Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, 2970WX, 2950X, 2920X owners club - Page 80 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, 2970WX, 2950X, 2920X owners club

post #791 of 815 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Seems to be okay for me... I think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	266312  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 815 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 PM
In VB's Basement

I will check my end later today to see if I also get these negative temps, I have not checked since the latest update. However thus far no other issues.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #793 of 815 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 AM
In VB's Basement

Not seeing any negative temps using Core Temp my end. I suggest doing a full BIOS reset via the CMOS reset to the back of the case and reflashing. Failing that use BIOS Flashback feature to update to the official 1.30 from MSI website, then update to 1usmus modded BIOS via his guide.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #794 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@1usmus - are the rumors of TR being cancelled true? Or you seeing any records of new procs in the new TR microcode?
post #795 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by bogdi1988 View Post
@1usmus - are the rumors of TR being cancelled true? Or you seeing any records of new procs in the new TR microcode?

I think Threadripper has simply been re-branded Ryzen 9 for the AMD HEDT Space. Would make perfect sense to me.

post #796 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:30 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 18 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
I think Threadripper has simply been re-branded Ryzen 9 for the AMD HEDT Space. Would make perfect sense to me.
All I've seen is news articles that Threadripper has been removed from the AMD product roadmap timeline. Don't know whether that means that the Threadripper platform is killed off or that means the reason for TR in the HEDT space would be fulfilled by Ryzen 9 product SKU's.

Seems like an awful waste of development time and money for the Socket SP3r2. That would mean no proper 4 channel memory HEDT products other than Epyc. There are still valid reasons for 4 channel memory platforms that 2 channel will never be able to fulfill.

ASUS-Linux
(15 items)
Serenity
(14 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
I7-6850K
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E-10G-WS
GPU
EVGA 1080TI Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
Zotac 1070Ti Mini
RAM
G.Skill Rampage 3000-CL15
Hard Drive
Adata SU-900
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1600T2
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Monitor
AOC i2269vw 22-Inch
Mouse
Logitech Marble Mouse
CPU
Ryzen+ 2700X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EVGA CLC 280
Case
Corsair Air 540
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech M520 Keyboard/Mouse combo
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070FE
GPU
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070FE
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Pro Neo Threadripper block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲
post #797 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Would make no sense. Ryzen 9 makes sense as a top end desktop, but lack of 4 or 8 channel RAM for memory intensive applications or for users that require high performance applications pretty much negates it as an HEDT option. Plus, 3000 series R9 would have less cores than TR2, so it would be a step in the wrong direction. Also it would be a huge f*** you to the folks that invested a good chunk of $ in the TR2 platform under the pretext of platform being supported for a few years - like AM4 is.
post #798 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 AM
AMD overclocker/developer

Rep: 233 (Unique: 112)
Quote: Originally Posted by bogdi1988 View Post
The release of these processors is postponed until the end of the year. This certainly sounds strange, but AMD itself has created problems. I really hope that in the performance of AM4 we will see only 12 streams maximum

Stand#1 Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX + Liqtech 240 * MSI MEG X399 CREATION * G.Skill [email protected] * Sapphire Vega 64 NITRO+ * Corsair HX750i * Samsung 960 PRO * Benq BL3201PT
Stand#2 Ryzen 2700X + NZXT Kraken x62 * MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC * G.Skill [email protected]3666CL14 * MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X * Corsair HX750i * Samsung 970 PRO
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.5.1 by me + TM 5 0.12 1usmus config v3 (memory test)
How to update BIOS correctly + Unlocked AMD_CBS for Ryzen motherboard
post #799 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 1usmus View Post
The release of these processors is postponed until the end of the year. This certainly sounds strange, but AMD itself has created problems. I really hope that in the performance of AM4 we will see only 12 streams maximum
Wow... This is surely disappointing. I really hope Threadripper's legacy lives forward and does not turn into some come and gone niche much like the Galaxy Fold...

As many other users have mentioned; Threadripper's validity is still there and will be perhaps, even if we are left with only the 2990WX for years to come. There is truly nothing like it at the price point and AMD really owns this portion of the market for consumer grade products.

The only other option that comes close to what we desire is nearly 4X more expensive: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119192

...And to which at that point we'd be shelling out the extra $8,000 solely for the metallic 'Intel Inside' stickers...not performance. Not the mention the price gouging that occurs when something is branded for professional/non-consumer grade use.

We've really been lucky to have the Threadripper line up to be able to obtain the performance benefits to the likes of which only would have only been in the reach of the extremely wealthy and companies.

I hate to be so pessimistic and fear monger but this has put the worry in me for the premium amount of money I invested into a platform that was presented to be more future proof than most. Though none the less extremely valuable currently, it would just be ever so slightly less so...

Regards
post #800 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by 1usmus View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by VoltaArchitect View Post
Wow... This is surely disappointing. I really hope Threadripper's legacy lives forward and does not turn into some come and gone niche much like the Galaxy Fold...

As many other users have mentioned; Threadripper's validity is still there and will be perhaps, even if we are left with only the 2990WX for years to come. There is truly nothing like it at the price point and AMD really owns this portion of the market for consumer grade products.
(...)
I hate to be so pessimistic and fear monger but this has put the worry in me for the premium amount of money I invested into a platform that was presented to be more future proof than most. Though none the less extremely valuable currently, it would just be ever so slightly less so...

Regards

The Ryzen 3000/16c rumours and implications for Threadripper are running rampant - even Forbes and other mainstream media are getting into the act. Now, at the very least, Lisa Su HAS TO address Threadripper's future at the upcoming Computex keynote, and with more than just wishy-washy 'at some point in the future' stuff.

...after the winning streak AMD has had since 2017, it would be a shame if they allow TR issues to spoil it. Even 'just dropping' TR from their recent product map for investors without an explanation was, IMO, a corporate blunder. That kind of vacuum will be filled instantly by speculation, and their corporate media VPs should have known that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in