Getting more out of your Ryzen CPU. (I haven't seen much on this method) - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Getting more out of your Ryzen CPU. (I haven't seen much on this method)

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 256)
Thanks for both Process Lasso (i had it in the past as free giveaway, but seemed to add lag to the FX instead of helping it, so i never kept it around for long) and Project Mercury (which i 've never heard before). It only means that one will have to do more experiments in Ryzen to see what effectively helps more. Project Mercury's approach resembles that patch for Windows scheduler that M$ had released for FX, making the scheduler to assign one thread per module, before assigning 2 threads in 1 module. So this has a logic.

EDIT: Trying to find the 64bit of Project Mercury (i 've only found the 32bit), i stumbled on this post, which i thought may interest people. The poster is the developer of Project Mercury:

Quote:
I have 2 issues with process lasso. Now i don’t know if they are important for you but here is why i personal don’t like PRocess lasso

1: Process Lasso is very wasteful with resources. it has lot of bell and whistles that i find unneded
i ran this little test a whiel ago when i figure out how to drop the timed loop monitoring that eats UP CPU power

Work set Commit size CPU usage (Monitoring)
Mercury 1.2.0.1 588-616k 3336-3336k 0%
TopWinPrio 1 8276-11176k 29328-32228k 0.018%
TipWinPrio B3 6880-9792k 47776-50268k 0.024%
ProcessTamer 2400-2600k 3136-3416k 0.05%
ProcessLAsso 2108k 11748k 0.156%

Copy paste to notepad would make it easier to read

But what we see is that is that project mercury uses a lot less physical RAM (work set) and np CPU ressoruce When you are just sitting in the same programs (aka playing a game) but process lasso eats up 0.15% of the CPU constantly (i7 2700k @4.4 at the time)

You will also notice that almost every other release it for CPU usage optimizing, because I am constantly aware of not wasting the user resources.

2: in standard configuration Process lasso will fall flat under heavy multitasking. Try to run 3 HYperpi in the background to simulate heavy workload and run a benchmark you will see Process lasso does not help anywhere
The reason for this is that process lasso looks fro a process that uses up more than 80% of a core.
now if you have 8 process that are CPU heavy on a Quadcore CPU they are all only getting 50% each.
Process lasso does not find a single process taking more than 80% and therefore does not adjust anything

That is why Bitsum always tries to make you test with Their own progam to hide this issues from you and to have control of the test.
I always suggest using something that is not from my hand to test with.

However. if this applies to you are not are totally up to you. I am just giving in my 2 cents.
Personally i often have several CPU heavy process running because i do a lot of brute force compression. Which is the reason i made this program (inspired from topwinprio. but topwinprio had memory leaks)

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/21/pr...ad-situations/

Ryzen 2600 - MSI B450 Gaming Plus - 16GB Corsair 3000Mhz C15 - GTX 750Ti

Last edited by Undervolter; 02-10-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 477 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post
Thanks for both Process Lasso (i had it in the past as free giveaway, but seemed to add lag to the FX instead of helping it, so i never kept it around for long) and Project Mercury (which i 've never heard before). It only means that one will have to do more experiments in Ryzen to see what effectively helps more. Project Mercury's approach resembles that patch for Windows scheduler that M$ had released for FX, making the scheduler to assign one thread per module, before assigning 2 threads in 1 module. So this has a logic.

EDIT: Trying to find the 64bit of Project Mercury (i 've only found the 32bit), i stumbled on this post, which i thought may interest people. The poster is the developer of Project Mercury:
Good to see you old friend!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
Good to see you old friend!
Ah! Cssorkinman!!! The old AMD guard is gathering up again, one after the other! I am very glad to see you too!!! The AMD forum would never be the same without you! I just finished my Ryzen build!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ah! Cssorkinman!!! The old AMD guard is gathering up again, one after the other! I am very glad to see you too!!! The AMD forum would never be the same without you! I just finished my Ryzen build!

Kind words, thank you ! Have fun with the new rig!
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Kind words, thank you ! Have fun with the new rig!
Thanks! To be honest, i find less fun in "tinkering" with the PC nowdays. I prefer it when it just works. Which is another reason i installed Win7 again. I know it like the back of my hand. I assembled and installed Windows, tweaked and all programs and made 2 system images in 7 hours. That's the merit of using the OS you know and have "automatized" procedures when reinstalling. Tomorrow i will install the few games i play and see how it does.

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! To be honest, i find less fun in "tinkering" with the PC nowdays. I prefer it when it just works. Which is another reason i installed Win7 again. I know it like the back of my hand. I assembled and installed Windows, tweaked and all programs and made 2 system images in 7 hours. That's the merit of using the OS you know and have "automatized" procedures when reinstalling. Tomorrow i will install the few games i play and see how it does.
Interested to see how you get along with win 7. I much prefer it to win 10 - however the only experiment I've tried with 7 and Ryzen ended up with a borked os ( could have been my memory overclocking ).

In a nod to the undervolter, I'm typing this on an FX 9370 with a VID of 1.53volts running at 4.4ghz on 1.35 V lol.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Interested to see how you get along with win 7. I much prefer it to win 10 - however the only experiment I've tried with 7 and Ryzen ended up with a borked os ( could have been my memory overclocking ).

In a nod to the undervolter, I'm typing this on an FX 9370 with a VID of 1.53volts running at 4.4ghz on 1.35 V lol.
I wrote an extensive post in the "Ryzen 2600 questions" thread. I was prepared for "battle". I had prepared bootable USB flash with Win7, made with "MSI smart tool", i had prepared Win7 DVD with slipstreamed all windows updates and Ryzen USB drivers, i had prepared PS2 dongle, in case i can't even get to the BIOS. At the end... i just connected mouse and keyboard to USB ports like normal, i went to BIOS, put legacy DVD as first boot device, installed Windows 7, everything works! The only thing is that i don't see the "Ryzen performance power plan" and instead i get the usual "Win7 balanced plan".

No problem at all. I don't know if it's because the motherboard has 2 black USB ports on the back or not. but it was ridiculously easy and painless.

Undervolting FTW! It always works! I had bought a ton of spare AM3+ motherboards and at the end, none failed, despite running video encoding on 4+1 Asrock with 8core FX for YEARS! It still runs like day1!

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

I wrote an extensive post in the "Ryzen 2600 questions" thread. I was prepared for "battle". I had prepared bootable USB flash with Win7, made with "MSI smart tool", i had prepared Win7 DVD with slipstreamed all windows updates and Ryzen USB drivers, i had prepared PS2 dongle, in case i can't even get to the BIOS. At the end... i just connected mouse and keyboard to USB ports like normal, i went to BIOS, put legacy DVD as first boot device, installed Windows 7, everything works! The only thing is that i don't see the "Ryzen performance power plan" and instead i get the usual "Win7 balanced plan".

No problem at all. I don't know if it's because the motherboard has 2 black USB ports on the back or not. but it was ridiculously easy and painless.

Undervolting FTW! It always works! I had bought a ton of spare AM3+ motherboards and at the end, none failed, despite running video encoding on 4+1 Asrock with 8core FX for YEARS! It still runs like day1!
Good to know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	undervolting.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	253008  

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Good to know
Ahahaha! Very nice! Very nice! That's a CPU that REALLY needed undervolting!

Tags
ryzen games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in