Help To Overclock FX 9590 To 5Ghz Stable. - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Help To Overclock FX 9590 To 5Ghz Stable.

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM
curmudgeon

Rep: 307 (Unique: 178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post

I pushed my 8320 to 5 GHz (almost stable) @ 1.55 V. My Noctua NH D15 almost could keep up. But not quite so I couldn't really test for stability. But 4.9GHz was stable at around 1.5V. I have a Crosshair V Formula Z

Put some Thermalright TY-143 2600 rpm fans on the D15 and work on case air flow, and you will be there. Air cooling works at its max efficiency when the air is moving at 12mph/20kph.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello there! wave2.gif

Great to see there is still a fanbase around the AM3+ socket and FX-9000 CPUs! coolsmiley02.gif

I'm currently using two FX-9590, a FX-9370 and several FX-8000/6000 CPUs. Firstly, I would like to contribute my findings and experiences while digging further into OC capabilities and difficulties.

9370 vs 9590:
.) The 9370 consumes a litte bit more Watts than the 9590 and gets about 5°C warmer at stock speed, while using the same motherboard and cooler (ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and Noctua NH-D14).
.) The 9370 CPU-NB needs more Volts to reach 2400 and is unstable at 2600 MHz, while my 9590 is basically capable of that.

Higher than DDR3-1866 support? No!:
Some shops and sites claim the FX-9000 chips would officially support 2133 or even 2400 MHz, because it's based on the Centurion core. But it actually is still the same old Vishera core with the same stepping!
Evidence: Visit AMD, scroll down and look at "Features" http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/processors/desktop/fx#

Inofficial DDR3-2133 support:
Never had problems, as the CPU-NB speed is 2200 MHz.

Inofficial DDR3-2400 support:
Very problematic, as you have to raise CPU-NB speed to 2400 MHz. The RAM speed itselt surely isn't the problem (at least with my AMD labeled RAMs), but I've never found a reliable scenario regarding the CPU-NB.
ASUS automatically raises CPU-NB Voltage to 1.4V, which is a bit higher than you should go in any 24/7 case. But the system boots and seems to be stable at first look. Even Prime95 seems to do fine. But whole multi-jumps above 2200 MHz lead to very strange phenomenons: IE11 doesn't show webpages correctly after a while and randomly freezes, Win7 Aero began to deactivate itself and couldn't be reactivated until a reboot and games began to show flashing textures, black screens or crash. System crashes or BSODs appeared at very long runtimes but were seldom, as long as I didn't go below 1.35V.
So I don't think this is an option in any case. Unlike the Phenom-IIs, the non-existing speed advantage does not justify the worries you get and I wouldn't trust a machine in that condition with my data!

220W myths and facts:
The 220W TDP and actual consumption depends, of course, completely on its usage. Using it for simple tasks won't be much of a penalty, compared to FX-8000 CPUs.
I've experimented with compact water cooling kits, state-of-the-art at that time, but they were up to 15°(!) warmer than my NH-D14 at half-load and no chance to stay below 80° at full load, besindes the acoustic drawback of the pump. Exception is (should be) an open water cooling solution of course, but that never was an option for me. So it is no problem to cool it, even with air cooling!
That's why people should keep in mind that OC'ing a FX-8000 to the levels of a FX-9000 may and pretty sure is more power consuming and often not even possible, as the FX-9000 are some extraordinary good samples of the same chip. So, FX-8000 OC'ing may draw more power than using a stock FX-9000!
On the other side, by OC'ing the FX-9000, disabling CnQ, disabling APM (AMD Power Management), or activating HPC (High Performance Computing), you may need way more than 220W! The 220W TDP is a maximum desired value that ends in slowing down CPU speed and V. if reached. E.g.: At stock speed 2 threads of Prime95 prevents Turbo Core to work and 8 threads slows the clock to 4 GHz or even below. After messing with some BIOS options, it is possible to stay at full clock speed and use a lot more power that way.

