Performance Enhancer Lv3/Lv4 doubt

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Performance Enhancer Lv3/Lv4 doubt

Hello
I have a doubt
I have an Asus Strix B450-I and Ryzen 5 2600X
I selected performance enhancer level 3 (OC)
But now both vcore and cpu frequencies do not go down in idle, how to solve this?
I have Global C-state Control enabled
In performance enhancer level 2, c-state, it works.
With performance enhancer level 3 enabled, what power plan should I select in windows?
With performance enhancer level 3 enabled, should I have PBO enabled or auto?

Last edited by jcpq; 04-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Do not use automated overclocking, do it manually.

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+
RAM
2x KHX2400C11D3/8GX 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDWD10 (P300)
Power Supply
Corsair CS650M
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis + Arctic Cooling MX4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCk Mini
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808
Audio
AKG K240 Studio 1st rev
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by BroadPwns View Post
Do not use automated overclocking, do it manually.
Dynamite drop-in.

To answer the question: You can use any power plan you'd like as long as Minimum Processor State is set to a value below 50%. The Ryzen Balanced plan sets it to 90% and is meant for first gen Ryzen and not Zen+. I use Ultimate Performance and Minimum Processor State is set to 20%.

Also make certain Core Performance Boost is set to Enabled. And you can leave PBO to Auto.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |

Last edited by nick name; 04-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM
FX-5000

Rep: 64 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by jcpq View Post
Hello
I have a doubt
I have an Asus Strix B450-I and Ryzen 5 2600X
I selected performance enhancer level 3 (OC)
But now both vcore and cpu frequencies do not go down in idle, how to solve this?
I have Global C-state Control enabled
In performance enhancer level 2, c-state, it works.
With performance enhancer level 3 enabled, what power plan should I select in windows?
With performance enhancer level 3 enabled, should I have PBO enabled or auto?
Well that fine line between overclocking and saving power. It doesn't really go hand in hand.

So to understand power savings.....
Cpu clocks and voltage pinned at overclock while not in use, doesn't use much power, and when going idle and dropping clocks and voltage really doesn't save you that much more power to worry about it or have a need to down-clock.

BroadPwns - has it right actually. Whatever clocks and v-core Level 3 shows you in cpu-z, replicate manually. Leave C-states enabled and disabled FXR/PBO, have C-states enabled and windows power plan to balanced and the cpu will throttle down from manually set desired overclock.

nick name also is correct with minimum processor states setting of 50%, but may not work wile using performance enhancer level 3 enabled. You'll have to try it, I never use it.

Some screen shots might be helpful to get you a nice stable manual (static) overclock that may even be higher than performance enhancer level 3.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Well that fine line between overclocking and saving power. It doesn't really go hand in hand.

So to understand power savings.....
Cpu clocks and voltage pinned at overclock while not in use, doesn't use much power, and when going idle and dropping clocks and voltage really doesn't save you that much more power to worry about it or have a need to down-clock.

BroadPwns - has it right actually. Whatever clocks and v-core Level 3 shows you in cpu-z, replicate manually. Leave C-states enabled and disabled FXR/PBO, have C-states enabled and windows power plan to balanced and the cpu will throttle down from manually set desired overclock.

nick name also is correct with minimum processor states setting of 50%, but may not work wile using performance enhancer level 3 enabled. You'll have to try it, I never use it.

Some screen shots might be helpful to get you a nice stable manual (static) overclock that may even be higher than performance enhancer level 3.
BroadPwns doesn't have it right at all. Level 3 and Level 4 overclock PBO in a manner that is different than setting the multiplier manually. It isn't an auto overlcoking feature. The CPU will still posses its full range between full core speeds and single core speeds being higher. It isn't simply the CPU going from idle speeds to whatever CPU multiplier you wish to deploy.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM
FX-5000

Rep: 64 (Unique: 47)
You can overclock statically and run C-states with Balanced power plan. Instead of single core jumps (which are usless while in game) the entire thread count hits desired multiplier and at idle throttles the cpu.

So yea, he doesn't have it wrong....
If you run PBO on auto.... that's "Auto overclocking" ALL cores.
Core performance boost increase clocks of individual core/thread and generally only activates a single core/thread during the overclock.

AND my point being even with a manual overclock with a locked clock and voltage would still use very little energy at idle. The Green power savings is really a funny feature. I have no idea why overclockers ever shut it off......??
Remember he's running a B450 not a CHVII like yourself....

If you use PBO and CPB, you are not overclocking anything, the board and cpu are doing it for you.......

This is static overclocking.
I'm trying to figure out why people really think they are overclocking while utilizing the features of SenseMi. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2118334.png
Views:	21
Size:	761.0 KB
ID:	266628  

Last edited by ShrimpBrime; 04-24-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
You can overclock statically and run C-states with Balanced power plan. Instead of single core jumps (which are usless while in game) the entire thread count hits desired multiplier and at idle throttles the cpu.

So yea, he doesn't have it wrong....
If you run PBO on auto.... that's "Auto overclocking" ALL cores.
Core performance boost increase clocks of individual core/thread and generally only activates a single core/thread during the overclock.

AND my point being even with a manual overclock with a locked clock and voltage would still use very little energy at idle. The Green power savings is really a funny feature. I have no idea why overclockers ever shut it off......??
Remember he's running a B450 not a CHVII like yourself....

If you use PBO and CPB, you are not overclocking anything, the board and cpu are doing it for you.......

This is static overclocking.
I'm trying to figure out why people really think they are overclocking while utilizing the features of SenseMi. lol.
Nobody mentioned SenseMi. And do you know what ASUS' Performance Enhancer Level 3 and 4 actually do? And while his B450 probably doesn't have the VRMs to run as well as my board that truth would also apply to any manual overclock he wished to set.

Performance Enhancer Level 3 and 4 allows for the CPU to behave as if he had set a static overclock for all cores while maintaining the capability of his CPU clocking fewer and single core loads even faster. It's really the best of both worlds. It will give him the performance of a standard overclock on all core loads without losing the higher speeds he could achieve with fewer and single core workloads.

Also, leaving PBO on Auto means auto overclocking? A CPU behaving within spec by definition isn't overclocking.

Learn what you're talking about before laughing at others that have countless hours invested into both the CPU and features they are speaking about.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

With Performance Enhancer Level 3 -- which is running all core speeds at 4.307GHz. It also allows for single core speeds to reach 4.35GHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wPrime.png
Views:	8
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	266640  

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
First of all thank you all.

For now I'm with PE Lv3, PBO Auto, CPB Enabled, Vcore Auto.

In power plan I'm using windows balanced, but I have a problem, whenever I set the minimum processor state to below 50%, the system becomes unstable, artifacts appear on the image, chrome closes unexpectedly.

If I put 65% type in minimum processor state, everything is fine.

What is the reason for this?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jcpq View Post
First of all thank you all.

For now I'm with PE Lv3, PBO Auto, CPB Enabled, Vcore Auto.

In power plan I'm using windows balanced, but I have a problem, whenever I set the minimum processor state to below 50%, the system becomes unstable, artifacts appear on the image, chrome closes unexpectedly.

If I put 65% type in minimum processor state, everything is fine.

What is the reason for this?
I imagine there are some higher frequencies when you set minimum processor state below 50%. What frequencies are you seeing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in