AMD Ryzen 7 2700X OC Questions - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X OC Questions

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X OC Questions

I am new to overclocking and forums in general, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area or something like that. I just have a few questions that I am curious about.

1) I saw some YouTube videos where the people overclocking would get a crash with a blue screen, while I just get a lock up. Would it make a difference that these people were on Intel CPUs or not? I just wonder why I get lock ups and they get blue screens.

2)I can get to a max of around 4.15 GHz stable on any voltage, and it seems like I should be able to get more than 150 MHz more than boost clock, it doesn't matter what voltage I am running on, it always crashes on a stress test above that. Would it seem like I am missing anything or do I just have an unlucky CPU?

I apologize if this is not enough information, if it would help here is my spec list.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: MS-7B79
BIOS: A.70 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16336MB RAM
Page File: 12169MB used, 6981MB available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 AM
FX-5000

Rep: 64 (Unique: 47)
If you are manually overclocking, it will take a bit more voltage than (auto) will supply even at 4.1ghz. While using FXR at 4ghz load you should see 1.45v roughly. It'll take a bit more than that to run 4.2ghz.

Blue screen typically is a memory related error.

A hang or frozen screen would be a low v-core hang.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 58)
Overclocking potential varies from chip to chip. The average Ryzen 7 2700X should be able to attain an overclock in the range of 4.1 GHz to 4.2 GHz, while the really good samples can reach 4.3 GHz to 4.4 GHz. It's a matter of winning the silicon lottery.

No need to actually overclock the Ryzen 7 2700X because of 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors: Extended Frequency Range (XFR)2 and Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) 2 will allow CPU processor to dramatically increase clockspeeds when the CPU has electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom to spare and is capable of reaching 4350Mhz on single core.

If you would like to try some manual overclocking you will get lock ups/blue screens and just plain old strange behavior with your computer overall.I can try to help you out if you want to try.

First things first you need to update BIOS and AMD Chip set drivers.You must have good cooling to achieve good overclocks.Enjoy have fun.

1. Download -AMD Chipset Driver
Version 18.50.16.01 For your Windows 10 version
2.Extract and Run setup.exe
3.Restart your computer
4.Download- BIOS 7B79v19
Release Date 2019-03-08
5.Extract and copy file -E7B79AMS.190 to thumb drive
6.Restart computer and go into BIOS
7.Put thumb drive with file E7B79AMS.190 on it in USB port.
8.Select M-FLASH in BIOS settings and reboot computer,it should do it all by itself.
9.Once rebooted in to M-Flash select file E7B79AMS.190 on the thumb drive and let the M-flash reboot computer .
10.Once back into BIOS setup your BIOS again (I included BIOS setting to try in download link below,also set fan profile in BIOS see below for settings,reboot computer to desktop).
11. It is a good Idea but not necessary to reinstall graphics driver and reboot computer.
12.BIOS settings I use are for a rough idea on what and how to set for proper voltages.Since these BIOS settings are for the 2600X you will need more CPU Voltage for the 2700X.
13.Now it is up to you where you start and what speed you want to achieve but the settings I laid out for all core overclock should be a starting point.If you reboot computer and get a crash of any kind,adjust CPU voltage by increments of +0.125mv until computer boots and run stress test for stability.
14.Also with your Ram you should just use XMP profile (if possible)because I have no clue what Ram you have.
15.Test computer with various test of you choosing for stability but AIDA64 Stress test are very good.Video game can expose bad overclocks on CPU and memory such as BIOWARE Anthem/Witcher3 .Memtest using 1usmus TM5 0.12 v3 config

Fan Settings in BIOS for overclock adjust as you want.
40% fan speed at 45c
45% fan speed at 55c
65% fan speed at 65c
100% fan speed at 80c

Download for all BIOS settings to adjust for manual overclock
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bmw...ew?usp=sharing

Video showing settings and cinbench/intelburn test and AIDA64

Your Motherboard downloads
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in