Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › is my psu going to be enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is my psu going to be enough? - Page 2

post #11 of 56
This one http://www.frys.com/product/6159219?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post
what cooler master do you have??

edit: DsF you'll be able to oc too.
post #12 of 56
Toss that sucka, it's not a good unit imo.
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
This is good to know what an 850 can handle and if my 750w can handle eyfinity an extra 6970, extra 2 120mm fans along with the Kingston HyperX Ram cooler, and maybe an SSD down the road.
It's not that any 850W power supply would handle his rig, but it's that a high quality 850W unit like the HX850 can handle it.

For example, I think the Cooler Master GX 750 that you have might be enough for your system with two 6970s in it, however I wouldn't bet money on it. I mean, if it were a better 750W unit (like 750W Antec TruePower New), then I'd be 100% confident about it.
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 56
So could my 750 be holding me back at all right now? the reason I ask is because my benchmarking scores in Heaven and 3Dmark11 are kinda low, and wondered if my GPU & CPu are getting the power they need. So the Antec is the one to go with then? I am thinking if I get anothr PSu that I would go with more like a 1000w unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post
Toss that sucka, it's not a good unit imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It's not that any 850W power supply would handle his rig, but it's that a high quality 850W unit like the HX850 can handle it.

For example, I think the Cooler Master GX 750 that you have might be enough for your system with two 6970s in it, however I wouldn't bet money on it. I mean, if it were a better 750W unit (like 750W Antec TruePower New), then I'd be 100% confident about it.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
So could my 750 be holding me back at all right now? the reason I ask is because my benchmarking scores in Heaven and 3Dmark11 are kinda low, and wondered if my GPU & CPu are getting the power they need. So the Antec is the one to go with then? I am thinking if I get anothr PSu that I would go with more like a 1000w unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=188
750w is more then enough for your rig.. i just don't trust the gx 750, read the review above.
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
So could my 750 be holding me back at all right now? the reason I ask is because my benchmarking scores in Heaven and 3Dmark11 are kinda low, and wondered if my GPU & CPu are getting the power they need. So the Antec is the one to go with then? I am thinking if I get anothr PSu that I would go with more like a 1000w unit.
With only one 6970 in your system, everything should be getting enough power (and easily so).

However, if you wanted to have two of these 6970s in your system, then I would get at least a quality 750W power supply. I mean, I am somewhat doubting that the 750W Cooler Master GX would be able to handle it.
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 56
I went with the rec from the Frys tech and he said he was running the same PSU. I have another week until I cant return it and no time to take the PC apart. I am not sure how hard it is going to be to remove the PSU from my case. I may just have to take the entire thing in this friday. the other thing is they dont have any 850HX only 1000w antecs true power and corsair 1000hx. I could remove it I guess even though I have never done it before and get something from Tiger direct. I would rather get it all done at once and not mess anything up.

What will be the most obvious signs of needed a better PSU? I dont know what to look for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
With only one 6970 in your system, everything should be getting enough power (and easily so).

However, if you wanted to have two of these 6970s in your system, then I would get at least a quality 750W power supply. I mean, I am somewhat doubting that the 750W Cooler Master GX would be able to handle it.

Edited by Topgearfan - 4/25/11 at 3:09pm
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I went with the rec from the Frys tech and he said he was running the same PSU.
To be honest, that's almost no better than trusting a Geek Squad employee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I have another week until I cant return it and no time to take the PC apart. I am not sure how hard it is going to be to remove the PSU from my case.
It's much easier than you might think - especially if you built the system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I may just have to take the entire thing in this friday. the other thing is they dont have any 850HX only 1000w antecs true power and corsair 1000hx.
But again, a high quality 750W power supply would be enough to power your system if it had two 6970s in it. One such PSU is the 750W Antec TruePower New.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I could remove it I guess even though I have never done it before and get something from Tiger direct. I would rather get it all done at once and not mess anything up.
If you've never done it before, then are you saying that someone else built your system for you?



Edit: here are some signs (taken from Guru3D.com) that the PSU is unable to handle the system:
  • bad 3D performance
  • crashing games
  • spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
  • freezing during gameplay
  • PSU overload can cause it to break down


However, some of these behaviors can be caused by other things too.
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It's not that any 850W power supply would handle his rig, but it's that a high quality 850W unit like the HX850 can handle it.

For example, I think the Cooler Master GX 750 that you have might be enough for your system with two 6970s in it, however I wouldn't bet money on it. I mean, if it were a better 750W unit (like 750W Antec TruePower New), then I'd be 100% confident about it.
The GX750 is a piss poor 450w in disguise. So two 6970's are out of the question on that PSU.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
The GX750 is a piss poor 450w in disguise. So two 6970's are out of the question on that PSU.
Really? It has a +12V capacity of 720W.

I'm not trying to say that it's a good unit, but what makes you say that it's a piss-poor 450W?
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › is my psu going to be enough?