First time AMD owner Ryzen 2600 - Ram Question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

First time AMD owner Ryzen 2600 - Ram Question

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 50)
First time AMD owner Ryzen 2600 - Ram Question

Hello Ladies and Gent,

Let me just say the Ryzen chip is mind blowing! What's even better I got mobo, rams, and Ryzen 5 2600 for $195 brand new. I just wanna share this excitement with everyone here.

Okay onto the big question... I got the G-Skill Ripjaw V to run at 3200mhz FAST PRESET. Should I push it to 3400mhz Fast Preset and how much performance improvement will be gain?

MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600
G Skill Ripjaw F4 3200C16D-16GVKB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3200 Fast Preset.png
Views:	43
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	242320  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
$200 PC? Wow, that's a great deal.
Overclocking is totally up to you.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 AM

It looks like Godddd from them...not lieing….but you can't convince anyone....You need to upgrade and well beyond Bulldozer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.32.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	242322  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So here's the thing... Last week I went to MicroCenter and purchased the ASUS Prime B450 Plus, Ryzen 5 2600, and 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX. For the love of god I cannot change the sub timing on that ram. Every time it failed, I had to swap ram from A2/B2 to A1/B1 to load into bios. The worst part about this experience is when ram is in A1/B1 DOHC will not recognized the frequency and timing until I switch it back to A2/B2. So I actually spent several hours tinkering with the ram timing. I don't know if it's the Asus mobo or the Corsair (Micron D-die) that's causing this problem.

Yesterday, I checked MicroCenter website and they had the MSI B450 Tomahawk in stock. I called to reserve it and ask them to exchange the Corsair for a G- Skill. Got home and installed the mobo, rams, and CPU. Checked ram info on Thaiphoon and ran DRam Cal for Ryzen. Changed the sub timing and it instantly load into Windows without any problem.

Tested AC Odyssey and notice min/avg FPS increase on AC Odyssey benchmark. This was on stock CPU speed. I was able to achieved that same performance with Asus mobo and Corsair when ram was at 3400mhz (DOHC profile) and CPU @ 4.2 Ghz. I wanna keep tinkering with it but if something goes wrong i just don't want to spend several more hours troubleshooting it unless 3400mhz fast preset is worth the time and performance.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by DaRookie View Post
So here's the thing... Last week I went to MicroCenter and purchased the ASUS Prime B450 Plus, Ryzen 5 2600, and 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX. For the love of god I cannot change the sub timing on that ram. Every time it failed, I had to swap ram from A2/B2 to A1/B1 to load into bios. The worst part about this experience is when ram is in A1/B1 DOHC will not recognized the frequency and timing until I switch it back to A2/B2. So I actually spent several hours tinkering with the ram timing. I don't know if it's the Asus mobo or the Corsair (Micron D-die) that's causing this problem.

Yesterday, I checked MicroCenter website and they had the MSI B450 Tomahawk in stock. I called to reserve it and ask them to exchange the Corsair for a G- Skill. Got home and installed the mobo, rams, and CPU. Checked ram info on Thaiphoon and ran DRam Cal for Ryzen. Changed the sub timing and it instantly load into Windows without any problem.

Tested AC Odyssey and notice min/avg FPS increase on AC Odyssey benchmark. This was on stock CPU speed. I was able to achieved that same performance with Asus mobo and Corsair when ram was at 3400mhz (DOHC profile) and CPU @ 4.2 Ghz. I wanna keep tinkering with it but if something goes wrong i just don't want to spend several more hours troubleshooting it unless 3400mhz fast preset is worth the time and performance.
It's the same thing with Hynix conundrum....I can boot in 3466 sometimes run for awhile and everything but it will eventually BSOD. Why I want another kit...some B-die Ripjaws kits on ebay for a good price...I know it could run 3466 at least. But I mean not a real big concern..3200 is still ok.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Overclocker & Enthusiast

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)

Can almost guarantee it's the board, had the same issue on the Asus X370 pro. Crosshair X470 Hero doesn't have this, I even had an issue where CMOS doesn't reset properly until you reflash a new bios when this happens.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X570 ACE
GPU
2080Ti FE (Buildzoid edition + waterblock)
RAM
G.skill Trident Royal 4800MHz CL18 (F4-4800C18D-16GTRS)
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
Leadex Superflower 1000W platinum
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Cooling
240mm + 240mm + 140mm MLC phoenix rads with pumps integrated into both.
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
Monitor
ASUS PG278QR
Monitor
ASUS MG28U
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair Schimitar
Other
Samsung 970 pro 1TB
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ComansoRowlett I think you're absolutely right. I'm glad I exchanged board.

Update on the overclocking. Using AC Odyssey benchmark.

3200 mhz DOHC/XMP profile with stock setting = 52 fps

3200 mhz fast preset |CPU stock setting = 55

3200 mhz fast preset | CPU 3.9ghz = 57

3400 mhz fast preset | CPU stock settings = 57

I think I'll hit 60 FPS if I overclocked to 3.9/4.0 with 3400 fast preset. Anyways tested some other games and I gain about 10-15 fps. So definitely worth overclocking.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 AM
Overclocker & Enthusiast

ComansoRowlett I think you're absolutely right. I'm glad I exchanged board.

Update on the overclocking. Using AC Odyssey benchmark.

3200 mhz DOHC/XMP profile with stock setting = 52 fps

3200 mhz fast preset |CPU stock setting = 55

3200 mhz fast preset | CPU 3.9ghz = 57

3400 mhz fast preset | CPU stock settings = 57

I think I'll hit 60 FPS if I overclocked to 3.9/4.0 with 3400 fast preset. Anyways tested some other games and I gain about 10-15 fps. So definitely worth overclocking.
Nice results, just be wary when you bump up your CPU clock. Weirdly enough now your RAM is clocked higher you may find your CPU needs more voltage to be stable at the same 3.9GHz, etc because it's working harder. You probably knew this but figured I should mention just incase

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X570 ACE
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Cooling
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
Monitor
ASUS PG278QR
Monitor
ASUS MG28U
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair Schimitar
Other
Samsung 970 pro 1TB
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I actually didn't know. I'm new to AMD and this is my second time overclocking CPU's and first time overclocking memory/sub timing. Thank you for the notice.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 AM
Overclocker & Enthusiast

I actually didn't know. I'm new to AMD and this is my second time overclocking CPU's and first time overclocking memory/sub timing. Thank you for the notice.
It happens with all platforms really, if you are ever feeling brave and want to clock higher than 3400MHz this piece of software is great for helping get every ounce of performance https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/ . You're likely to be limited by the memory controller more than anything, and will likely top out around 3400-3700MHz. If you've got Samsung B-die I can guarantee you can bump 1.5v into the DIMMs 24/7 and should be just fine, and will give a decent improvement for clockspeed/timings, any lower than CL14 isn't really do-able unless you're below 3200MHz due to IMC limitations I've found. SOC can go all the way to 1.2v, but usually there is a sweet spot voltage rather just increasing it. Most will have that sweet spot between 0.95-1.15v you'll have to experiment, but keep to 1.1v which most boards set automatically with XMP enabled if you can't be bothered.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X570 ACE
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Cooling
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
Monitor
ASUS PG278QR
Monitor
ASUS MG28U
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair Schimitar
Other
Samsung 970 pro 1TB
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ComansoRowlett; 12-30-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in