[Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club - Page 200 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club

post #1991 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 354 (Unique: 199)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan45 View Post

I think it depends on the card and OC software. With PrecisionX and my 980TiKPE I can set a static clock eliminating the boost.

I see, either way it sort of need to be static to be able to compare in a review. Anyway, I'm curious to see how low of settings I would have to put to actually cpu bottleneck my 7950. rolleyes.gif

640x480 testing....naow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

well that confirms it then, sloppy work indeed....
I tested it only on GTX 660 and it's bit complicated. It requires skill to set it to correct frequency and voltage. P2 state has reduced clock without boost, you need to do certain things to alter voltage before applying correct full speed clock.

I understand that, but since a 1080 has some very high clock speeds out of the box which causes higher boost clocks then it would make sense to at least try and lock it down?

I get why reviewers used it and I fully expect a follow up to come in later when the 1600x drops but it's while GPU boost is great for gamers it's a pain for reviewers :/
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan45 View Post

I think it depends on the card and OC software. With PrecisionX and my 980TiKPE I can set a static clock eliminating the boost.

I see, either way it sort of need to be static to be able to compare in a review. Anyway, I'm curious to see how low of settings I would have to put to actually cpu bottleneck my 7950. rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

How is Tahiti holding up? seems like it'll never die tongue.gif

It's actually surprisingly good in modern titles, although 3gb of vRAM is starting to become a limiting factor. Also with the "fine wine technology" it's just going to get better to a point anyway... Either way I'm not killing it I'm going to take my 3570k and my 7950 and build a better gaming machine for my younger brother who is still stuck on an older system that I build for him with HD5770 and a core 2. So that's hopefully going to be a nice birthday gift smile.gif

I was actually benching a 7970 a little earlier today for fun so I thought I'd ask smile.gif

That'll make a killer upgrade for sure, I'll be picking up a Kaby Lake chip later in the year to go into my Z270 board and that'll go to someone in need, will be keeping my FX gear around for benching fun though.

AMD Community Manager for ANZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1992 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
If currently a 3200 ram only runs at 2133 potentially via a bios update it will be able to run at 3200 correct?

AMD Ryzen 1700 3.7Ghz @ 1.3V | Asus B350-Plus | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | EVGA 600W | MSI RX 460 2GB GDDR5
post #1993 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Just picked up my 1700x, and I'm sad to say that my old AM2 cooler wont fit with the clip. It seems that the new CPUs have a different package size which makes it so that the older coolers have to tight of a fit to be used, and I'm quite sure that if I could cram it on I would end up squashing either the CPU or the mobo socket (or both).

I already have the EK am4 brackets so I'm always going to get it mounted, but it also means I will have to go directly on to water without actually testing a different cooler first. Which is something I'm not particularly fond of doing.

Anyway, since I believe we can never get enough pictures of this stuff I have some here for you guys smile.gif

Edit: oh and the memory is quite slow so I'll have to wait and see how much of a factor that is on this thing, I tend to prefer more memory rather than speedy memory but it sounds like speed is quite important on this one.

Was it safe to update the bios to 0504? I am getting my x370 Prime tomorrow with an 1700x. I have heard that upgrading from bios 0502 to bios 0504 raises the temperature measurements a lot on the x chip. Might just be faulty reading on the new bios though.

Acer X34A | Intel i9-7940X | ASRock X299 Taichi XE | RTX 2080 FE | G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 C16 QC - 32GB | NZXT Kraken X62 | Samsung 960 EVO | Fractal Define S Window | Corsair RM850i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1994 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 PM
What's a computer?

Rep: 97 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusavr View Post

Was it safe to update the bios to 0504? I am getting my x370 Prime tomorrow with an 1700x. I have heard that upgrading from bios 0502 to bios 0504 raises the temperature measurements a lot on the x chip. Might just be faulty reading on the new bios though.

