Using Windows 7 on Ryzen Systems - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Using Windows 7 on Ryzen Systems

post #1 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Stock *ahem*

Rep: 307 (Unique: 237)
So, I am a die-hard Windows 7 user. tongue.gif

The original version of this post was motivated by these two things that were being discussed not long after the Ryzen launch:

• Ryzen seems to actually have less issues with Windows 7 (maybe the scheduler is less aggressive?)
  • Microsoft may only release a patch for Windows 10

Since then it is clear that AMD's chipset drivers have been issued for Win7 as well as 10, but any scheduling patches have been for Windows 10 only.

It would be useful to have comparison benchmarks between Win7 and Win10, although I have yet to see any.

Motherboards known to have PS/2 ports and/or native working USB 2.0 ports on boot of Win7 install DVD:

• ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming

EDIT as of 1 January 2018:

(List added above, thread title changed, boldface added below in a couple of places, text above modified to take into account that the thread has evolved since its early inception)

For anyone new to this thread, summary of what people have said:

• INSTALLATION FROM OPTICAL MEDIA IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
  • Results seem to be motherboard-dependent, but in general a DVD that is known to be from Microsoft either through purchase or through Digital River's ISO release program when it was in operation will work fairly well if PS/2 ports are present (see below for more).
  • Use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse if at all possible during the install process for best results.
  • If you cannot use a PS/2 mouse, at least use a PS/2 keyboard and use "tab" copiously.
  • USB 2.0 ports are not yet verified to work natively in installing on Ryzen systems, at least on ASRock X370 Pro motherboards, for either USB media or in using a USB keyboard+mouse.
  • It is possible to slipstream in USB 3.x drivers into Windows 7 for systems that lack any PS/2 type ports (A brief overview for how to do so is given here).
  • The AMD Ryzen chipset drivers are required and should be installed immediately on first boot to the Windows 7 desktop for best results.
  • The "AMD Balanced" power scheme may or may not show meaningful benefits on Windows 7.
  • M.2 drives still have some 'teething issues' on Ryzen motherboards, so transfer speeds may be reduced compared to Intel systems. SATA SSDs connected via cable should not have this issue since the chipset drivers will install SATA support.
  • Microsoft has purposely broken Windows Update for the latest-generation Intel as well as Ryzen. There is a DLL patch available, and other workarounds exist as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 519 (Unique: 255)
Since nobody knows anything, here's what i think. Microsoft is so desperate to push Win10 that won't move a finger. AMD has probably hands tied by MS on the same issue. It means, Win7 will probably work "as is" and we 're lucky they released motherboard drivers for Win7 (because i read that Win8.1 got no drivers). No reviewer dares mention that Win7 exists, much less do comparisons. I only read someone saying, that Stilt thought it runs better in WIn7 than in Win10. But, Win10 will probably get a patch. Which will leave Ryzen in Win7 with a performance penalty. Is there anything else crippled that we don't know of? Maybe. At this point i expect to hear more from some Ryzen user that will install Win7 than from the "professional" reviewers that seem to completely ignore the issue.

Ryzen 2600 - MSI B450 Gaming Plus - 16GB Corsair 3000Mhz C15 - GTX 750Ti
post #3 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
​​​Supports Windows 10/7 (​64-bit)

Needs to be preloaded at OS install

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Stock *ahem*

Well, Ryzen is dribbling out into the consumer market now so I guess I'll just have to sit tight and wait for Win7 benches on Ryzen. If I had the money I would actually just build one myself to do the testing but I'm not that rich tongue.gif
post #5 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

Well, Ryzen is dribbling out into the consumer market now so I guess I'll just have to sit tight and wait for Win7 benches on Ryzen. If I had the money I would actually just build one myself to do the testing but I'm not that rich tongue.gif

I see you have a 4690K. So why haste? Enjoy the ride and wait for Zen2. If Zen1 runs the way it runs on Win7, i don't see why Zen2 won't. If it doesn't it only means you will be able to grab some Zen1 cheaper and with less buggy motherboards than today... Ryzen is very good, but by AMD's tradition, the 2nd generations are always much better. Worst of all, right now, the early adapters are being used as beta testers. It's total chaos. You see people on motherboards of the same brand, getting completely different temperature readings. Let alone that in my view, the worst problem is the RAM compatibility.

GSkill today announced that it will release new series of memories "for Ryzen". I mean, we are long way from having a "polished" platform here. For all we know, AMD may release a new stepping. This was common in Phenom chips and nobody wanted to have the early steppings after seeing the new ones. Ryzen is good, but it suffers youth problems. Since your CPU can keep you going, why rush to become a guinea pig too?

post #6 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Stock *ahem*

I am planning to wait in any case for Ryzen R5 later this year, but I am a little concerned about Win7 support, especially if it's not forthcoming in the next few months.
post #7 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

I am planning to wait in any case for Ryzen R5 later this year, but I am a little concerned about Win7 support, especially if it's not forthcoming in the next few months.

Win7 will likely remain with a penalty, if Microsoft releases a patch for the scheduler. AMD said also, that they will release at some point, a driver to adress the performance issue about balanced power profile and core unparking. Will they include Win7 too? Unknown, but i am not optimistic. Right now, to eliminate the problem, you must use high perf profile. But this is something you can solve manually, by changing profile yourself. There are also antiviruses that have game mode that automatically activates high perf profile when you game (like Avast) and small applications that sit on systray and allow you with a click to change power profiles without going to control panel. So that's something you can deal with. What you can't solve yourself, is the possible scheduler patch. The only solution will be to disable SMT when you play games. I don't know what else there might be. My bigger concern is how the general performance is, aside these 2 issues and whether all extensions (like AVX2) work normally or not.

post #8 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here's some good news. Ryzen 17% faster in Win7 than Win10 in draw calls, according to Stilt:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-5#

Maybe Win10's spyware keeps the CPU busy. devil.gif

Oh boy... That's what i wanted to hear. No need to slipstream the USB drivers into the Win7 installation, if you use DVD to install. biggrin.gif

Also, always from Stilt:
Quote:
I've used Win 7 about 95% of the time on Ryzen.
Only the actual performance evaluation was done with Win 10, as it wasn't up to me. biggrin.gif
The performance differences are minor, but very constant regardless (in favor of Win 7).
biggrin.gif

post #9 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Stock *ahem*

Nice! And I wouldn't be surprised if Win10's extra "baggage" hurts more than people realize because I doubt MS would bother optimizing that code. tongue.gif

I still can't get over that 17.8% better draw call performance just from switching OSes. eek.gif
post #10 of 335 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
​​​Supports Windows 10/7 (​64-bit)

Needs to be preloaded at OS install

Can this be preinstalled before migrating? Otherwise I guess we'll have to wait for someone to strip the driver files out.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in