Undervolting/Editing P-States For Piledriver using AMD MrsTweaker (Mini Guide) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Undervolting/Editing P-States For Piledriver using AMD MrsTweaker (Mini Guide)

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 519 (Unique: 255)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

http://puu.sh/9U7eq/888d011024.png that's what I got initially on msrTweaker. And PScheck was missing the rows for P1 2 3 but I got em back now! http://puu.sh/9U7gS/86e05934d4.png

So I got my issue solved, actually. All I did in bios was turn core multiplier and fsb back to auto. (And turbo, cause stock settings. but I doubt that matters) (maybe my 240 fsb caused the other states to not get used, considering fsb impacts em all, so that's less potential complications)

Ah, glad you found it. Yes, unfortunately undervolting and overclocking don't go well together. You actually gave me the idea to edit and add that this guide is intended for non overclocked configuration.

Ryzen 2600 - MSI B450 Gaming Plus - 16GB Corsair 3000Mhz C15 - GTX 750Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Ah, glad you found it. Yes, unfortunately undervolting and overclocking don't go well together. You actually gave me the idea to edit and add that this guide is intended for non overclocked configuration.

Hey the tool does offer customization for the full load and half load turbo, so those might actually see some more use with this c;

~ Enjoy life, have a great day ~
Yes, I really am that tivvv3 guy from youtube who makes LoL videos by the same philosophy. Whoa!
Also Unconditional Basic Income advocate.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Hey the tool does offer customization for the full load and half load turbo, so those might actually see some more use with this c;

Well, the turbo applies when not all cores are fully loaded. However, you can edit the max P-state (non turbo), to an overclocked value. As long as you keep bus at "auto", MAYBE it could work. A benefit with the turbo values, is that you can undervolt those too. 1.42v is too high. Mine does 4Ghz at 1.34v. But i have turbo disabled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Well, the turbo applies when not all cores are fully loaded. However, you can edit the max P-state (non turbo), to an overclocked value. As long as you keep bus at "auto", MAYBE it could work. A benefit with the turbo values, is that you can undervolt those too. 1.42v is too high. Mine does 4Ghz at 1.34v. But i have turbo disabled.

P1(msrtweak)/Pb1(pscheck) is the full load turbo (the one that can kick in when all cores are working) which you can't adjust in bios, but I heard there's other software that can fiddle with it too. Also strangely all my states work now even though I went back to manual fsb. Maybe I broke something and fixed it by turning things off and on c;

But yeah I'll stay away from things I can't stresstest for now, my psu over current protection is a bit sensitive on the cpu rail (had this issue over 2 boards and cpus so pretty sure it's that and it's been consistent past certain voltage ever since I got it really, so I don't feel too pressed to replace it c;)

Yes, I really am that tivvv3 guy from youtube who makes LoL videos by the same philosophy. Whoa!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

P1(msrtweak)/Pb1(pscheck) is the full load turbo (the one that can kick in when all cores are working) which you can't adjust in bios, but I heard there's other software that can fiddle with it too. Also strangely all my states work now even though I went back to manual fsb. Maybe I broke something and fixed it by turning things off and on c;

But yeah I'll stay away from things I can't stresstest for now, my psu over current protection is a bit sensitive on the cpu rail (had this issue over 2 boards and cpus so pretty sure it's that and it's been consistent past certain voltage ever since I got it really, so I don't feel too pressed to replace it c;)

The 3.8 turbo, works with all cores unparked, but i don't think with all cores fully loaded. The reasoning is this: as long as the TDP is below the limit, then all cores will remain active. BUT, if you stress test them all together, i don't think it will hold...It will probably fall to the previous (non turbo) state, because all cores at 100% is above TDP. i think... So how do you stress that for stability?

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

The 3.8 turbo, works with all cores unparked, but i don't think with all cores fully loaded. The reasoning is this: as long as the TDP is below the limit, then all cores will remain active. BUT, if you stress test them all together, i don't think it will hold...It will probably fall to the previous (non turbo) state, because all cores at 100% is above TDP. i think... So how do you stress that for stability?

Well, you'd still have to test it in a regular state first. Or maybe selectively force different turbo/high level states through PScheck, it MIGHT be assumable to be stable with half the cores at your desired turbo and half the cores at max regular state clocking, applied to lower states for stress testing, repeat with cores swapped.
Quick test seems to indicate that PScheck applies mixed states nicely http://puu.sh/9Uesf/4315129ba9.png (both cores of a given module require the same clock though)
Of course it's hard to verify that the theory works c; Nice to have easy access to the full load turbo either way!

edit: also, I have turbo off now but I seem to remember it was possible to actually force turbo states with PScheck when I had turbo enabled. maybe 50% sure on that c;

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Well, you'd still have to test it in a regular state first. Or maybe selectively force different turbo/high level states through PScheck, it MIGHT be assumable to be stable with half the cores at your desired turbo and half the cores at max regular state clocking, applied to lower states for stress testing, repeat with cores swapped.
Quick test seems to indicate that PScheck applies mixed states nicely http://puu.sh/9Uesf/4315129ba9.png (both cores of a given module require the same clock though)
Of course it's hard to verify that the theory works c; Nice to have easy access to the full load turbo either way!

edit: also, I have turbo off now but I seem to remember it was possible to actually force turbo states with PScheck when I had turbo enabled. maybe 50% sure on that c;

RIght. Besides, there is a workaround. You can just overclock for a while, stress test at 3.8, find the voltage and then go back and put it in the bat file.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Thanks for the guide, I've been thinking about exactly this for a while now! thumb.gif
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Thanks for the guide, I've been thinking about exactly this for a while now! thumb.gif

You 're welcome! We need more undervolters! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Since you dug out the thread, i took the opportunity to update the 1st post with a new indicative string of values for [email protected]

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Turtle Lives Matter

Rep: 425 (Unique: 330)
Is this similar to the old PhenomMSRTweaker?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in