Help To Overclock FX 9590 To 5Ghz Stable. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Help To Overclock FX 9590 To 5Ghz Stable.

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello, i have cpu fx 9590 and cant get 5ghz stable :/ i Using custom Water Coling rl, and cant get stable Oc. I Tested all Voltages and is not stable :/ Mi Motherboard is: Asrock 990 Fx Fatality Professional.

Any Can help me plz? frown.giffrown.gif Thx All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
curmudgeon

Rep: 307 (Unique: 178)
Try posting here for better answers.
https://www.overclock.net/t/1414604/any-9590-or-9370-overclocking-results

My watercooler has been sitting in the warehouse for 5 days now waiting for UPS to pick it up. If they had used the United States Postal Service I would have it and maybe could be of some help to you.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 621 (Unique: 408)
  1. Intstall a small fan, blowing on the VRM heatsink.
  2. Set the chip to 4.5ghz
  3. turn off turbo core
  4. turn off any proprietary performance enhancement features. (any auto-overclocking or turbo-core enhancing features on the board)
  5. turn off all power saving features (like C states and cool/quiet, this is only temporary, you will probably be able to re-enable these after finding a stable overclock, but tracking down your best LLC settings for your overclock will require that you disable these temporarily)
  6. Set voltage to 1.45V
  7. Switch CPU Load-Line Calibration from Auto to "whatever else is available"
  8. I do not know what options you will have for LLC (it may be a variable range like a number, or a bunch of different "presets" like "normal" and "medium" "low" "extreme" etc. I do not know.)
  9. Set LLC to a custom setting.
  10. Boot and run a CPU stress test.
  11. Using hardware monitoring software, observe the CPU voltage as you transition from idle load to full load with the CPU stress testing.
  12. If the voltage rises above 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and reduce the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
  13. If the voltage dips below 1.45V during the stress test, reboot and increase the aggressiveness of the LLC setting.
  14. Rinse and repeat this process of checking the voltage stability under a load vs idle voltage until you have the tightest possible variation from idle to loaded voltage. There will almost always be some voltage variation from idle to load, so aim for a setting that sags slightly when loaded, rather than rises slightly.
  15. Check BIOS for the default CPU VID. It should report this next to the CPU voltage control.
  16. Manually set the CPU voltage below the VID. (for example, if the VID is 1.45V, you should set it to 1.425V or less and start your testing there)
  17. Check for boot stability.
  18. Reduce CPU voltage manually a couple steps at a time and keep checking for boot stability. When boot stability fails, bump the voltage back up a "notch." Long term testing is not required here. You're looking for a "reasonably stable" under-volted setting. Do some quick stress tests along the way on successful boots to check the voltage variation from idle to load.
  19. Through the process of lowering the voltage, you may find that you have to reduce the aggressiveness of your LLC setting in order to maintain good tolerances from loaded to unloaded conditions.
  20. When you have found the "minimum" stable operating voltage (actual reported voltage under a load), you can now form a road-map upon which to overclock from.
  21. Every 100mhz increase will require roughly a 0.025V increase in voltage from this "reference" point you have discovered.
  22. Assuming your "reference" point, is [email protected]~1.325V (probably will be close to this), then you should be able to run [email protected]
  23. Remember, 1.45V (assuming this is the voltage you wind up needing to run 5ghz), has nothing to do with the selected voltage setting (though it should hopefully be close). You're looking for a combination of manual voltage setting, and LLC setting, that results in 1.45V both at idle and under a load (as close to it as possible). This may mean using a voltage setting of 1.475V and a particular LLC setting that lands 1.447V under a load (this would be close enough). Or perhaps, a 1.4875V setting with an LLC setting that results in 1.451V under a load. Does that make sense? The reason for all the fussing around before to find that "ideal" LLC setting for [email protected], was to set up a starting point to make adjustments from to the LLC setting, so you would know which way to go as you create changes to the load.
  24. After setting the new "overclocked" setting, it is now time to test for thermal dissipation problems. (If you have done everything correctly up to this point, then the only stability issues remaining would theoretically be from thermals, not from voltage vs clocks) If the chip runs with plenty of thermal headroom under a load at this setting, then it may be worth exploring an even higher overclock. (just increase the multiplier and voltage increment by increment till you run out of thermal headroom).
  25. After discovering the maximum "reasonable" overclock based on available thermal dissipation following the 0.025V per 100mhz rule, it is now time to "optimize" this overclock a bit further by checking for stable headroom of under-voltage and/or overclocking on either side of this setting, without holding to the 0.025V/100mhz rule. It may be that it will run with a little less voltage, and with a little more clock speed.
  26. AFTER discovering that "ideal" LLC setting and voltage level to run the chip at the final overclock, you can now go back and re-enable all of the power saving features, and use an off-set voltage setting instead of a direct-voltage setting in order to regain your low power idle states. The "off-set" voltage setting is based off the VID reported. So you will just take whatever voltage setting you were using, and set the offset to make up the difference between that and the VID. This will get idle power consumption back down to "normal" for long term use.

