Phenom II 955 with different ram kits - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Phenom II 955 with different ram kits

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Phenom II 955 with different ram kits

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum.
I would like to ask you guys for some help. I will give you a brief introduction of what is happening, but if you do not care about the details, and wanna jump straight to the technical part, just ignore the red text.

It is not worth for me to buy the hardware for an entire PC right now, it is possible that I will have to move and won't be able to take the tower with me, etc. I just wanted to get a few games running in the meanwhile, VGA was the only upgrade needed (more related to DX than to performance). Turns out an RX 580 almost felt into my lap, was able to buy it for the same price of a GTX 1050 TI.
Thing is, all I had to work with were my two old PCs, both of them have a Phenom II X4 955 RB-C2. One of them has 4 GB of OCZ Platinum (2x2GB, 7-7-7-16/1600/1.65 V- OCZ3P16002G), the other 4 GB of Corsair XMS 3 (2x2GB, 9-9-9-24/1600/1.65-CMX4GX3M2A1600C7).
So I disabled one of them and installed both kits in the one I am using right now.
One of them had an Asus M4A79T Deluxe, the other one an M4A87TD/USB3 - The M4A79T Deluxe is far better for overclocking... but I chose the M4A87TD/USB3 because it has SATA 3 (for my SSD) and USB 3.

So, wrapping up, that is my config right now:

Phenom II x4 955 RB-C2
Asus M4A87TD/USB3
8 GB DDR3 (4 GB of OCZ Platinum (2x2GB, 7-7-7-16/1600/1.65 V- OCZ3P16002G) + 4 GB of Corsair XMS 3 (2x2GB, 9-9-9-24/1600/1.65-CMX4GX3M2A1600C7))
RX 580
Corsair 550VX
Storage is a Kingston A400 480GB + 4 mechanical drives

It is quite obvious that there is a HUGE CPU bottleneck right there. I have been trying to overclock the thing but it is BSOD all the way... I suspect it is because of the different ram kits. One of those Phenoms used to rum at 3.8 in the past, but I am unable to reach 3.6 now.

Are there any tips and tricks for dealing with that? I have tried setting the timings according to the slowest one (9-9-9-24), but didn't work.

Thank you very much guys, here are some photos of the BIOS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in