FX giving bad FPS? Here's how to tune your old FX to give better in game performance... - Page 61 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FX giving bad FPS? Here's how to tune your old FX to give better in game performance...

post #601 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Rep: 80 (Unique: 46)
generally if you set manual voltage is stays there... offset will, depending on the board, generally allow voltage to drop along with clocks... although, I've found over the years that even with the same board, different cpu's act differently... I had an 8350 that would actually do all turbo states and everything with manual speeds set for each, and offset voltages... but then I had a 9590 that would only overclock manually, any offsets or attempts to change turbo speeds, even via fsb overclocking, would result in a crash unless voltage was set manually and even then turbo had to be disabled to do it.... I got better all core overclocks out of it than I could single core... so to sum it up... it can get very strange with fx.... I'd pick a manual setting you like and just stick with it... fx cpu's are very durable and my old 9590 is still chugging along after being left at 1.464v / 5ghz it's whole life mostly, sometimes it was 1.5+ and 5.117ghz

Intel who?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post
generally if you set manual voltage is stays there... offset will, depending on the board, generally allow voltage to drop along with clocks... although, I've found over the years that even with the same board, different cpu's act differently... I had an 8350 that would actually do all turbo states and everything with manual speeds set for each, and offset voltages... but then I had a 9590 that would only overclock manually, any offsets or attempts to change turbo speeds, even via fsb overclocking, would result in a crash unless voltage was set manually and even then turbo had to be disabled to do it.... I got better all core overclocks out of it than I could single core... so to sum it up... it can get very strange with fx.... I'd pick a manual setting you like and just stick with it... fx cpu's are very durable and my old 9590 is still chugging along after being left at 1.464v / 5ghz it's whole life mostly, sometimes it was 1.5+ and 5.117ghz
Ok, understand it. Anyway, i would not go to manage turbo core frequencies or voltage. Too far above for my time and what i would like to do.
The off set, if i would like to use it, is only for the use of cool&quiet - energy saver mode but i don't even if i don't know about stability and so on.
Setting the 6th profile now saved.
Do u have any tips about the BIOS settings?

Thanks
post #603 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by TekG View Post
Ok, understand it. Anyway, i would not go to manage turbo core frequencies or voltage. Too far above for my time and what i would like to do.
The off set, if i would like to use it, is only for the use of cool&quiet - energy saver mode but i don't even if i don't know about stability and so on.
Setting the 6th profile now saved.
Do u have any tips about the BIOS settings?

Thanks
Honestly, I've had 4 different FX rigs (my son is using my last one) and they all acted different... it's a bit hard to make a blanket recommendation... but I never was able to get the cool-n-quiet to work unless I used a FSB overclock and voltage offset mode, while leaving multipliers on auto... this can be a bit difficult to tune in and turning up the LLC to very high or high to keep vdroop at a minimum under load can help.... On my first FX rig this was the easiest way to overclock it actually... I just set the FSB up to 220 and voila I had a turbo speed of 4.62ghz with base clocks around 4ghz... and at idle it would drop down to 1.54ghz... I was able to get higher base clocks by disabling turbo and raising FSB higher... This tactic might work for you, but it can be a pain... and vishera seemed a bit more finicky than first gen FX with trying to get the downclocking to work at idle for some reason... so I ended up just doing a full manual OC...

Intel who?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 458 (Unique: 259)
Sleep functions as well as downclocking at idle with an overclock on my ASUS boards never seem to work right. Havent tried all combinations of Bios or cpu however.

GD-80 on the original bios worked pretty well.

Example

FX8370E 5839mhz MSI 990FXA GD80 - custom water http://valid.x86.fr/3jk1vz
FX - 9370 @ 5740mhz MSI 990FXA GD-80 with an H-100 proof.gifhttp://valid.canardpc.com/s04jcj
I like MSI motherboards and this is why smile.gif
8350 @ 5.2 ghz on a stock cooler proof.gif PM me! smile.gif
post #605 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
Sleep functions as well as downclocking at idle with an overclock on my ASUS boards never seem to work right. Havent tried all combinations of Bios or cpu however.

GD-80 on the original bios worked pretty well.