Best of luck with the overclock.
Eric

PS: Your motherboard may have a slew of sophisticated adjustments far beyond the scope of this quick rough "guide." You may be able to use other fine controls of your board to fine tune your voltage/LLC regulation. I have no hands on with that specific board, but would advise that you should spend plenty of time researching all of the BIOS features so that you can properly exploit them for the best possible outcome.

A CPU performance comparison chart.

"Kind of a ring thing, comes with a dialer, you hit the symbols, it spins around and lights come on, it kind of flushes sideways" -O'Neill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 113)
Why would he want to step down from 4.7Ghz base (9590) to 4.5Ghz? This is a genuine question, not trying to take a jab at you here.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hello Kuivamaa,

Excellent question!

There's no reason the same process could not be worked through at 4.7ghz. I'm simply erring on the side of caution with my recommendation since I can't actually have my hands on the problem here from afar. I believe there is a lower risk of running into problems working through the process at a slightly lower clock, as it offers more fudging room for voltage and thermal related stability as the LLC settings are experimented with. It's possible that as this is experimented with, voltage under a load could vary pretty wildly. (+/-0.1V or more may be possible). I also prefer to do this procedure from "round numbers" because it just makes the arithmetic easier come to to layout the road-map. For most other PD chips I would suggest using 4.0ghz to run the same set of tests.

"Kind of a ring thing, comes with a dialer, you hit the symbols, it spins around and lights come on, it kind of flushes sideways" -O'Neill
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thx For Help i show photos of mi bios settings.

I Try oc to 5.3 but is impossible and i tri oc to 5ghz and its impossible no stable all the time ... help me plz frown.gif Thx for all
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

LLC should not be disabled. Please set your chip to [email protected] and boot with all 4 LLC settings and run a load test and find out which holds voltage the tightest from idle to load. Then under-volt to find the lowest stable under-volted setting at 4.5ghz so that you can form a roadmap for overclocking.

You can't have a destination, until you know where you are. Stop trying to run 5ghz+ with guesswork.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am having the same issue: Same CPU & motherboard.
I've gone through the steps provided by mdocod to no success. No matter what voltage I apply the 9590 refuses to go over 4.8GHz stable. System freezes outright when stability testing for 4.9GHz or higher. I've tested every step of voltage all the way to 1.55 and anything higher refuses to even boot; it'll POST but then it's stuck with the DOS cursor flashing in the top-left. LLC is as tightly locked in at the same voltage for both idle and load as can be as monitored with CPU-Z. Turbo never wants to activate if I enable it and load a single core. I'm not messing with base clock at all. Spread Spectrum and all CPU power-saving features are disabled. I have G.Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2400MHz at stock XMP timings/speed. I've not messed with the NB/HT speeds/voltages yet. I've had an 1100T overclocked to 4.4GHz stable on this same motherboard with a 1.6vcore (likely didn't need to be that high, it was a quick dirty OC). The only other board I have to work with is a Biostar 990FX Extreme which has been seen to get an 8350 to 5.5GHz at 1.68vcore (stability was untested in the video). For stock full load across all cores my core temp doesn't go over 45c and idles at 20c (CoolerMaster Glacer 240L with fans ramping up from ~40% to ~80%) so I have plenty of thermal margin (25c under load according to AMD Overdrive). And for whatever reason enabling manual overclock has been producing odd issues at random on occasion like Aero not working at boot after some setting changes, but works after reboot.
My questions are as follows:
What are the odds my CPU isn't working up to spec let alone anything higher?
Should I dare testing the 9590 on the Biostar?
What are the odds it's the motherboard?
I'm used to seeing outright BSODs when overclocking proves unstable; why is the system freezing instead here, and is that normal?
Why is it refusing to boot with more than 1.55 volts when it's technically capable of more?
And above all else; what should be the first thing I do to investigate this further?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:33 PM
curmudgeon

Rep: 307 (Unique: 178)
That actually sounds a lot like my 9590. I started out fine. Spiky but it ran great. But over time it started going bad. The spikes were tripping the circuit breakers in the motherboards. I changed boards and power supplies to no avail as it kept getting worse.Finally it got to where it would not stabilize on default settings and while I could stabilize it at 4.7, at 4.8 it would trip out. That is where I gave up on it. Both boards run just fine with an 8350 at the same or higher volts.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Problem is, mine is brand new OEM. The ASRock 990FX Extreme9 is not though. I've had questionable stability issues with the ASRock before but largely due to how it was being used by it's prior owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in