Requesting OC Guide for RAM and R3 2200G - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Requesting OC Guide for RAM and R3 2200G

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Requesting OC Guide for RAM and R3 2200G

I want a detailed and updated guide on overclocking RAM, CPU and iGPU if anyone can provide me one. I want it to be as detailed as possible since I don't want to mess things up and also some troubleshooting if some errors arise. This is also my first time so if you could give me tips please do so.

My parts are the ff:

R3 2200G

MSI B450M Pro-VDH

Ripjaws V 3200MHZ 8gb dual (4x2)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.4.1

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...-dram-am4.html

good luck ...
BTW what is the memory code ? (lets hope it b-die and not hynix)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lubmar View Post
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™️ 1.4.1

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...-dram-am4.html

good luck ...

BTW what is the memory code ? (lets hope it b-die and not hynix)
It's hynix sadly and a-xmp profiles doesn't work for me. How do I oc it to atleast reach the quoted 3200mhz speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 AM
Linux Lobbyist

So the thing that's gonna make the biggest difference is Overclocking the GPU followed by CPU/RAM(with ram being easy to OC a little bit).

What's the exact ram your using(either link from a online store which is the same the ram you got, or the code of the ram on the box/ram itself, or the exact name on box the ram came in). Or at least what is the default voltage for it and the base timings for 3200Mhz, can't tell you what do with ram without that.

Also what cpu cooler are you using, that's also very important. You need to be using at least a Gammaxx 200t or similar, or preferably better than that.

Getting to 3200MHz with a-xmp/d.o.c.p profile timings might be tough, and the calculator is not that easy to do properly if you don't have experience, or if you haven't researched extensively. However 3000Mhz at the profile timings or slightly tighter/better timings, and 3200Mhz at the profile timings or slightly worse is quite easy and will probably work with a voltage bump, and manually entering first 5 memory timings.

I actually wrote a whole guide assuming you have 16-18-18-18-38 memory timings, considering stock voltage itself not actually making that much difference other than if that kit is rated for those speeds @ 1.2v there's a bigger chance it's worker with less hassle.
If you memory has 18-18-18-18-38 instead just skip the testing parts with tCL 16 and just do 18 straight.

Start of OC guide

Anything that i couldn't remember or was unsure off/wanted to double check, where i pulled the pics from are this anandtech article, this youtube video clip, and i pulled 2 pics from this techspot article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12542...uide-results/2

https://www.techspot.com/article/157...ryzen-3-2200g/

So here goes the 1500 words (counting this post) guide

Software download links and Target/MAX CPU TEMP

HWinfo64 installer or portable version and install it to monitor temperatures and voltages.
https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

Asus Realbench
http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.56.zip

Kahru Software ramtest 10euros lifetime licence very much worth it.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...ty-thread.html

What you're looking for is CPU temp under 80 degrees Celsius, and preferably 70-75

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Part I: Monitoring and stability testing in windows

so with Hwinfo64 you want to go into sensor status, and keep an eye out for the CPU/VRM temperature, and to check voltages. The main location you want to look at is in this picture below, find the tab which looks like this and has 2200g name instead of blue overwritten part. and check and keep checking the highlighted voltages and the temperature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWinfo64 where to look - Copy.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	253304

On this second picture below, where the motherboard name is your motherboard name, keep an eye out on the marked parts those are vrm temperatures, and you can cross-reference the CPU temperatures if you want.

Name:	HWinfo64 where to look 2 - Copy.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	253306

It is gonna be a bit different to your motherboard and cpu, so i would like to see your screenshots/snips of HWinfo64.
You can use Snipping Tool in windows 10(if it's still there), or google a free snipping too, or just do a screenshot with a screenshot button and then open paint ctrl+v or right mouse button>paste and crop, or just save and crop with the Windows 10 Photos application instead.

Also double check your RAM timings settings in the second part of my guide in HWinfo64.

Now for Realbench, this is how you test stability once you do load into windows with some of the bios settings instead of your PC restarting and having an error.

In the picture below click Stress Test which is already selected, select Up to 8GB RAM, your max ram ammount, and run the 15min test for a 5-10min to check for general stability, and then for 1hour if you don't get an error or if your PC doesn't crash/restart during the 5-10min testing.