Example https://youtu.be/-pi2_eDey20
That's true, and I forgot to mention that I've only worked with ASUS boards for the last 4 builds I've had... only my first FX build was done on Gigabyte board... and come to think of it... it was the only one the turbo/sleep/downclocking at idle stuff really just worked even when overclocking

Intel who?

post #606 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I still need to read through the 61 pages, I only got to page 5, found myself back on this site when doing some hdd research and a forum link came up in google but all in all this was a very nice read, I wouldn't mind nabbing a cheap fx system as a backup pc. Years ago, people swore the NB/HT tweaking did nothing for FX, while admitting it did help Phenom II. Years ago, I rigged up a frankenstein cheap Phenom x6 1055t, and OC'd on a VERY sucky low end MSI board via FSB and tweaking NB, I think they claimed to leave the HT at the default 4000 on those old things, but with an hd 7870ghz edition years ago it did fine for me on most 1080p games.

I did use out of curiosity an fx 8320E with MSI Gaming 970 and 16gb 1333 ram for the end of 2016 until the middle of 2017, and it multitasked fine, I slightly OC'd it to all cores 4ghz and it'd idle down when not doing demanding stuff. I was playing lots of arma 2 day z mod and arma 3 at the time though and the fps dipped down too low, so I nabbed an i7 2600k via ebay cheap, and OC'd it to 4.4ghz, and honestly, if the z68 asus motherboard didn't suck and overheat and crash due to no VRM I'd still be using it, in my cases, it gamed and multitasked and even streamed the same as my newer ryzen 1700 pc when the 2600k was OC'd. But finding a new or good condition z68 or z77 mobo these days that isn't price gouged online isn't worth it, so last year I went ryzen 1700 with 16gb 3000mhz ram. The other day I finally OC'd this to 3.7ghz at 1.18 and it felt like a nice improvement over the slight OC to 3.2 on all cores I was doing prior. 1st gen ryzens from my reading topped out at about 4ghz if they could even reach that, so me being 300mhz lower doesn't hurt me and isn't the end of the world, I'm still on the stock cooler.

......reading what I've read, I wonder if this could have helped my low fps in the arma games. Although, I suppose fast ddr3 is needed too? It's odd fast ram seems to help these older cpu, read some on fast ram even helping sandy bridge/ivy bridge too. People years ago always swore ram speed didn't matter whatsoever and that those cpu only support 1333 or 1600 at the most anyway and anything faster was supposedly useless, same with fx on its fastest support 1866 ram, people swore spending more on 1866 ram years ago wasn't worth it for fx either really.

Main-Ryzen 1700 8c/16t 3.7ghz, 16gb 3000mhz ram, RX 480 8gb, OS on Samsung 840 SSD, ~4tb bulk 7200rpm storage
Backup-HP Z400 base, Xeon 5675 6c/12t, 14gb 1333 ecc, GTX 660 OEM, 320gb WD Black 7200rpm laptop hdd
post #607 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Had "problem" solved using an offset mode voltage and fixing the other parameterse just like same as the previous.
Leave ram on auto and was set as default 13-13-13-38 @ 2040mhz, 12 h HCI thank 4 h of OCCT large data. Seems to work good at the moment. Monitoring windows error and other things meanwhile playing Dota 2 and seem are better thank a pentium g3220, but i would like to make a fps comparison now against OC and stock 8320E with turbo and i would know what happen .
Now i'm complaining for 11-12-11-33 ram with a little overvolt to stock (taken quite the same timing as the "bumped up" crucial from the list working at 2100 mhz.

I've to thank you very much guys ( Minotaurtoo,cssorkinman,mattliston) cause you are still reading and helping in 2019 on this thread!
post #608 of 609 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Here is my Mini Review with FX and 2019 Games & Applications

| Prime-PRO | Ryzen [email protected] | RX570 Strix | 2x 8GB Crucial Ballistix @3066Mhz CL12 | AX850W | 850 EVO | ESi X-Fi Prodigy | Mackie HR6 | LG UM34

post #609 of 609 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Have to thank you guys for this tips & guide. Improved some performance even on Dota 2 and this is what i need!
Trying to improve & stretch ram timings now. Slowly with patinece

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in