Restart issues with a Ryzen 5 1600 build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Restart issues with a Ryzen 5 1600 build

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Restart issues with a Ryzen 5 1600 build

Hey folks, hopefully I'm putting this in the right place, or at least STARTING in the right place. I am having very strange stability issues with a PC build, and at this point, the only components I've kept the same while troubleshooting are the Ryzen 5 1600 and the RAM (soon to be changed), so I'm putting it here.

Last year I built a Ryzen PC that has been seeing random restarts under all circumstances (gaming, on startup, at idle, on the desktop, on login, at any point after OS load) since November after running perfectly stable for at least 6 months. The original config follows:
ASRock AB350 Gaming K4
Ryzen 5 1600 (stock cooling)
16GB (2x8) DDR4-2666 Crucial Ballistix Tactical (On the AsRock QVL)
XFX Radeon RX480 GTR 8GB
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750 PSU
500GB WD Blue SSD for Boot, various storage HDDs

Initially, there were no entries in the event log for these restarts, just the power-kernel notifications, and I discovered that the RAM was running at 2400 instead of 2666 following the ASRock 5.10 BIOS update (released 10/18/18). Ran Memtest for 2 hours after adjusting the timings, everything was fine. That seemed to make things more stable for a day, but then the restarts came back with one of two bugcheck errors: Either the Page Fault In NonPaged Area (rare, maybe 2 times), and the far more common Video TDR failure, specifically the atikmpag.sys driver. Uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, same problem. So I did a clean Windows install from a USB stick. The restart happened DURING THE INSTALL SETUP.

So I replaced the PSU, and went to an old Xion 700. The install continued apace and finished normally. Things again were fine for a few hours, then the restarts happened again with no event log entries. So, my guess was either the GPU or the mobo, and admittedly I didn't fully trust the ASRock from the start. So I bought an ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F, and an aftermarket Cooler Master just for fun. Did the new install, clean Windows setup ran just fine, and the restarts happened AGAIN a few hours in, again with no event log entries. So, I swapped out the GPU for a RX 560, and the PC ran perfectly for four days on both the Xion 700 and the Seasonic 750.

Thinking I had solved it, I bought a new GPU, the MSI RX580 Armor 8GB. Got the part last night, put it in, and the PC wouldn't boot at all with the new card. Not even a fan spin. So, I switched back to the Xion 700 PSU, and the PC booted only to have the no event log restarts happen again within minutes under load. Last night I ran Memtest on sequential, all tests for 13 hours, and no faults appeared. I currently have it running all tests round-robin at home right now. I have NO IDEA WHAT COULD BE WRONG, and its driving me insane, because I WORK in IT. I should be able to figure this out, but I can't. HELP! Also, I have ordered a new 8pin to GPU cable for the Seasonic PSU, to test if the cable is bad, and will be replacing the wall cable tonight. Currently my PC's configuration is as follows, which will boot but is not stable:
Ryzen 5 1600 (Cooler Master MA410P/AS5)
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
16GB (2x8) DDR4-2666 Crucial Ballistix Tactical (Not on ASUS QVL)
MSI Radeon RX580 Armor 8GB
Xion 700W PSU
500GB WD Blue SSD

I'm really out to sea here, so help a guy out, what did I miss? What step didn't I take while I was troubleshooting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 868 (Unique: 634)
Have you tried running the system outside the case?

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Have you tried running the system outside the case?
It's a good idea IMO.
I'd tear it all down and see what happens.
If that's no good you can try pulling a stick of ram then try the other if that one fails.

If it's not the ram and you've tried different GPUs, PSUs and a motherboard I'd be suspicious of the CPU. Faulty CPUs aren't common but it's possible.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
did you install windows 10? from a different iso file?

have you tried the latest updated iso? maybe the iso you're using is corrupted somehow

stress test the ram using the windows install usb

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 868 (Unique: 634)
If it is the cpu this might help . . .

http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/

Your cpu might have Segfault(not related to the issue), too, if within week 25 2017.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
YES, finally some good suggestions lol. Thanks you all. I'll check killryzen (the one time I didn't keep the CPU box), and try running it outside the case tonight. It could be something random like the case power cable having a short. Never thought of that.

I did use two different isos for my two Windows installs, both different 1803 USB sticks created off different clean Windows installs.

Quote:
stress test the ram using the windows install usb
I did run Memtest from yet another different stick (obviously), but is there a way to access the command line and test during Windows setup? This is a new one to me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
During the Windows install, you hit F10 to access the Command Prompt - You may also have the option to do a memtest from the installer

Hydra
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryze 5 1600
Motherboard
AsRock B450M Pro
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060
RAM
Team Elite
Hard Drive
NVME
Hard Drive
M2 Sata
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
Toshiba
Power Supply
EVGA B3
Operating System
Win7-64 Ultimate
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in