what is the AMD FX 8350 NB overclocking sweetspot - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

what is the AMD FX 8350 NB overclocking sweetspot

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 159 (Unique: 70)
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2779392 I do believe that was not an issue my overclocking ability cpu wise was just fine I was originaly just asking about the results I was getting with the NB overclock performance the sweetspot for me seems to be 2400mhz NB / 2600mhz HT / with a solid 24/7 100% stable overclock cpu wise of 4.8ghz [email protected] 1.428v with all 4 sticks of (4x 4gb) 1866mhz(set to full 1866mhz ) [email protected] and timings of 9-10-8-24 with a TRC timing of 34 with these the above link is just a hell run I did at 1.5v and 5.0ghz with rest of above settings 100% stable according to a prime 95 run for 1hour and a IBT (Intel burn test run of 10 times ) all passed temps got close to my max safe 55c I do not ever liking seeing temps above this.

i dont know why i did it or why i will do it again

devil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gifdevil.gif| AUTHENTIC AMD FX 9370/9590 FAN CLUB | devil.gif
post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

by results I was getting with NB overclocking I was referring to the drastic performance increase I got by doing so the NB overclock gave me a drastic performance I could feel not just see in benchmarks.

devil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gifdevil.gif| AUTHENTIC AMD FX 9370/9590 FAN CLUB | devil.gif
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
hmm I have my RAM at 2133 (Patriot Black mamba 2133 11-11-11-30) with no issue. I think it depends on the RAM. I had dominator but I couldn't get to stabilize at 1866.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have the dominator platinum pc315000 1.5v 1866mhz http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-Desktop-CMD16GX3M4A1866C9/dp/B007Z1CUTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366689025&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum not the regular dominator the older dominator was a higher voltage ram and was also weaker chips.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have found in past testing anything above 1866mhz is usualy not beneficial performance wise and is often not any faster due to the looser timings and such needed for higher frequency ram beyond 1866mhz.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
shoot, i have 8370 @ 4.82 w/ 8GB dominator platinum 1866 running @ 2133 10-11-10-30-40 (NB @2200) and running gta V I get a decent boost running my ram @2133 vs 1866! it feels way smoother. but for some reason i can't get my NB even to 2300 w/out having problems. and i have had it in a asrock 990 ex4 and now in asus sabertooth 990 r2 and motherboard made no difference. so it must be my NB. but hey i'm happy w/ it. can game @ 5GHz w/ her but not prime stable. (at least in the summer).

PS. seen earlier in this thread about having NB and HT @ 2500?? well BD/PD's HT is 2600 stock. It should be run at no less. I think thats why a lot of early reviews didn't get as good of performance because everyone was clocking HT/NB @ 2000 like it was a phenom!!!

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have had my FX 9590 for almost 4 years now and NB overclock will help in CPU and memory calculations but the HT should not exceed the NB. I know this was a stock setting Asus originally did with the Crosshair V Formula but it is incorrect. It is okay however to have a higher NB frequency than the HT Speed. Having a higher HT than NB causes instability issues and reduces your CPU's potential performance. To give you an idea why you don't want a higher HT is because every instruction that goes through the FX first hits your HTs and from your HTs goes through your cache and floating points then to your NB which sends and receives memory instruction. If your HT is higher than your NB you create a bottleneck in the CPU itself which reduces your processing and memory performance.

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86overclock View Post

I have had my FX 9590 for almost 4 years now and NB overclock will help in CPU and memory calculations but the HT should not exceed the NB. I know this was a stock setting Asus originally did with the Crosshair V Formula but it is incorrect. It is okay however to have a higher NB frequency than the HT Speed. Having a higher HT than NB causes instability issues and reduces your CPU's potential performance. To give you an idea why you don't want a higher HT is because every instruction that goes through the FX first hits your HTs and from your HTs goes through your cache and floating points then to your NB which sends and receives memory instruction. If your HT is higher than your NB you create a bottleneck in the CPU itself which reduces your processing and memory performance.

i call bull sh1z. stock ht on all FX chips is 2600 stock nb is 2200. i lose performance lowering ht and straight crash when trying to push the nb on my 8370. now on phenom i would agree w/ you totally. and actually the HT is the buss that the cores/modules/cache communicate/share data. basically it is used as a multiprocessor interconnect. its may actually your NB that's making you crash, its only stable because it's not being pushed as hard w/ a low HT speed??

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

I call you have no idea what you are talking about. Asus fixed th stock NB clocks and HT clocks when they released the Crosshair Formula-Z series. The Crosshair V Formula had the NB @ 2.2 and the HT @ 2.6 which was faulty and caused system bottlenecks. the Z series has the NB @ 2.4 and the HT at 2.2. You can read the official AMD FX overclocking guide and it explains why it is important to not have your HT exceed your NB.You can download the official AMD FX overclocking guide herehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj8r-7h5eHUAhXK7iYKHfWeDbcQFggqMAE&usg=AFQjCNG16z6LqFF0PK8dF4Vh9ZCDmrZ3GA and your welcome

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by qtip-va View Post
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86overclock 

i call bull sh1z. stock ht on all FX chips is 2600 stock nb is 2200. i lose performance lowering ht and straight crash when trying to push the nb on my 8370. now on phenom i would agree w/ you totally. and actually the HT is the buss that the cores/modules/cache communicate/share data. basically it is used as a multiprocessor interconnect. its may actually your NB that's making you crash, its only stable because it's not being pushed as hard w/ a low HT speed??
I call you have no idea what you are talking about. Asus fixed th stock NB clocks and HT clocks when they released the Crosshair Formula-Z series. The Crosshair V Formula had the NB @ 2.2 and the HT @ 2.6 which was faulty and caused system bottlenecks. the Z series has the NB @ 2.4 and the HT at 2.2. You can read the official AMD FX overclocking guide and it explains why it is important to not have your HT exceed your NB.You can download the official AMD FX overclocking guide herehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj8r-7h5eHUAhXK7iYKHfWeDbcQFggqMAE&usg=AFQjCNG16z6LqFF0 PK8dF4Vh9ZCDmrZ3GA and your welcome
2 / 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in