Recommendations about Ryzen 7 2700X motherboard + memory - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommendations about Ryzen 7 2700X motherboard + memory

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Recommendations about Ryzen 7 2700X motherboard + memory

I am a retired C/C++ developer (and a bunch of other programming languages, among them assembler).
I have somewhat lost the connection with modern hardware (live, you know, work,work, ...). I am in the
process to build a very performing PC for me. I have chose (and already bought) the "Fractal Design Define
R5 Black". Mi intent is to use the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor, or if it would not be to long before the
3rd Gen. of this processor comes to the market, i will use this one. now mi problem is to chose a corresponding
motherboard and good (speedy) memory with low latency (anticipating the 3rd Gen. Ryzen 7). I will use this
machine to do number crunching and not for games. (The only "game" i probably play is flight simulator).
Later, i will probably enter the domain of overclocking (OC), so please take this in consideration also.

Kind regards,
MrcCppDvlpr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 516 (Unique: 254)
Hello. I have been away from this forum for 1 1/2 years, so i don't know what happened, but the forum seems much less active than it was. I don't have Ryzen yet (i have it on order), but my 2 cents, in case you get no other replies and you want a half-decent advice in short time:

Considering you want to overclock in the future, i would grab a X470 motherboard, of those with >4 phases:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communit...e-1155146.html

Don't get a 4 phase one, it won't have much overclocking headroom for a 2700x. Look at the "echte Phasen" column. Where you see for example (4x2), it means, they are 4 phases, doubled (using a doubler). This is better than 4 without doubler, but in general, 5 or 6 pure phases might be better, although it depends on the mosfets used in each motherboard. Personally, i 'd go either MSI X470 (has usually good heatsinks) or ASUS X470. Go to their websites, find a model you like and with heatsinks that give a lot of surface, check also the "AMD motherboard" section of the forum if there is a specific discussion about it, to make sure it has no weird bugs and go ahead.

About RAM, the "gold standard" for Ryzen is RAM with Samsung b die, 3200Mhz. Usually such RAM kits are sold as 3200C14 (or 3200CAS14). Non Samsung RAM will work too though nowdays. I suggest you control your motherboard's QVL list to make sure you can use the RAM you will pick. Some kits, are certified to be used with all 4 RAM slots occupied (so you can install later another 16GB kit, for a total of 32GB). But most, aren't. Which means you will be either stuck with 2 RAM sticks or you will be able to run 4 sticks, but not at the rated frequency. Ryzen likes high frequency memory. So don't drop below 3000Mhz, which is the fastest RAM speed supported by Ryzen 2nd gen (2933Mhz effective speed). Myself, i ordered Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (3000Mhz is not ideal, but it's a good compromise), because it's not insanely priced and on the MSI B450 motherboard i ordered, it is supported in all 4 slots (so, in the future, i may even run 32GB in 4 slots). You want to buy 2x8GB kit nowdays. Don't buy 1x16GB, because you will lose dual channel.

Hopefully, someone else will give you more direct advice. The above is a general purchase guideline. Bottom line:
- Motherboard: The more phases, the better for overclock.
- RAM: Higher speed and lower latency (latency is the "CAS" or "C" part you see on the RAM kits names) are better, but check the motherboard's QVL (find the motherboard model and check the supported RAM section) to make sure it's supported and in how many slots (if you don't plan to ever run more than 16GB, 2 slots are enough. If not, you need a RAM kit that will be supported in 4 slots on your motherboard). An example of timings you may find in RAM kits spec sheets, is "15-17-17-35". The first, is the most important, the CAS latency (15 in this case). The lower all these numbers are, the better. If you can get 3200Mhz C14, that's ideal. But they usually charge accordingly.
- Double check the motherboard model in the "AMD Motherboards" section, to see if it has some well known defect. For instance, it is probable, that in MSI, when overclocking, you lose power saving features, from what i 've read. In case this is important for you, i would probably go ASUS or Gigabyte first.

Good luck.

Last edited by Undervolter; 02-07-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Re : Recommendations about Ryzen 7 2700X motherboard + memory

Many thanks dear undervolter, this set me on a path to follow

Kind regards MrcCppDvlpr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MrcCppDvlpr View Post
Many thanks dear undervolter, this set me on a path to follow

Kind regards MrcCppDvlpr.
Glad if i could help. Hopefully someone who already has Ryzen and has been in the forum more time lately, can give you more precise advice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM
curmudgeon

Rep: 303 (Unique: 174)
That is generally good advice Undervolter, but times have changed when it comes to motherboards.

FX motherboards ranged from actively dangerous to barely good enough. Ryzen motherboards range from barely good enough to what we have always wanted.

This means that phase count is only important for bottom feeders. One example is the Biostar X370 GT7 uses the same 4 mosfets as the $200 more expensive ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme. The quality of the mosfets is more important than the mosfet count. This is where FX boards always failed us as none of them had the really good stuff so they needed the higher phase count.

To OP: Those using the 2700X found that they got the best every day performance by just letting the board run auto OC. Manual OCing gave results that just were not worth the time and effort. You mention 3rd gen Ryzen so you will be wanting a high quality X470 board to support it. You will also be wanting fast ram. Your wallet will tell you what speed you will end up with but scanning the 2700X thread and the memory stability thread should give you some ideas as to what works best these days.

#YouMightThinkItsOk
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by miklkit View Post
That is generally good advice Undervolter, but times have changed when it comes to motherboards.

FX motherboards ranged from actively dangerous to barely good enough. Ryzen motherboards range from barely good enough to what we have always wanted.

This means that phase count is only important for bottom feeders. One example is the Biostar X370 GT7 uses the same 4 mosfets as the $200 more expensive ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme. The quality of the mosfets is more important than the mosfet count. This is where FX boards always failed us as none of them had the really good stuff so they needed the higher phase count.

To OP: Those using the 2700X found that they got the best every day performance by just letting the board run auto OC. Manual OCing gave results that just were not worth the time and effort. You mention 3rd gen Ryzen so you will be wanting a high quality X470 board to support it. You will also be wanting fast ram. Your wallet will tell you what speed you will end up with but scanning the 2700X thread and the memory stability thread should give you some ideas as to what works best these days.
That's why i hoped some current Ryzen user would help, because i haven't followed what mosfets each motherboard has. It's why i said that "although depends on the mosfets", but being away from the forum and the platform, i have no idea what kind of power the mosfets deliver in these boards, so the next best thing, was to go with phase number.

@OP Listen to Miklkit, he is an AMD veteran in the forum and he knows his Ryzen much better than me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Do not forget about good AIO or Noctua D15 to use your 2700x on 100% with PBO and XFR without heat limit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in