9590 V. & LLC settings @ 5 GHz:
I too never had success in reaching 5 GHz for the base clock. 4,75-4,80 GHz is realistic. Anything higher is not stable at full load, even if I gave it 1.55V or more.
Some considerations about that:
1.) The same boards that were 125/140W capable, suddenly are now 220W capable, without visible changes. The headroom (8+ Phases) from the past has obviously been used up to support a 220W CPU out of the box.
2.) By OC'ing that CPU, you reach power needs, the board can hardly handle.
3.) Because of that, it seems most likely, the CPU is not in need of more V., but the board is the limiting factor.
4.) Has anyone reliable information of the actual V. a core gets if running in Turbo Mode? That V. has to be sufficient and I suspect it not to be 1.55V, but something between 1.475 and 1.525 Volts. Find that V. and you have stable 5 GHz at reasonable V! But just theoretically, because it is not designed to have that kind of V. on every core at full load, which leads to enormous power needs.
5.) Regarding LLC, most boards have their CPU LLC at AUTO. Some even offer CPU-NB LLC. At CPU stock speed, the system keeps absolutely stable if LLC is set to Standard, Regular or Normal. Therefore it is just a method for reaching redicolously high V. settings (>1.55V) and shouldn't be needed at 5 GHz, right?
6.) Setting LLC it to High, Higher or Extreme gave me far to high temperatures at load (base V. at default), leading to shutdown after a short time of Prime and did nothing to stabilize clocks above 4.8 GHz.
7.) There is no difference between multi OC and HT OC.
8.) I've tried CPU, CPU-NB and DRAM overcurrent to help out. Even CPU @ 130% didn't do any good. It this is the key to a successful OC, as many reviewers hype it, I don't see it.

I hope this isn't too much information at once tongue.gif and maybe it helps to clear someones questions or helps me understanding it better, if I am wrong in some cases.

PS:
What do you think of setting HTT clock equal to CPU-NB clock? Is it better equally or leave HTT at default of 2600 MHz for no (dis)advantage?
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Put some Thermalright TY-143 2600 rpm fans on the D15 and work on case air flow, and you will be there. Air cooling works at its max efficiency when the air is moving at 12mph/20kph.
I cannot comment on these TR fans, but I think Noctua fans are awesome regarding air flow and noise levels. Maybe the TR fans offer more air flow, but compare the noise levels first, if this is important to you. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
curmudgeon

About noise, what I hear as loads go from idle to stress testing is: A whooshing noise from the case fans that is barely above ambients, then GPU fans revving up while gaming with maybe a little CPU fan noise once in a while, to CPU fan howl at full load. I don't care about noise while stress testing, but they can still be talked over no problem.

Methinks D14 fans are good for maybe 90cfm while the ty-143s do 130cfm installed.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

Hello Kuivamaa,

Excellent question!

There's no reason the same process could not be worked through at 4.7ghz. I'm simply erring on the side of caution with my recommendation since I can't actually have my hands on the problem here from afar. I believe there is a lower risk of running into problems working through the process at a slightly lower clock, as it offers more fudging room for voltage and thermal related stability as the LLC settings are experimented with. It's possible that as this is experimented with, voltage under a load could vary pretty wildly. (+/-0.1V or more may be possible). I also prefer to do this procedure from "round numbers" because it just makes the arithmetic easier come to to layout the road-map. For most other PD chips I would suggest using 4.0ghz to run the same set of tests.

stable at 1.488 which is +0.150 to 4.7. Just throwing that in.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote:

Thanks, I now have watercooling so I won't be needing that smile.gif
It's warm now so 5 GHz is quite not cool enough. But in the winter I can run it.

Arachnid
(26 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
GPU
INNO3D GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming OC
RAM
Gskill Trident Z 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
EK Supremacy MX
Cooling
EK-FC1080 GTX - Acetal+Copper
Cooling
Barrow YKD5G65 130 mm
Cooling
Barrow PD5BTZ-V1
Cooling
Barrow LD5HK-V1
Cooling
Alphacool VPP665
Cooling
Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 480 mm
Cooling
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 34UM95-P
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Logitech Z506
Audio
HyperX Cloud II
Other
Fanatec GT3 RS V2 EU
Other
Fanatec Clubsport V2 EU
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller with Windows Adapter
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 102)
Quote:

I can't tolerate ball bearing fans at even medium speeds, if the Antec 120 and 140 mm fans are anything to go by. They seem so much noisier than sleeve models.

Free expression is the base of human rights, the root of human nature, and the mother of truth. — 刘晓波 (Liu Xiaobo)
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 AM
curmudgeon

You should visit the air cooling forum and read some of their fan review threads.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 102)
Quote:

You should visit the air cooling forum and read some of their fan review threads.
I've looked at the big topic and I've looked at a lot of reviews. Ball bearing fans are generally noisier at lower RPMs than a fluid dynamic, sleeve, etc. Of course, regular sleeve fans don't do well horizontally.

Free expression is the base of human rights, the root of human nature, and the mother of truth. — 刘晓波 (Liu Xiaobo)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in