Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage - Page 10

post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
XBL has 30 million members, half of which are Gold subs. So lets have some fun with this:

1 week ago:

Monthly income going towards XBL servers: $45,000,000
Monthly income going towards PSN servers: $0

XBL servers: UP
PSN servers: UP

Winner: PSN
Fixed. It is rare for either to go down. These types of arguments are silly.
Edited by AtomicFrost - 4/24/11 at 7:28am
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
Reply
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #92 of 130
This sucks. I need the PSN network for 5 minutes so I can activate Portal via steam and play on my PC. Sucksucksuck.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #93 of 130
Wow, this thread is filled with herps and Derps, Xbox Live has seen much more dark days than the Ps3, the console itself has MANY flaws, RRoD for the Old one and the RDoD (Red Dot Of Death) for the New Xbox, of those 30 Million members only half have working Xboxs (According to Falure Rate 2011) and of the 15 million with gold only 60% Have working Xboxs (Agin According to Xbox Failure Rate 2011)
post #94 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhRe4k View Post
Dude you have got to be crapping me. Somebody who is part of the "Teen Overclockers Club" shouldn't be making comments like that
Wow, uncalled for. Why would you even bring that up, that is irrelevant to the current argument ..
post #95 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post
Wow, uncalled for. Why would you even bring that up, that is irrelevant to the current argument ..
Oh please, don't be a baby Everyone who posts here is a geek in one way or another, so making those comments is really uncalled for and quite hypocritical
post #96 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrilmak View Post
I'm happy Sony put the network off line to fix security. That's something I guarantee you Microsoft would NEVER do with the XBox network. Sony had the balls to do it. So long as it helps keep my personal information away from thieves it's all good to me.
I've worked in IT for 17 years, and I can guarantee you that Sony along with 99% of other companies will not tell you willingly that your information has been comprimised. Most are too inept to know if it has ever happened to begin with.
You hear about it when they are forced to.

That Sony has said nothing regarding their customers data is interesting...
I'm now wondering if they left their customer info vulnerable.

Put another way, if something as complex as their security vulnerability for PS3 was uncovered because they made a very stupid mistake in their code. Yeah I watched the video and lol, what makes anyone think they did a more stringent design on their Internet Security. Highly doubtfull.

My fortune 500 company is just now getting around to closing down FTP's to BFE in Idaho etc, where we have no stores or customers. There was no investigation, footprints, they could just tell from the Firewall logs that data went out. No trace of "Source" internally because of what? Firewall zones internally, all over, that mask any servers IP address. They have no clue. They just move on, and that's half the problem.

They don't know what they don't know....likely Sony's dillemma. It may not be complicated.
post #97 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
This sucks. I need the PSN network for 5 minutes so I can activate Portal via steam and play on my PC. Sucksucksuck.
Same here, I hate it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
post #98 of 130
people need to stop hating everything.

Sony are a decent company. the PS3 is a great console/Media hub, no denying. nothing is wrong with consoles.

If you buy a PS3, just because you want to jailbreak it, why should they let you on their network? its their network, their rules! You dont like it? get over it, or use a PC! they have legitimate reasons for blocking jailbreaking, namely piracy.

the rootkits on CDs were stupid. they should have realised it is now almost impossible to stop someone from copying music.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (1.3vcore) Gigabyte UD4 B3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 4GB G Skill 1333 "Ripjaws" 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Hitachi Deskstar 500 (SSD soon) Win7 x64, Ubuntu 32" Samsung LED TV Corsair CX600w 
Case
650D 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (1.3vcore) Gigabyte UD4 B3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 4GB G Skill 1333 "Ripjaws" 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Hitachi Deskstar 500 (SSD soon) Win7 x64, Ubuntu 32" Samsung LED TV Corsair CX600w 
Case
650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGreasy View Post
Not like Microsoft's Xbox Live service is immune to unexpected downtime
Anyone remember the holidays of 2007. Xbox Live pretty much unusable for weeks.
It's a shame what's happening with PSN but XBL has seen worse.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/23/xb...hnical-issues/
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/31/un...ion/3#comments
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=561551
Yes that was annoying, iirc in Canada it lasted around 4 weeks for us, most days not working at all, but some days it was fine. It was because Microsoft sold eleventy-billion more Zune's & 360's than they ever projected, and everyone was signing up for new Live accounts over the holidays.

I don't blame them for being caught off-guard, but I blame them for taking so long to fix the problem. But then again, they did double their sub base in a week, so perhaps no company could handle that kind of overflow.
post #100 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
XBL has 30 million members, half of which are Gold subs. So lets have some fun with this:

Monthly income going towards XBL servers: $45,000,000
Monthly income going towards PSN servers: $0

XBL servers: UP
PSN servers: DOWN

Winner: Microsoft
I find it amazing how just because PSN goes down ONCE for a long period of time, you actually think that you've got some kind of point to make when you posted that.

Tally ho! ->

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGreasy View Post
Not like Microsoft's Xbox Live service is immune to unexpected downtime
Anyone remember the holidays of 2007. Xbox Live pretty much unusable for weeks.
It's a shame what's happening with PSN but XBL has seen worse.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/23/xb...hnical-issues/
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/31/un...ion/3#comments
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=561551
CorkyFan: let's have some fun with some numbers huh?

$44 million dollars for XBL as opposed to $0 PSN
PSN goes down once for 3~ days
In your world XBL has never been down yet in reality it's been down plenty and even for even longer periods of times.
You also act like 3 days is a big deal to begin with and it really isn't in the long run because your OWN argument works against you: if PSN doesn't charge monthly, then if it goes down every so often - there shouldnt be any problems from people when it does. If XBL goes down, which is has and for longer periods of time, then there is hell to be had because they have, as you came up with, $45 million. You shot yourself in other words.

Quote:
I don't blame them for being caught off-guard, but I blame them for taking so long to fix the problem. But then again, they did double their sub base in a week, so perhaps no company could handle that kind of overflow.
But that's still no excuse then in your argument. They have $45 million behind them as opposed to PSN's $0, and PSN goes down for 3 days yet you still try to "have some fun with numbers."
Edited by OmegaNemesis28 - 4/24/11 at 5:06pm
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA TODAY] Sony blames 'external intrusion' for PlayStation Network outage