Name:  Realbench what to click - Copy.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  25.9 KB

You're gonna need do this for both the GPU/RAM and eventually CPU testing, and it's not right way to test RAM overclock, but with the small ammount of changes, and how close to profile you'll be sticking, i personally don't find any need for proper memory testing, just test in your games and as your normal usage if you pass 1hour Realbench.
If you want to be sure your RAM OC settings are completely stable, and you don't mind paying 10 euros, download the awesome ramtest from kahrusoftware, and test your ram, here's the link to the thread here on these forums:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...ty-thread.html

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-13-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Part II: GPU overclocking

check the anandtech link above for general to get an idea of how it looks in the bios then check my picture below

Name:	gpu in bios - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	253310

0.Reset bios to default/factory settings

1. Set CPU NB/SoC voltage to 1.2v (Do not set this any higher, if u end up with kinda low GPU frequency you can even set this lower to 1.17 or 1.15 after you've finished testing everything at 1.2v)
Don't change GFX core voltage and the SoC above are connected only changing one is enough

2. Set the GFX Clock Frequency to 1500MHz Save and Exit and see if load into windows normally.

3. If the PC restarts and/or if you get an error, go back change to 1480Mhz for instance, try again and so on like this:
1500Mhz>1480Mhz>1450Mhz>1430Mhz>1400Mhz>1380Mhz>13 50Mhz
untill you hopefully boot into Windows with a high number

4. Once you boot with the highest GPU speed you can with the 1.2v startup Hwinfo64 to monitor cpu/vrm temperatures and soc voltage, and test with realbench like i mentioned above.

Like in the picture in the previous click Stress Test which is already selected, select Up to 8GB RAM, your max ram ammount, and run the 15min test for a 5-10min to check for general stability, and then for 1hour if you don't get an error or if your PC doesn't crash/restart during the 5-10min testing.

5. Once that's done write down or remember the speed that worked and proceed to RAM Overclocking below.

PART III: RAM overclocking settings

0. Reset bios to default/factory settings(even if perfectly stable with the GPU overclock from above)
The only connecting point should be SoC voltage and partially RAM, just doing GPU overclock from above once you finish the RAM below should work np.
Also use HWinfo64 to check if the RAM Timings and speed are correct everytime you do get into windows. Check the picture below.

Name:	HWinfo64 how ram looks - Copy.JPG
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	253312

Also at this point check the pictures on the link below (same one from GPU part) to get the general feel of what where is in the bios, and then come back here and check my pictures below for the exact stuff.
For instance in the picture right below here in the yellow hightlighted areas you see that you need to have the OC Explore Mode set to Expert to actually see the settings and then there is location where you change the profile and where you change the DRAM frequency and the memory timings (they are under Advanced DRAM Configuration).
The voltages are right below the settings in this picture and you can see them in the second picture below.

Name:	how it looks in bios 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	253314

Name:	how it looks in bios 2 voltages - Copy.JPG
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	253316

CPU NB/SoC Voltage is the one that goes to 1.2v (step 1. below). And DRAM as well on the bottom

1. Set the CPU NB/SoC voltage to 1.2v (this is the only value that stays the same the whole time, and again do not set this any higher).

Name:  SoC voltage - Copy.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  10.6 KB

2. Set the DRAM Voltage to 1.36 and set the default 3200MHz a-xmp ram profile and save and exit and see if you can get into windows.

Name:  A-xmp docp profile - Copy.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  DRAM voltage - Copy.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  10.3 KB

3. If it doesn't work try setting 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385 for DRAM Voltage and Save and Exit and see if you boot in windows, and if it doesn't work and your PC shuts down or resets and your get bios error. Enter the same SoC voltage from step 1 and go up until 1.385 DRAM voltage, basically this:

3200MHz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385

4. If it still doesnt work go back to having 1.36v and when you set the profile, lower the DRAM frequency to 3000Mhz, and repeat the process again.

3000MHz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385

Name:  DRAM Frequency - Copy.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  11.8 KB

5. If you still can't get into bios, go back to having 1.36v and when you set the profile, lower the DRAM frequency to 2933Mhz, and repeat the same process again.
2933MHz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385

6. If you still can't get into bios even with 2933Mhz at 1.385v you will need to additionally set the timings manually while repeating/doing all of the above again.

RAM OC continued - Advanced RAM timing settings

7. Put the SoC voltage to 1.2v and the RAM voltage to 1.36v again, select the 3200Mhz a-xmp/d.o.c.p profile, and go to Advanced DRAM Configuration menu option in overclocking, and manually input tCL to 16, tRCDRD to 18, tRCDWR to 18, tRP to 18 and tRAS to 38. picture of the memory timings options in bios below:

Name:	memory timings - Copy.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	253326

Now to save yourself some time at this point go ahead and make profile and save the above changes into the profile and name it. pic below

Name:	OC profiles - Copy.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	253328

Now if pc doesn't boot, or bios settings reset, when you get into the bios again you don't have to set everything above manually again, just load the profile and then the only things you need to change will be like before setting the exact speed to 3200Mhz and trying to boot with the lowest voltage and then if you can't go through with all the voltage steps from 1.36v>1.385v, and then lower to 3000Mhz and repeat, and to 2933Mhz and again repeat try to get into bios with the closest voltage to 1.36v that you can.

Example of settings you're not changing everytime because they're saved into the profile:

SoC voltage - 1.2v
a-xmp/d.o.c.p profile set to 3200MHz default value
tCL-16, tRCDRD-18, tRCDWR-18, tRP-18, tRAS-38

Example of things your changing after loading profile:

3000Mhz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385
2933Mhz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385

8. If it still doesn't work, then load up the profile, up the first memory timing tCL to 18, save into the profile,and to repeat everything from step 6 again with.

In profile and not being changed:
tCL-18, tRCDRD-18, tRCDWR-18, tRP-18, tRAS-38

Not in profile and manually being changed:

3000Mhz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385
2933Mhz @ 1.365>1.37>1.375>1.38>1.385

9. You should have success at this point, almost 100% chance that you will hit at least the worst combination of these settings.

10. proceed to test in windows:

Like in the picture in the post above and the same way you did for GPU testing click Stress Test which is already selected, select Up to 8GB RAM, your max ram ammount, and run the 15min test for a 5-10min to check for general stability, and then for 1hour if you don't get an error or if your PC doesn't crash/restart during the 5-10min testing.

Again like i mentioned above if you want to be sure your RAM OC is completely stable you will need kahrusoftware ramtest https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1569364-official-intel-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html, or the infinitely slower HCI Design memtest.

So this is the detailed guide, I personally like to try my luck before doing the proper way and just do
SoC voltage - 1.2v
RAM voltage - 1.365-1.37v
load up a-xmp d.o.c.p, set speed to 3000MHz/2933Mhz alternatively
enter timings tCL-18, tRCDRD-18, tRCDWR-18, tRP-18, tRAS-36/38

and hope for the best

if it works i repeat and just do tCL-18, tRCDRD-18, tRCDWR-18, tRP-18, tRAS-36

Now it probably won't work, but you can try it as well first if you want

After this i usually like to try to go down to 16-16-16-16-36 even if it means lower frequency, 3000MHz/2933Mhz, and i do like trying to fit all the settings for 1.375V DRAM voltage or lower. But if generally 1.4v or less is almost 100% safe and you shouldn't see any degradation unless you have hot pocket/vortex over and around you RAM, or really bad airflow and high temps inside.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-13-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 37)
I have DDR4 3200 CL16 and stock settings only work w/ tons of voltage. To enable XMP2 i need 1.44v. Anything less is a no go ! System crash.

My FX system has 1.5v DDR3 @ 1600 / 4 sticks. Need 1.65v to run stable.

Good Luck! Check for BIOS updates.

R5 2600 - MSI X470 Gaming Pro - nVIDIA GTX1060 6GB O.C - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200 - Cooler Master Storm Scout - Western Digital Green 240GB M.2 - Kyngston A400 480GB - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo - SamSung 32in LED - eVGA 750W - Razer Abyssus V2 - Logitech G27
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by jclafi View Post
I have DDR4 3200 CL16 and stock settings only work w/ tons of voltage. To enable XMP2 i need 1.44v. Anything less is a no go ! System crash.
Your luck, eh , But thx for reminding if nothing works above, it's highly possible that the same testing would work just without setting A-XMP/DOCP and just doing everything else while keeping profile at auto.

Otherwise, and @lubmar i don't recommend you go any further than just setting the VTT_DDR at half the VRAM voltage to check just in case, because the next steps require putting procODT into the testing rotation, and possibly tRC manually input in the testing rotation as well and boot Voltage as well if your motherboard has the option. If it's still not working at this point, you just gotta go with the ryzen dram calculator (which you'd probably want to use anyway at this point to narrow down proc ODT values). It's usually boot voltage that's the problem, or just the boards needs manually inputted VTT_DDR and one of the 2 optimal values for what is almost certainly Hynix MFR that's causing the problem, like it's probably the problem with your memory @jclafi . I do also vaguely remember @1usmus and/or @The Stilt (66% chance it being Stilt xD) mentioning that changing the CLDO_VDDP to one of the alternative voltages in your ryzen calc numbers might fix the instant system crash, by doing something with/about the memory hole (y that's the extent of my memory of that pun intended xD)

@jclafi considering the memory you have in your sig I'm pretty sure that at a reasonable voltage you'd max out 16CLs at 2933Mhz no matter what you do except, painstakingly testing variations from your ryzen calc numbers and hope you find the golden one sooner than later . did you try to do 14CL maybe at 2933Mhz/3000Mhz ?

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in