Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really) - Page 33 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really)

post #321 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 846 (Unique: 324)
Quote: Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
So what you're saying is, VID does nothing once you're in manual OC via the bios? I'm worried because I'm trying out the Per-CCX utility and it does seem to adjust my VID. And VID keeps jumping round. Again just to be sure, in manual mode, VID is ignored even though it jumps around?

I attached a screenshot with some graphs open. The first run is just booted up with 1.275 VID and 1.325 vCore set in the BIOS. Then I set 4000MHz on CCX0 and somehow this jumps the VID to 1.488, I run Cinebench and it drops to 1.4'ish. The other two voltages (vCore and SVI2) stay the same. Then in Ryzen master, I put the voltage back on 1.275, and again only VID changes.

It just seems so counter-intuitive that the voltage setting in ryzen master when doing manual OC would adjust VID if that didn't do something, so in that regard seeing 1.40v VID under full load does worry me.
Where can I find this tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Don't touch VID. The CPU will work out what VID is required`- you just set VCore. Most accurate measurement of that is the CPU Core SVI2 TFN in HWInfo.
Yeah but then why does it change VID when applying a per-CCX OC to 1.48, with VID settling at 1.40, all that while SIV2 TFN stays completely unchanged? That tells me that either CPU VID does nothing or SIV2 TFN is not actually a measure for the voltage on the core. They cannot both be true, can they?

For the record, I'm not actively changing VID or intending to do so when pressing that button on the Per-CCX OC tool. It just happens.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
Where can I find this tool?
I found it in der8auer's video description of this one
. The direct link to the tool is http://bit.ly/30zhbMz

Last edited by Boxman; 07-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #323 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
[doublepost, sorry]

Well I'll edit this then, from a pretty sketchy test it seems VID indeed does nothing in manual OC mode. When doing Small FFT AVX on this 3.8GHz setting, temps instantly jump to 94-95C, so I quit the test immediately. That was on VID 1.275. Setting VID to 1.20 and 1.10 (where it drops to 1.00) does not scale at all with either power usage or temperature (confirming that the power usage number is correct).

Edit2// Confirmed that least lower VID and/or Ryzen Master voltage setting in general does nothing when on Manual OC in the bios. Setting VID to 1.1v still allows me to get CCX1 to 4.5GHz.

Why setting VID is even a thing (either in BIOS or Ryzen Master) is beyond me.

Last edited by Boxman; 07-22-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #324 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 846 (Unique: 324)
In short: Unless you are certain that you are using manual voltage mode (VRM controller, from the bios) do not use the application ("worktool").

It is a CPU killer if the VRM controller is running in offset-mode.

I tried it with the voltage mode set to offset (or "Auto") and setting 4200MHz for CCX0/1 and 4050MHz for CCX2/3 resulted in 1.405V actual Vout during Cinebench R20.

The voltages during the default OC-Mode remain sane, regardless of the VRM controller operating mode.
This hack however causes the voltage governor to go insane.

I have no idea why someone thought it would be a good idea to release this to the public...
post #325 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
Interesting Scaler Boost on my 3800x

Not surprisingly I am seeing higher vCore boosts on average with the PBO Scaler at 3x.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBO 3X.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	282810  

Always Searching for Perfection,

Bluesman
post #326 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
@crakej

So last night I did benches and was happy with them. Rerun profile for length testing again and all well.

This morning before leaving home I setup the lowered SOC/VDDG profile, nothing else was changed. Now I benched it and was horrified as I lost performance, even though stability was not lost.

I then went back to initially used SOC/VDDG, performance was back. Lowered SOC/VDDG and gone again.

Last nights benches, room ambient ~20C.

Spoiler!

Reload profile and test, room ambient ~26C.

Spoiler!

Reload lowered SOC/VDDG profile, room ambient ~26C.

Spoiler!
post #327 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 8)
In short: Unless you are certain that you are using manual voltage mode (VRM controller, from the bios) do not use the application ("worktool").

I tried it with the voltage mode set to offset (or "Auto") and setting 4200MHz for CCX0/1 and 4050MHz for CCX2/3 resulted in 1.405V actual Vout during Cinebench R20.

The voltages during the default OC-Mode remain sane, regardless of the VRM controller operating mode.

I have no idea why someone thought it would be a good idea to release this to the public...
Because they knew you would save everyone? Classic super hero lure?

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #328 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
@crakej

So last night I did benches and was happy with them. Rerun profile for length testing again and all well.

This morning before leaving home I setup the lowered SOC/VDDG profile, nothing else was changed. Now I benched it and was horrified as I lost performance, even though stability was not lost.

I then went back to initially used SOC/VDDG, performance was back. Lowered SOC/VDDG and gone again.

Last nights benches, room ambient ~20C.

Reload profile and test, room ambient ~26C.

Reload lowered SOC/VDDG profile, room ambient ~26C.

That's what I said and noticed myself. System can be stable BUT you are loosing performance so I think best would be to run benchmarks and find at what voltage one maintains performance and going up does not give more but going down cuts it. What You think ??
post #329 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)

I'w noticed same thing and its pita to use anyhow.
One question I was playing with Ryzen master and changing mhz per core in 1 ccx. Noticed something weird. If I run lets say core 1 4350 core 2 4400 core 3 4325.... The slowest set core gets dropped to 3500 not sure if its a bug or what. Any idea ??

Would be great if Bios had option to overclock/ccx atm heh.
post #330 of 679 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
Quote: Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
That's what I said and noticed myself. System can be stable BUT you are loosing performance so I think best would be to run benchmarks and find at what voltage one maintains performance and going up does not give more but going down cuts it. What You think ??
I agree .

I'm gonna stay at SOC: 1.062 VDDG: 1.013, instead of 1.037/0.986, just rerun AIDA64 again once and back where I should be.

Spoiler!

I'm better off spending the time lowering some subtimings, going for SCL 3 (if it stable/perform), then finding out what value between the ~25mV difference of SOC/VDDG is break point for performance.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in