Overclocked 1600 vcore not dropping much at idle? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Overclocked 1600 vcore not dropping much at idle?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
Overclocked 1600 vcore not dropping much at idle?

So the voltage drop at idle (with accompanying downclock) worked fine on my old motherboard, and worked fine on this one until I did overclocking.

In HWMonitor the core clock and power still seem to be dropping appropriately. The CPU is using like 15-20w at idle and downclocking to 1400-1550Mhz frequently at idle, but the vcore isn't dropping below 1.21v or so. I have it set to offset mode in the motherboard settings, it's something like + 0.05 or 0.06 roughly, I can double check if I need to. But mainly I'm wondering why it's downclocking fine and showing low power usage, but the vcore won't drop to like 0.875v like it used to?

Is there some setting I need to change in the motherboard or does it just act this way with a high overclock and there's nothing I can do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 169 (Unique: 99)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
So the voltage drop at idle (with accompanying downclock) worked fine on my old motherboard, and worked fine on this one until I did overclocking.

In HWMonitor the core clock and power still seem to be dropping appropriately. The CPU is using like 15-20w at idle and downclocking to 1400-1550Mhz frequently at idle, but the vcore isn't dropping below 1.21v or so. I have it set to offset mode in the motherboard settings, it's something like + 0.05 or 0.06 roughly, I can double check if I need to. But mainly I'm wondering why it's downclocking fine and showing low power usage, but the vcore won't drop to like 0.875v like it used to?

Is there some setting I need to change in the motherboard or does it just act this way with a high overclock and there's nothing I can do about it?
I think you have to look into custom p-states

Ryzen- Too lazy to list everything. ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero- R5 1600, MSI Gaming Titanium- R5 2400G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in