2700x Performance in PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) only - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2700x Performance in PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) only

post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So FWIW, according to this thread, the default PPT is 140w. However, mine is getting ~183. Not sure if that is expected, but that is what I am getting.

Starting to think that I have found a bug in MSI's board and/or I got something funny going on with my chip.

Memory: HX433C16PB3K4/64 @ 3000 14-16-14-17-28 1.3v / CPU: 2700x Ryzen @ 4.275 1.375v & 1.025 vSoC / Motherboard: msi x470 Gaming Pro / Power Supply: 650w Snow Silent / HDs: 250gb Samsung 970, 500gb Samsung 970, 4x 500gb 850 Samsung EVO (1tb mirror RAID).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Alright, I took the dive and went with removing two sticks, leaving only two in there, for a 2x16 (32GB) combo.

I was able to use 1.35 vCore, but for only two Cinebench executions, and only with LLC Mode 1.

Bumping up to 1.37 w/ LLC1 did better. I was able to get four full executions with the fifth one locking on 73.3.

So, using only two sticks seems to do better indeed, but still, it locks on lower vCore, which does not sound in line with others here. Also, I loaded from scratch with Optimized Defaults with nothing changed except vCore and Enable PBO (didn't touch memory or SoC).

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Memory: HX433C16PB3K4/64 @ 3000 14-16-14-17-28 1.3v / CPU: 2700x Ryzen @ 4.275 1.375v & 1.025 vSoC / Motherboard: msi x470 Gaming Pro / Power Supply: 650w Snow Silent / HDs: 250gb Samsung 970, 500gb Samsung 970, 4x 500gb 850 Samsung EVO (1tb mirror RAID).
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Mike-EEE View Post
Alright, I took the dive and went with removing two sticks, leaving only two in there, for a 2x16 (32GB) combo.

I was able to use 1.35 vCore, but for only two Cinebench executions, and only with LLC Mode 1.

Bumping up to 1.37 w/ LLC1 did better. I was able to get four full executions with the fifth one locking on 73.3.

So, using only two sticks seems to do better indeed, but still, it locks on lower vCore, which does not sound in line with others here. Also, I loaded from scratch with Optimized Defaults with nothing changed except vCore and Enable PBO (didn't touch memory or SoC).

I've got a bad feeling about this.
Why would you want 64gb of ram? Even 32gb is overkill for most use cases. You could have easly went with 16 (or 32 if u really wanted) and spend the extra money on a better motherboard like taichi or c7h.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Saiger0 View Post
Why would you want 64gb of ram? Even 32gb is overkill for most use cases. You could have easly went with 16 (or 32 if u really wanted) and spend the extra money on a better motherboard like taichi or c7h.
Hah! I actually did start with 32, but quickly ran into paging problems with both video editing and my Hyper-V server (primary purpose). I have 8 instances that need that memory.

post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hah! I actually did start with 32, but quickly ran into paging problems with both video editing and my Hyper-V server (primary purpose). I have 8 instances that need that memory.
yea makes sense .
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, starting over from defaults is a good idea. Thank you for your feedback, @constructorx . It is very much appreciated. YOU ARE THE OASIS IN MY DESERT OF GRIEF!!!

Part of the problem has been the motherboard, which is actually great except for the fact that I have spent six full weeks trying to ensure I get my money's worth. Of course, having spend six weeks on anything you sort of lose that argument, doh.

I have indeed tried 1.35 and lower. At that level, Windows will not boot, and if it does, a blue screen follows closely after. 1.36 is the best I can do, and at that point, Cinebench no doubt will freeze and HCI MemTest reports memory errors. The same for 1.375 but longer Cinebench executions and less memory errors (but still... memory errors).

It's gotten so bad that I thought it was the memory, even though I checked it with MemTest when I first got it and it turned out OK at 2400, its default speed.

I went ahead and tried 2900 a few days ago and it was OK there, using the XMP Profile 1 setting.

From there, I can bump it up to 3000 and 3066 no problem. This was the same experience I had with another chipset I was looking at (you can see both of them in my sig -- take advantage of my laziness LOL... I ended up with the Hyper-X set).

However, going beyond that is the source of all my ails. I have a 3300 rated chipset but the best I can do is 3133, and even then it's memory errors after testing for a few hours -- insanity!

