Athlon 860K, any one picking it up? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Athlon 860K, any one picking it up?

post #1 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 203 (Unique: 182)
I'm curious how well this CPU is being perceived and if anyone has any review on it currently. I know it was said to perform roughly the same as the a10-7850k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 AM
New to OCN?

Rep: 1545 (Unique: 927)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan View Post

I'm curious how well this CPU is being perceived and if anyone has any review on it currently. I know it was said to perform roughly the same as the a10-7850k.

on which task?
post #3 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 203 (Unique: 182)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

on which task?

Almost everything except for the graphical department of course. If it is the cpu power of the 7850, then I might get it to replace my unlocked Phenom and run a mini itx build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM
New to OCN?

Rep: 1545 (Unique: 927)
Quote:

Almost everything except for the graphical department of course. If it is the cpu power of the 7850, then I might get it to replace my unlocked Phenom and run a mini itx build.

I would but if your application need many threads and fx 8320 is also another option
post #5 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 169 (Unique: 99)
Quote:

Quote:

At this point a 750K, 760K and 860K are pretty comparable to a 965BE. Anand Bench has them pretty much neck and neck. When I run my A10-5800K at 4.4 GHz with the same discrete card as my 965 BE at 4.2 GHz I get pretty much the same framerates. People have reported lukewarm overclocking results on the cpu side with the A10-7850K.

Ryzen- Too lazy to list everything. ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero- R5 1600, MSI Gaming Titanium- R5 2400G
post #6 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM
KRORK

Rep: 83 (Unique: 57)
Well the 860k is nothing more than a batch of Kaveri chips that bad GPU's, so they fused them off and sell them as Athlon's. They will perform the same as the Kaveri APU's clock-for-clock since they have the same core architecture and cache sizes.
Quote:
People have reported lukewarm overclocking results on the cpu side with the A10-7850K.

Yeah, the CPU side would top out at 4.5ghz on average, and the 860k won't fare any better, so it most likely wouldn't be a better buy than the 760k is since the 760k can OC higher, negating most of the IPC improvements.

"Designing microprocessors is like playing Russian roulette. You put a gun to your head, pull the trigger, and find out four years later if you blew your brains out."
-Robert Palmer
post #7 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 169 (Unique: 99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaroonGTX View Post

Well the 860k is nothing more than a batch of Kaveri chips that bad GPU's, so they fused them off and sell them as Athlon's. They will perform the same as the Kaveri APU's clock-for-clock since they have the same core architecture and cache sizes.
Yeah, the CPU side would top out at 4.5ghz on average, and the 860k won't fare any better, so it most likely wouldn't be a better buy than the 760k is since the 760k can OC higher, negating most of the IPC improvements.

I think enthusiasts would buy the 860K out of curiosity. I would really love to get a ASUS Crossblade Ranger and build a machine around it. Except that I keep thinking my 6300 and 8320 machines are ultimately better because of the core counts and L3.

Ryzen- Too lazy to list everything. ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero- R5 1600, MSI Gaming Titanium- R5 2400G
post #8 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 52)
Quote:

Odd, the 860k was reported to only have 2mb L2 when it was paper-launched. Now it's showing up as having 4mb L2 cache. While that's a positive for the 860k, this fact would make it appear to be Kaveri with a failed GPU. The previously-reported cache configuration made it appear as though it came from its own wafer.

Watch this space for future . . . uh . . . stuff! Yeah. That.
post #9 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 AM
KRORK

Rep: 83 (Unique: 57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post

Odd, the 860k was reported to only have 2mb L2 when it was paper-launched. Now it's showing up as having 4mb L2 cache. While that's a positive for the 860k, this fact would make it appear to be Kaveri with a failed GPU. The previously-reported cache configuration made it appear as though it came from its own wafer.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why they would report them as having 2MB instead of 4MB L2$. I don't think half of the L2$ cluster can be shut off like that, since each module has 2MB of L2$. I do know that the upcoming Carrizo will have 1MB of L2$ per module rather than 2MB.

"Designing microprocessors is like playing Russian roulette. You put a gun to your head, pull the trigger, and find out four years later if you blew your brains out."
-Robert Palmer
post #10 of 3195 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 52)
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not really sure why they would report them as having 2MB instead of 4MB L2$. I don't think half of the L2$ cluster can be shut off like that, since each module has 2MB of L2$. I do know that the upcoming Carrizo will have 1MB of L2$ per module rather than 2MB.

It was possibly a typo, or someone assuming that the 860k was an early run of Carrizo with bad GPUs or something.

Watch this space for future . . . uh . . . stuff! Yeah. That.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in