Dell 3415W 21:9 Das Keyboard Ultimate Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-A77FA Logitech G9x Evga Titan Signature Pad DT 990 Creative Ti HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #120 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777th;13281330 
I like how Sony just keeps yapping about who did it. I wish they would just be quite and fix it.

lol, Sony hasn't done any yapping they updated their blog a few times to keep us informed and mentioned once that it was an "external intrusion"




don't know how many of you have been checking news about this but i do it often and I've noticed a few rumours floating around the internet on various news sites.

Quote:
Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.
Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11.
Word of NGU users finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website. Update: Users have pointed out to me that these posts existed on NGU as of 4/2/11).
PSN goes down on 4/20/11
Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.
Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.
Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.


Source
Edited by DeadMau5 - 4/26/11 at 12:59pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Maximus III Extreme Sapphire 6950 4GB Dual channel XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 150GB velociraptor Samsung Bluray Reader Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2450 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000W Corsair Obsidian 800Degrees Celsius 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Maximus III Extreme Sapphire 6950 4GB Dual channel XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 150GB velociraptor Samsung Bluray Reader Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2450 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000W Corsair Obsidian 800Degrees Celsius 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage