Pushing that old FX-6300 beast - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Pushing that old FX-6300 beast

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:30 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 103 (Unique: 81)
An easy way to find out is to simply have an available molex connector (1x4pin round pin) and use a multimeter.

Given that places like bestbuy offer corsair and evga power supplies for reasonable prices, it may be worth trying a new unit.

I have usually seen the FX chips to severely misbehave if the power was truly crap, so just use a multimeter to verify what hwINFO is showing first. It might simply be a software bug, and you might actually be A-okay!-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
An easy way to find out is to simply have an available molex connector (1x4pin round pin) and use a multimeter.

Given that places like bestbuy offer corsair and evga power supplies for reasonable prices, it may be worth trying a new unit.

I have usually seen the FX chips to severely misbehave if the power was truly crap, so just use a multimeter to verify what hwINFO is showing first. It might simply be a software bug, and you might actually be A-okay!-
Here are the PICS you requested. My board is a GB 970A-UD3P rev.2. Latest BIOS is I am not mistaken. I will also try to look into the multimeter suggestion you gave me. My current PSU is a CM G750M.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 103 (Unique: 81)
Im gonna spit some stuff out here. I have your BIOS images showing on my second screen. Im gonna go through thenm in order as they appear in your photo album

1st few screens
-I see your "VBAT" shows as under 3.2 volts, this is your little 2062 batteyr on your motherboard (or 2016). Grab a new one. This will eventually lead to you playing the game of random shutdowns, random instability, and random BIOS resets.

1st bios screen
-HPC mode - ENABLE

3rd bios screen
-NB core - seems gigabyte has either forgotten about the memory controller (usually cpu-nb) or this is it, and gigabyte forgot the actual northbridge chipset. Given that it mentions VID, I am going to assume this is actually the IMC voltage. This is safe to 1.35-1.4 on good cooling, so if you are experiencing memory errors during checking, or under hard processor use with ram use, bump this to 1.3 to test.

-CPU Vcore - increase this to 1.4
-vcore loadline calibration - reduce this to the middle setting, generlaly "high". extreme creates a LOT of votlage spiking, and can cause a LOT of excess heat.

Ultimately, for best processsor lifespan, and to get the vcore where it NEEDS it, rather than pummeling it with voltage, it is better to have a higher idle voltage that DROPS under load. I only use as much LLC as needed to keep the distance from idle to laod under 0.25 volts different, thereabouts.

Going from 1.3 idling to 1.5, for example, means your processor that might only need 1.4, gets very stable with load, but excessive voltage, and probably will lock up under very light workloads, or even while booting to desktop.

TRIAL AND ERROR is a long job, but very worth while. You might pull your hair out here and there, but it will be worth it in the end.

HOMEWORK for you: Look up your power supply, and see what the general thought is. It is up to you whether its owrth grabbing a new power supply to fix those voltages. Heck, you said you were gonna try the multimeter, so you might still be good to go.

I am getting longwinded, just spit balling a lto here, and hoping something arrises from the fog lol..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
I just built a PC with used fx6300 and 1050ti. I was originally planning to go with Ryzen 3 but in the end i got a good deal on fx and mobo. If I had gone with ryzen it would have cost me $600 while i got this one done in less than $200. It is overclocked to 3.9, although i could go higher, my case isn't very good so i don't want to cause overheating.

Gaming PC
(15 items)
CPU
Fx6300
Motherboard
Asus M5A78-LM
GPU
Inno3D GTX 1050Ti
RAM
DDR3 Ram 6GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
LG
Power Supply
Antec BP450PS
Cooling
Stock Intel
Case
iBall Axton
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Monitor
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900
Keyboard
Intex Corona Spillproof
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 300 Gaming mice
Mouse
None
Audio
Philips SHP2000
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
fx-6300 , Overclock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in