And so yeah... that four-chip set is what is taking me for a massive ride of failure here. I have been tempted to simply remove 2 chips out of my motherboard to see how fast I can get to 3200 w/o errors, but I am sure I can do it. In fact, I was able to get 3200 to POST no problem w/ only 2 chips in. With 4 in, I cannot get it to post unless I put the vDRAM to 1.45 (maxed out, essentially).
I think your best option is to use a static overclock instead of pbo. In my experience its far more stable since I also run into roors and bluescreens when going with e.g. 1.35V and pbo. Dont rely too much constructorxs settings as he also has a golden chip with above average oc capabilities. I would simply run with like 4.25ghz at 1.35V instead.
Regarding memory your motherboard mighjt be the limiting factor.
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

I think your best option is to use a static overclock instead of pbo. In my experience its far more stable since I also run into roors and bluescreens when going with e.g. 1.35V and pbo. Dont rely too much constructorxs settings as he also has a golden chip with above average oc capabilities. I would simply run with like 4.25ghz at 1.35V instead.
Regarding memory your motherboard mighjt be the limiting factor.
Oh man... that's a good idea actually. I was actually doing that before I got into PBO, which is why I am in the mess I am in now, LOL. I was around 4.3, but the chip was hitting 90 degrees. That's actually how I found out about that Cinebench bug... I was trying to find the "top" heat point, but the temperature kept climbing and climbing until it hit in the 90s and then it would shut off.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that! I hope that didn't hurt the chip, that's my greatest fear around this.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, as much as I enjoy this motherboard, I might actually be open to getting a good one. Looks like you've suggested a couple already. I will look into those (and any others that you might recommend).

post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Oh man... that's a good idea actually. I was actually doing that before I got into PBO, which is why I am in the mess I am in now, LOL. I was around 4.3, but the chip was hitting 90 degrees. That's actually how I found out about that Cinebench bug... I was trying to find the "top" heat point, but the temperature kept climbing and climbing until it hit in the 90s and then it would shut off.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that! I hope that didn't hurt the chip, that's my greatest fear around this.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, as much as I enjoy this motherboard, I might actually be open to getting a good one. Looks like you've suggested a couple already. I will look into those (and any others that you might recommend).
As long as your voltages are in safe levels you are completly fine ( and as long your not hitting 95+ all the time). You can check out this imformal thread about voltages https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin...ltages_tested/

I also did alot of testing with pbo in previous weeks after msi unlocked off set voltages. FOr me there was very little difference between those two in terms of performace and power consumption. I settled with static oc again since I have more control about my voltages that way.

Regarding motherborads the msi x470 gaming m7 is the best in terms of memory overclocking. Maybe that would change your ram situation. But im not sure and would rather ask some people who know way more about memory than I do.

Edit: also check out this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin...hynix_adie_on/ you also have hynix a die kits right?

Last edited by Saiger0; 02-06-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

As long as your voltages are in safe levels you are completly fine ( and as long your not hitting 95+ all the time). You can check out this imformal thread about voltages https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin...ltages_tested/

I also did alot of testing with pbo in previous weeks after msi unlocked off set voltages. FOr me there was very little difference between those two in terms of performace and power consumption. I settled with static oc again since I have more control about my voltages that way.

Regarding motherborads the msi x470 gaming m7 is the best in terms of memory overclocking. Maybe that would change your ram situation. But im not sure and would rather ask some people who know way more about memory than I do.

Edit: also check out this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin...hynix_adie_on/ you also have hynix a die kits right?
Awesome... thank you for the resources. I went ahead and plugged in 4.3 and was able to get a 1950 out of Cinebench first try. However, it does lock up on subsequent attempts. My vCore is @ 1.4.

But blast I am still on 2 sticks and I know I am in a world of pain for the 4 sticks once I plug in the other two sitting on my desk.

As for the type of RAM, here is what I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNFCX45/

From what I understand using typhoon they are CJR. At least, there was a CJR in the name. I am not exactly sure what makes them A-die, if that is the case.

The reason I stuck with this kit is that it is on the Gaming Pro's QVL. I am hoping that is the case for the AC.

post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Awesome... thank you for the resources. I went ahead and plugged in 4.3 and was able to get a 1950 out of Cinebench first try. However, it does lock up on subsequent attempts. My vCore is @ 1.4.

But blast I am still on 2 sticks and I know I am in a world of pain for the 4 sticks once I plug in the other two sitting on my desk.

As for the type of RAM, here is what I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNFCX45/

From what I understand using typhoon they are CJR. At least, there was a CJR in the name. I am not exactly sure what makes them A-die, if that is the case.

The reason I stuck with this kit is that it is on the Gaming Pro's QVL. I am hoping that is the case for the AC.
I think I confused micron with hynix naming my bad. Nontheless increasing tRTP might help you out too.

1.4 Vcore is definelty too high for 24/7 stay at 1.38 if you want to avoid degrading anytime soon. And make sure you really are stable with prime95

Tags
2700x , Overclock , ryzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in