FX-8320 Pin Replacement Therapy™ (Pics) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FX-8320 Pin Replacement Therapy™ (Pics)

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1075 (Unique: 804)
Greetings, all. smile.gif

A teen that I know was assembling a new computer, but messed up somehow and crunched his new CPU. (An FX-8320 - more than a couple dollars to replace!) It had a bunch of bent pins and two broke off completely. Rather than toss it in the trash, I decided to give some pin replacement therapy a go.
Missing Pins (Click to show)
I unbent the remaining pins carefully with some old giftcards, and set to work.
sE4BSmt.jpg

The two broken ones would pose a challenge. Pins are very small and difficult to work with.
uFe9brE.jpg
Tools for the Job (Click to show)
Since I had none of the required tools or wire, I had to improvise a bit. No wire stripper for me, but I've got a razor and some pliers!

Q83eezE.jpg
Sources of Wire (Click to show)
I started out by figuring out what kind of wire to use. I gutted this floppy cable, but it turns out they use stranded wires, which are too thin. They break off easily when the socket is locked, which is not good.

YkF8GhI.jpg

Poor cable - it lost its leftmost wire. It'll never communicate with another floppy drive again! Oh well, off to the recycler with you!

CAT5E also appears to be stranded... good for the signal, but bad for Pin Replacement Therapy™.

And then I thought back to my latest hard drive to give me grief:

euNn1wE.png

It ended up not being the drive, but rather the cable that was at fault - a cheap $0.62 bulk red SATA cable. I still had it lying around, so... time to die, SATA cable! You caused me enough grief! Maybe there's copper inside of YOU! tongue.gif

Muahahaha!

52F0l4n.jpg

Beheaded, just like that! Your remains shall be used to resurrect a true champion!
Planning Stages (Click to show)
I've learned from my past projects that it's a good idea to plan ahead. Since there might be some confusion about which holes to stick the replacement pins into after flipping the CPU upside down, I whipped up a precise drawing in AutoCAD:

F0FtPoQ.jpg
Bending/cutting procedure (Click to show)
By inserting the copper wire into the socket, locking it, then pressing it flat, I had a good idea of how much was required to act as a replacement pin. Initially I tried to double it and bend the wire around, but this proved too thick. In the end I just cut the wire to only slightly more than the pin's length (I was VERY precise), to ensure it made good contact without touching nearby pins when the CPU clamps down on it.

CmCTbEl.jpg

My first attempt I had left too much copper wire, and could feel there was too much resistance when pushing the CPU down flat. (before even locking the socket) My second attempt went better. It locked into place, and then it was time for the moment of truth...
The moment of truth (Click to show)
Eureka! SHE LIVES!

IFq5BFQ.jpg

The kid was very glad to hear he wouldn't need to buy a new ~$200 CPU. smile.gif (well, not quite, but after 12% tax and stuff it gets pretty close)

Because of that, I unfortunately did not get to overclock it or benchmark it, as he wanted it back ASAP. It is stable though, and he emailed me to say he's got Windows up and running and is reinstalling his games. thumb.gif

Now I leave you with pictures of the graveyard. (Or at least whatever didn't fall on my carpet or end up in the garbage can.)

oRqPBAT.jpg

If I do say so myself, a job well done. thumb.gif

2016 Edit: Fixed broken images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 81)
Pretty cool stuff man

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 67)
That is AWESOME!

Nice Job thumb.gif
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 329 (Unique: 273)
did you solder it?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Awesome!

What did you use to attach the copper to the cpu?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 70)
Should have taken pics with the copper in the socket.

Great job.

camera.gif Canon EOS 5D MKIII | Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlight 580EXII camera.gif
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

did you solder it?
Nope. I'm not that capable at soldering. I'd probably muck up the underside of the CPU real good.

I just used pressure. When the socket locks, it holds the "pin" in place - as long as your "pin" is under ~1mm too large, it makes firm contact with the underside of the CPU without bending and touching other pins.

This sounds really hard to do ( < 1mm!?), but it's not that hard because of the procedure.
1) Insert copper wire in socket. Make sure it's all the way in.
2) Lock socket.
3) Bend wire flat.
4) Unlock socket.
5) Cut wire at roughly the bend point.

My first attempt at #5 was too long (I could feel resistance when trying to lock the CPU down), so I stopped and shaved off a tiny bit more from the wire. Then I tried it again and the CPU went down into the socket much smoother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post

Awesome!

What did you use to attach the copper to the cpu?
Nothing but pressure. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post

Should have taken pics with the copper in the socket.

Great job.
Agreed! I wasn't thinking. I also missed out on a picture of the final "pins" next to my finger... But at the end I realized I had almost enough pictures for a complete post, so... ehh... why not? thumb.gif It might help someone to know that it's possible.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 34)
This project is glorious! Didn't even know this would be possible! Complete and utter awesomeness! +Rep for resurrecting the CPU!

Also, this made me lol
Quote:
I whipped up a precise drawing in AutoCAD:

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 375 (Unique: 249)
Good job. I had a scare with my 8350 a few months ago. The chip had been in the motherboard for quite a while, and the thermal paste had set so well that it was pretty much stuck to the chip. When I went to pull the heatsink off the chip, it pulled the 8350 straight out of the socket despite it being locked, and bent two full rows of pins. It took me an entire day to very carefully straighten them all out, avoiding breaking any, and get the chip back in the socket. The last time I had to do this, I worked a knife between the HSF base and the top of the CPU to make sure that it wouldn't pull the chip out again. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in