[Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club - Page 203 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club

post #2021 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)
Hey, something I am curious about, and I haven't seen mentioned or talked about is whether or not the location the chip was made has any bearing/influence on performance. I have mostly seen from reviewers chips made in China, while others have some made in Malaysia... just curious if there is any correlation (I remember a time when there was a debate as to whether Costa Rica intel chips were better/worse than their Malaysian counterparts...)

Anyways, count me part of the club:

Now I am just waiting for a board.. decided to jump on the ASRock x370 Killer SLI that is currently in stock at Newegg... figured that the price was good enough that should it not be a great board, I can at least save up for when stock becomes more stable, and prices level out some. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2022 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 794 (Unique: 514)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand3853 View Post

Hey, something I am curious about, and I haven't seen mentioned or talked about is whether or not the location the chip was made has any bearing/influence on performance. I have mostly seen from reviewers chips made in China, while others have some made in Malaysia... just curious if there is any correlation (I remember a time when there was a debate as to whether Costa Rica intel chips were better/worse than their Malaysian counterparts...)

Are these even fabbed at multiple locations? For Intel at least, the location on the chip is just where it is mounted on the PCB and packaged - which shouldn't make any difference at all with the IHS soldered on.

Edit: Looks like the "diffused in ..." is where it was fabbed, so unless that is different it shouldn't matter. Should all be Diffused in USA at Glo-Fo's New York fab.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #2023 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyenz View Post

Is 3900 at 1.35v any good for a 1700 or i got myself a dud (like always)?
Binning results for 1700.

1.35V and 3.9GHz is about average but do remember that the differences between chips are very small +-50MHz unlike Intel 4 core chips where one would max out at 4.4GHz and other at 4.8GHz, with the sample linked it's more like 3.95 vs 4.05GHz, pretty consistent considering it's such a new CPU and first 14nm.

As far as I know all the fabs cooperate and even GF with Samsung to improve the quality, so if one manages to improve something it gets to the others as well, meaning there shouldn't be much if any difference between different fabs. It's not like one chip is from GF 14nm and another from TSMC 16nm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2024 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 462 (Unique: 262)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand3853 View Post

Are these even fabbed at multiple locations? For Intel at least, the location on the chip is just where it is mounted on the PCB and packaged - which shouldn't make any difference at all with the IHS soldered on.

Edit: Looks like the "diffused in ..." is where it was fabbed, so unless that is different it shouldn't matter. Should all be Diffused in USA at Glo-Fo's New York fab.

In the very limited number of comparisons the China chips have a slight advantage too early to tell honestly though. I have a batch 1707 1800X - still waiting on the board.
post #2025 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 794 (Unique: 514)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

In the very limited number of comparisons the China chips have a slight advantage too early to tell honestly though. I have a batch 1707 1800X - still waiting on the board.

Unless there is some reason to think that the actual mounting and packaging makes a difference in the overclock (with Intel you could argue that not soldering could make that a possibility), I'm firmly in the camp that people are just seeing a difference because they want to see one. If there are multiple fabs involved, maybe, but variation among batches is probably going to be larger than any variation in packaging location.

But I'm a skeptic by nature.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #2026 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Cool, mine's Made in China, batch 1707 too biggrin.gif
post #2027 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Owner of 20 SSDs

Rep: 186 (Unique: 137)
error code 5b on mobo, Reset PPI failed.

Um, yea, this mobo only works at JEDEC 2133 mhz for now. need better BIOs badly, otherwise all is stable.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZFtt6
Threadripper 1950X
MSI X399 Pro Carbon
32gb ram, 4x8gb 2133
Titan X Pascal
10 freaking SSDs.
Corsair AX1200i
post #2028 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Unless there is some reason to think that the actual mounting and packaging makes a difference in the overclock (with Intel you could argue that not soldering could make that a possibility), I'm firmly in the camp that people are just seeing a difference because they want to see one. If there are multiple fabs involved, maybe, but variation among batches is probably going to be larger than any variation in packaging location.

But I'm a skeptic by nature.

This makes sense..Ultimately I was just curious if there would/could be any difference. I just remember some discussion/theory crafting (I believe when Sandy bridge released) that there was a difference between the Costa Rica and Malaysia chips. Regardless, I can't wait to get my chip up and running and put it through its paces.

post #2029 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 56)
Hey guys im still on the fence with what mobo to go with. I am planning on building in nzxt H440, which comes with 4 fans. The asus prime x370 pro only comes with 2 fan headers, but it also has
1 x CPU OPT Fan header (4-pin)
1 x AIO Pump header (4-pin)
1 x W_PUMP+ header (4-pin)

Could i use two of those to connect the other two fans and use the asus fan tuning software? Just seems weird to only have 2 chassis fan headers on a 160 dollar motherboard.

Thanks.

Gaming pc
(9 items)
HTPC
(8 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Rog Strix z370-F
GPU
Nvidia Founders Edition RTX 2060
RAM
Gskill Trident-z RGB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 evo 1tb
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G3
Cooling
NZXT Kraken x62
Case
NZXT S340 elite
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
CPU
AMD Athlon 5350
Motherboard
Asrock AM1B-ITX
RAM
4GB crucial 1600mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 60gb
Case
Linkworld 920-01
Monitor
Vizio Smartcast E55
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Audio
Vizio 3.1 Soundbar
▲ hide details ▲
post #2030 of 19171 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:14 PM
More Power

Rep: 43 (Unique: 40)
So was all onboard this Ryzen train and ordered all new. 1700x, Asrock Taichi, 16gb ddr4 3000, nvme 500gb m2 drive. A sight oversight on my part, no AM4 cpu mounts as of yet for my watercooling setup from Deepcool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in