3200g + 2560 x 1440 monitor? What is the experience like? Stuttery/laggy? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3200g + 2560 x 1440 monitor? What is the experience like? Stuttery/laggy?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
3200g + 2560 x 1440 monitor? What is the experience like? Stuttery/laggy?

Questions:

1) Anyone here use a 3200g with a 2560 x 1440 monitor? Is the experience on 64 bit Windows 10 laggy? What about watching 4k movies and or using Win 10 and google chrome / streaming in general? Does it stutter at all?

I am hoping to build 3 computers like this one in this video
for my family members.

But I already have 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitors for them, will the 3200g be enough?

2) What if they want to upgrade to 4k monitors? Would I have to build them something else?

3) Also I am unclear about the power supply he's using in that htpc case, in the description where it says matx build option, there is a 500w power supply with the same htpc case, how does that 500w psu fit inside the htpc case?

4) Does anyone know of similar if not better build quality as this htpc case:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodisory-Alu...language=en_US

or is that the best I can get for $50?

Last edited by WoKeN; 07-24-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 AM
Ryzen Noob

Rep: 0
I don't have that APU and mainboard combination. But I have a 4 core / 4 thread Intel Haswell i5-4570S which runs at 3.6 GHz and a GTX 960. So an entry level system by todays standards. The AMD 3200g is on par with my system from a CPU standpoint, give or take a bit. GPU wise, the GTX 960 is faster, especially after increasing the resolution to 1080p and beyond.
I've run [email protected] and [email protected] with this setup and Windows 10, Youtube 4k and general 4k videos run all flawlessly. It is a very snappy system with an SSD. When it comes to gaming, the 3200g is worse than the 3400g and both of those will struggle with 1080p gaming @ 60Hz and good settings. So 1440p system should be run at 720p and the 4k system should be run at 1080p with reduced details (depends on game). Maybe eventually we'll get integer scaling from AMD and Nvidia, that will help with those resolutions on those monitors. For APU use, you should really invest in good memory. 3200 MHz is the lowest you should get, scaling goes even higher (3600 MHz is still very possible on this Zen+ APU). Those APUs make a lot of sense in small systems that are size constrained, don't game a lot or you have a very specific budget. Otherwise, a normal CPU (Ryzen 2600 for example) with an older, used graphics card is a great way to get a budget system for a good gaming experience.

For that video, I think the mATX build has the wrong case link. That is the same mITX case and clearly does not accept a ATX PSU. For mITX APU use, I would take a look at a case that has a decent SFX PSU built in (in the 250 to 350W range) and enough space for at least the AMD stock cooler. I've personally grown to like Jonsbo / Cooltek cases and have their mATX one here myself. If you want to go as small as possible and not overclock the APU, the ASRock DeskMini A300 is great and should support the Zen+ APUs after a BIOS flash (it is a case, motherboard and PSU all in one). And if you are really budget contrained, the 2200g and 2400g dropped in price (2200g vs 3200g delta is 25€ in Germany and 2400g vs 3400g is 40€) and aren't that much worse. I'd personally get a 110€ 2400g over a 98€ 3200g: 4 more threads and better iGPU, a few MHz less and slightly lower IPC.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Da Boss

Rep: 145 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by WoKeN View Post
Questions:

1) Anyone here uses a 3200g with a 2560 x 1440 monitor? Is the experience on 64 bit Windows 10 laggy? What about watching 4k movies and or using Win 10 and google chrome/streaming in general? Does it stutter at all?

I am hoping to build 3 computers like this one in this video https://youtu.be/cZFpjWcSpoQ for my family members.

But I already have 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitors for them, will the 3200g be enough?

2) What if they want to upgrade to 4k monitors? Would I have to build them something else?

3) Also, I am unclear about the power supply he's using in that HTPC case, in the description where it says matx build option, there is a 500w power supply with the same HTPC case, how does that 500w PSU fit inside the htpc case?

4) Does anyone know of similar if not better build quality as this HTPC case:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodisory-Alu...language=en_US

or is that the best I can get for $50?
I can only answer to questions 1 and 2.
Yes, the 3200g will be fine @ 1440p and 4K for general use. Windows 10 usage, chrome, streaming, etc will be fine. Just don't try to do anything graphic intense about 720p. Older games like 5+ years old should be alright @ 1080p mixed settings but don't expect to play Monster Hunter World at 4K maxed out.

Just make sure you keep the graphics drivers up to date as well as have the system properly cooled. If my little Intel NUC can display 4K HDR, 3200g can no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Cheapest Man On Earth

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
I too think the 2400G looks like the sweet spot. The Ryzen APU's are based on the previous generation, so 2400G is like a 1000 series Ryzen CPU and the 3400G is like a 2000 series Ryzen CPU. The advancements brought to the new 3000 series CPU's won't hit the APU's until they release 4000 series APU's next year (hopefully with Navi graphics cores).

Hahaha, I was just about to link you to the same video that you already linked. It has video playback tests starting at 8:35. Seems pretty definitive to me. If you have playback issues like screen tearing then there is a problem with the drivers or settings. The hardware is pretty capable of all basic tasks.

In that video, he has two separate builds listed, and you got the parts mixed up. The 500W PSU doesn't go with that case, as it has no space for anything other than a PicoPSU. He uses cheap knockoff PicoPSU's in a lot of his builds. I have one from Mini-Box that is 125W with an appropriate power brick and it is really at the absolute limit of what it can do. Under full CPU and GPU load it can draw in excess of 110 watts which virtually any ATX PSU can provide, but you want a bit more than the ~10% headroom I have if using a PicoPSU. Especially with the cheaper ones, you don't want to push them that hard.

I would strongly recommend avoiding itx and ultra small cases. There are very small MicroATX cases that can fit standardized components like ATX PSU's with far less hassle, better upgradeability, and best of all cheaper than paying that big tax to go just a little bit smaller. And that's coming from a huge tiny house fan; I've never seen a house that physically didn't have the space to cram a MicroATX PC inside. I see lots of threads from people with fitment, heat, and other issues on extra small builds that are rarely an issue by going the next size up. Keep that in mind before throwing down your money.

If you insist on going small, then the ASRock DeskMini A300 may be the way to go:

*Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide*
Low Power Ryzen
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-PRO4
RAM
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Cooling
Tuniq Tower
Operating System
Lubuntu 18.10
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in