Won't have first boot for a couple of days, but I doubt it will pose any major issues. If it does then you can always just revert back to 0502 (I'm assuming that shouldn't be all that difficult).
post #1995 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 49)
Hardware fr have updated their review with interesting results when you undo core parking. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-2/zen-architecture-equilibree.html
post #1996 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 168 (Unique: 123)
Hey guys, not an owner, but I am thinking seriously about going AMD over my current 5930K X99 set-up.

Biggest issue I'm concerned with though, is that I also have SLI Titan XP GPU's, which on some engines, especially at higher resolutions will completely saturate the 8x / 8x PCIE 3.0 bandwidth, yielding as much as 20 to 30% more FPS when running at 16x /16x PCIE 3.0. (AFAIK it's the first GPU to actually pull off such a feat, along with the 1080ti now I suppose).

I'm not totally sold on the idea that it's a pure bandwidth issue though and may have something to do with how the CPU handles those lanes. (not wholly familiar with how the whole process works at a technical level tbh.)

With Ryzen being an AMD product and given their history on the GPU side using XDMA to utilize the PCIE lanes instead of a bridge, it stands to reason that AMD has a higher understanding of PCIE lanes as a whole, which has me wondering if intel 8x / 8x would be identical to AMD 8x / 8x set-ups.

Does anyone have the ability or knowledge on the subject enough to let me know if Ryzen is in fact superior in how it handles PCIE lanes over Intel, or am I just kind of SOL and need to wait for Skylake X for 40+ pcie lanes or Zen+ utilizing PCIE 4.0 to have a legit upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the info!

post #1997 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Correct, depending on your board, they should all have bios updates out, plenty of later reviewers and forum guys are getting 3000 with no tweaks.
post #1998 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursidae1 View Post

If currently a 3200 ram only runs at 2133 potentially via a bios update it will be able to run at 3200 correct?
post #1999 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 196 (Unique: 159)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMock View Post

Hey guys, not an owner, but I am thinking seriously about going AMD over my current 5930K X99 set-up.

Biggest issue I'm concerned with though, is that I also have SLI Titan XP GPU's, which on some engines, especially at higher resolutions will completely saturate the 8x / 8x PCIE 3.0 bandwidth, yielding as much as 20 to 30% more FPS when running at 16x /16x PCIE 3.0. (AFAIK it's the first GPU to actually pull off such a feat, along with the 1080ti now I suppose).

I'm not totally sold on the idea that it's a pure bandwidth issue though and may have something to do with how the CPU handles those lanes. (not wholly familiar with how the whole process works at a technical level tbh.)

With Ryzen being an AMD product and given their history on the GPU side using XDMA to utilize the PCIE lanes instead of a bridge, it stands to reason that AMD has a higher understanding of PCIE lanes as a whole, which has me wondering if intel 8x / 8x would be identical to AMD 8x / 8x set-ups.

Does anyone have the ability or knowledge on the subject enough to let me know if Ryzen is in fact superior in how it handles PCIE lanes over Intel, or am I just kind of SOL and need to wait for Skylake X for 40+ pcie lanes or Zen+ utilizing PCIE 4.0 to have a legit upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the info!

You're going to get a variety of answers on this topic. Most of which are just hearsay and not wholly verified or based on erroneous assumptions. From my own personal testing, there's about 10% performance deficit on x16/x8 vs x16/x16, but as you've yourself stated, that's using intels platform.

Unfortunately, there will not be a way to test what the true results are on the amd platform until we see either a chip with at least 32 pcie lanes dedicated to gpu's or a motherboard that will utilize a plx/pex chip.

Having said that, I would find it unacceptable to give up performance anywhere if I've invested in a pair of 1080 ti's or TXP's.
post #2000 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

So its very early BIOS as i suspected, the question is, how do i find my exact specs of my RAM?

btw, i think this is my 16gb 8gbx2 kit:
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC4-25600-Platform-F4-3200C16D-16GVK/dp/B0153XBZKW

it's a ripjaw 3200 mhz, 16 timing? No idea if single rank or double, no idea who makes the die, so what specific detail is this ram?

I have had to go check specs and put in manual timing for my last two systems.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in