And... I delidded my A10-5700! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

And... I delidded my A10-5700!

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 59)
Congrats on the de-lidding thumb.gif

Those resistors are extremely close to the edge. It wouldn't take much to render these CPU's useless. Also, I would highly recommending NOT doing the vise / wood method due to the resistors being so close.

The Ivy's have no resistors around the CPU die, but one hit in either direction on the A6/A8/A10 would more than likely take a resistor out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 611 (Unique: 407)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Congrats on the de-lidding thumb.gif

Those resistors are extremely close to the edge. It wouldn't take much to render these CPU's useless. Also, I would highly recommending NOT doing the vise / wood method due to the resistors being so close.

The Ivy's have no resistors around the CPU die, but one hit in either direction on the A6/A8/A10 would more than likely take a resistor out.

That's why I went Razor... It is absolutely safe if you know what you're doing, and definitely, the only method to use if you plan on delidding a chip that's unknown as to what's under the lid thumb.gif

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
That looks great, I really feel to do this with my 750k l0l

Could we get that video you mentioned? Would be of great help smile.gif

And did you find any software that correctly measures the temp? At the moment I'm trusting my BIOS/Asrock AXTU/OCCT/Speedfan. Coretemp, HWmonitor and even AMD Overdrive give really erratic readings.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Oh, by the way, HWMonitor is creeping bonkers, smile.gif

A flat probe attached right to the sides of the die reports 47ºC under heavy load, while HWMonitor is reporting 74ºC. Needless to say, the system doesn't shut down, so there's absolutely no way it's running like that, as thermal shutdown is 71.5ºC.

There are usually 2 different ways of measuring temp in AMD CPUs, if I recall correctly. One is the case temperature and the other the actual die temperature. I think the case temperature is the one with a maximum threshold, and is < the die temp. Besides that, the most accurate way AMD CPUs have to measure temp is a relative value, that is how much we have until we reach the limit. There was a lot of info in AMD docs, a member of this board pointed me to those docs, but can't recall who was.

If your CPU is at 71º, and the heatsink is much cooler, improper heat transfer can be the cause. I guess CoreTemp shows the same value, right?

Current
(13 items)
Holiday rig
(8 items)
3Dfx
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard
Asus X99-S
GPU
MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming
RAM
Avexir DDR4-2400 C16 16GB(4x4) Platinum
Hard Drive
Samsun SSD 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Hitach HDT721010
Power Supply
Antec TP 550 New
Cooling
EK Supremacy Clear CSQ
Cooling
Alphacool XT45 360+240
Cooling
EK-VGA Supreme HF
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655-PWM
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Monitor
Dell S2340L
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
RAM
8GiB Samsung DDR3 green
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair 550W
Cooling
Themalright ultra 120 eXtreme
Case
CM Haf 912
CPU
Athlon XP 1900+
Motherboard
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GPU
3Dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP
RAM
512 MiB
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB
Optical Drive
(no name)
Power Supply
Enermax 350W
Case
(no name)
Operating System
(no name)
Monitor
(no name)
Keyboard
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveanicelife View Post

That looks great, I really feel to do this with my 750k l0l

Could we get that video you mentioned? Would be of great help smile.gif

LOL THE VIDEO. I had totally forgotten about it!!! The YT upload crashed, I got mad, and never re-uploaded it biggrin.gif I'l process it again, and once it's done I'll post the link smile.gif

Quote:
And did you find any software that correctly measures the temp? At the moment I'm trusting my BIOS/Asrock AXTU/OCCT/Speedfan. Coretemp, HWmonitor and even AMD Overdrive give really erratic readings.

Thanks

Not really, I stuck a NTC probe to the very side of the die, saw it never went past 47ºC under very heavy load, and didn't even bother to find anything to monitor it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

There are usually 2 different ways of measuring temp in AMD CPUs, if I recall correctly. One is the case temperature and the other the actual die temperature. I think the case temperature is the one with a maximum threshold, and is < the die temp. Besides that, the most accurate way AMD CPUs have to measure temp is a relative value, that is how much we have until we reach the limit. There was a lot of info in AMD docs, a member of this board pointed me to those docs, but can't recall who was.

