AMD Kaveri Refresh A10-7870K Apu arrives. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD Kaveri Refresh A10-7870K Apu arrives.

post #11 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 749 (Unique: 286)
The 3GHz throttling in Kaveri doesn´t have the effect it appears to have based only on the difference in frequency.

If the CPU domain requires greater power envelope while the CPU throttles to 3GHz frequency the power management will burst the CPU frequency back up to meet the new requirements. Steamroller can change it´s frequency state 500 000 times per second (minus the "dead time" from Pll release). This is the reason why you don´t see any performance difference in most applications or benchmarks between the stock condition and "throttling disabled" condition. The only benchmark I´ve personally seen the difference in is Luxmark (in CPU + GPU) mode as it fully utilizes the CPU but also requires CPU processing power to feed the GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 57)
I tried installing Luxmark but it threw a 'missing msvcp120.dll' error at me when I ran it, and when I scared up the missing file and stuck it in the command folder it then threw an application error &H7B - all this with 5 copies of vcredist_x86 and 3 copies of vcredist_x64 installed!
post #13 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himo5 View Post

I tried installing Luxmark but it threw a 'missing msvcp120.dll' error at me when I ran it, and when I scared up the missing file and stuck it in the command folder it then threw an application error &H7B - all this with 5 copies of vcredist_x86 and 3 copies of vcredist_x64 installed!

Run some OCCT to verify your stability. When you play with your bus you also overclock your ram so also memtest86+ that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 170 (Unique: 87)
This actually looks good to upgrade to. Always fancied an A10 chip so this "future" product shall be in all the stores soon, I suppose?
post #15 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:44 AM

Any point in waiting for this instead of getting a 7850K now; especially iGPU wise? How about crossfiring with GPU's, will this new APU crossfire with newer ones? Any chance these APU's use DDR4 RAM? Anything I could do to get decent frames in Metal Gear Solid 5 at 1440p with an APU and decent dgpu?
post #16 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannakji View Post

Any point in waiting for this instead of getting a 7850K now; especially iGPU wise? How about crossfiring with GPU's, will this new APU crossfire with newer ones? Any chance these APU's use DDR4 RAM? Anything I could do to get decent frames in Metal Gear Solid 5 at 1440p with an APU and decent dgpu?

DDR4 requires a specific controller module to be built on the CPU.

So no. Zen will have DDR4 support.

post #17 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm not having much luck running any useful benchmarks relating to GPU output, such as Luxmark or Compubench, and Cinebench_R15 could only give a reading of 304 for the CPU run.

I reinstalled Catalyst but it doesn't seem to have registered the iGPU properly.

However, Aida64Engineer was a little more forthcoming:
post #18 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 64)
do you mind trying amdoverdrive to monitor temps and maybe gpuz or hwinfo to monitor clocks and run firestrike or something? Thanks for sharing everything else so far though thumb.gif
post #19 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My editing note: This Spoiler covers irrelevant content. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have finally discovered something I should really have been looking for in the first place, which is summed up in this shot of the AIS3_GPUBoost screen:

In other words, there is as yet no software support for the iGPU at all, neither in Catalyst from AMD nor from the BIOS or AIS3 from Asus. You can see it in this CPU-Z screenshot:

As for Firestrike &etc. I need to hold off any further installations until I have full hardware support.
But here's HWMonitor in action.
post #20 of 537 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Nice! Could you post the 7870K P-states please? You could check with AMDMSRTweaker.
Thanks in advanced!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in