If your CPU is at 71º, and the heatsink is much cooler, improper heat transfer can be the cause. I guess CoreTemp shows the same value, right?

HWMonitor reports 75ºC under heavy load. SpeedFan can't get a reading. AMD Overdrive reports 5ºC. AIDA64 reports 35ºC. CoreTemp reports 35ºC. EasyTune6 reports 41ºC. The BIOS reads 14ºC just after restarting it, and quickly climbs into the mid 30s.

The sensors on this thing are flippin' crazy biggrin.gif

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

LOL THE VIDEO. I had totally forgotten about it!!! The YT upload crashed, I got mad, and never re-uploaded it biggrin.gif I'l process it again, and once it's done I'll post the link smile.gif
Not really, I stuck a NTC probe to the very side of the die, saw it never went past 47ºC under very heavy load, and didn't even bother to find anything to monitor it.
HWMonitor reports 75ºC under heavy load. SpeedFan can't get a reading. AMD Overdrive reports 5ºC. AIDA64 reports 35ºC. CoreTemp reports 35ºC. EasyTune6 reports 41ºC. The BIOS reads 14ºC just after restarting it, and quickly climbs into the mid 30s.

The sensors on this thing are flippin' crazy biggrin.gif
I'd trust CoreTemp. Have you tried OpenHardwareMonitor, too? tongue.gif

Current
(13 items)
Holiday rig
(8 items)
3Dfx
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard
Asus X99-S
GPU
MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming
RAM
Avexir DDR4-2400 C16 16GB(4x4) Platinum
Hard Drive
Samsun SSD 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Hitach HDT721010
Power Supply
Antec TP 550 New
Cooling
EK Supremacy Clear CSQ
Cooling
Alphacool XT45 360+240
Cooling
EK-VGA Supreme HF
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655-PWM
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Monitor
Dell S2340L
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
RAM
8GiB Samsung DDR3 green
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair 550W
Cooling
Themalright ultra 120 eXtreme
Case
CM Haf 912
CPU
Athlon XP 1900+
Motherboard
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GPU
3Dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP
RAM
512 MiB
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB
Optical Drive
(no name)
Power Supply
Enermax 350W
Case
(no name)
Operating System
(no name)
Monitor
(no name)
Keyboard
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
Mouse
(no name)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

I'd trust CoreTemp

On their own forums, lots of people are reporting similar issues, aka, Trinity temp sensors being completely crazy in CoreTemp.

Plus, 35ºC full load on a NH-L9a is something I have a hard time believing tongue.gif

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Cool, look forward to seeing it smile.gif

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

ph34r2.gif

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

If you do try to delid your Fx-xxxx guess i'm the only one thats going to say it'd be safer to just get some pliers, like one thread i seen read http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289389-I-just-delidded-my-newly-bought-FX-8320-PICS, and put it top down in a pan while holding it, but rather than what he did, use a probe thermometer, put it in the pan, wait til it hits around 365, put cpu in the pan IHS down for five seconds while holding it with the pliers, pull out, and try to pull the IHS off with a pair of precision tweezers would honestly try to get another set of hands to help then after that, the solder thats left is going to be the problem, could lap it as far down as you can, use some liquid paste, and that should work, honestly, if i got it off, i'd try to post, if it actually posted, i'd stack a few coins/folded tin foil to get past post, if it hit windows and loaded, then, i'd do the lapping and liquid paste, but its all a risk.

Fx-8370, Gtx 970 acx 2.0 ftw + ASIC 84.5%, MSI 970 Gaming motherboard, Nzxt s340, corsair 1600mhz 2x4gb, Bit phenix blue led, nzxt blue led kit, 1920x1080p samsung 60hz, pyle Pre-amp, Intel 530 120gb ssd, WD 320 gb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in