3900x & 3700x not compatible with some AIO's and air coolers due to chiplet locations? - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3900x & 3700x not compatible with some AIO's and air coolers due to chiplet locations?

post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 223 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
That's what I was curious about. OCCT would be at the absolute extreme but I figure if it can handle something like OCCT for an extended period then it will be absolutely fine in real world scenarios.
I haven't had a chance to run an extended OCCT test yet but I played BFV for an hour today with PBO on and max CPU temp was 66c

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Salty

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Im currently getting pretty high temps i idle in the 50s C and gaming goes up its just generally really hot. like the hottest cpu ive ever used Im using a evga clc 280. 3900x cpu btw.
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I've used only AIO cooling for the 20 or so rigs I've built in the last ten years. Only one needed to be oriented 90 degrees different (rotated left or right 90 degrees) to work better. It seemed more efficient (same paste, same fans) rotated. Automatic voltage control while overclocking invariably leads to too much voltage being used and higher temps. I game at 45C or less on my 9900K running at 5.2GHz (all cores). Using the best thermal paste you can afford, minimum voltage required for stability is all it takes to keep your temps down. I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It beats any other non-conductive paste by up to 10C of cooling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dibiase View Post
I'm running the the coolermaster ML360R cooler with my 3900x and my cpu temp don't go above 50C full load.
That looks to be about right. Sounds like the poster who started this convo has got something else going on entirely:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...x570_review/29

Azza Inferno 310 Case|AMD Ryzen 7 1700X|Deepcool GAMMAXX GT RGB Cooler|AsRock X370 Taichi MOBO|GSkill Trident-Z RGB 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL-14|Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe M.2 512GB|Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|Tosihiba DT01ACA300 HDD 3TB|Seagate ST1000DX001 HDD 1TB|EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2|Corsair TX-650 650W PSU|6 x Enermax T.B. RGB Fans
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Ryzen Noob

Quote: Originally Posted by dark14 View Post
Im currently getting pretty high temps i idle in the 50s C
Idle temps need to die a quick and painful death. Everyone these days is running some sort of temperature based fan controller I assume, so idle temps are pretty much useless and only a function of what kind of noise someone likes to listen to all day and the ambient temperature. I can get my idle temps to delta 10K compared to ambient I'm sure. But I wouldn't want to. On the other hand, 60°C idle temps mean nothing if measured with a passively cooled system and once I stress it the fans kick in at about 65°C and keep it at 66°C.

@jasper : I've used a custom water loop for my i7-860 (CPU only) and a 4770k plus a R9 290x. I got a bit more headroom OC wise (like 100 MHz GPU chip and memory clock and 200 MHz CPU) and quieter operation (480mm radiator for just the 860 or 480 + 200mm radiator for 4700k+R9 290). So that said, watercooling can be pretty great (and pricey). But AIOs I never really got. Surface area wise, an AIO 240mm isn't really better than a dual tower setup. And not even cheaper necessarily. 280mm might approach parity or be superior, depending on the design, but those are definitely more expensive. 360 definitely is more, but then we are dealing with other issues. If you have a spacey enough case, why not just get a full loop. If you don't have a spacey case, a dual tower is still more compatible, only really requiring z height since it otherwise is inside the mainboard limits and can only interfer with (crappy) RAM heatspreaders. All in all, I wouldn't invite the extra noise and failure point (pump, fittings, leakage) into my system for the marginal results it can produce.

Case: Jonsbo U3 mATX - modded with two front intake 120 mm fans
Mainboard: MSI B450M Mortar on 1.90 BIOS, AGESA 1.0.0.3ab
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x PBO @ Dark Rock Pro 3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 3200CL18 @ 3533CL16 stable Micron E-die - 3600 MHz not stable, waiting for new BIOS
Graphicscard: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini @ stock so far
Fans: two Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, one Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 PM
DRAM Obsessor

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Martin778 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Dibiase View Post
I'm running the the coolermaster ML360R cooler with my 3900x and my cpu temp don't go above 50C full load.
That's absolute bull, 3900X idles betweeen 45-55*C already. 3900X and ML360R run around 72-75*C in Cinebench and up to 90 in Aida64 w. FPU.
The cooler for 3900X barely even matters because the CPU is cooking from inside out due to it's 7nm nature and since AMD had to beat Intel with whatever they could, they strained that CPU to oblivion, that was the only way for them to get those short 4.4-4.6GHz bursts, otherwise the best efficiency of Zen2 lays around 4.0GHz.

Anyone saying a 8-core Zen2 running under 60-65*C is either telling fairytales or doesn't know how to stress test a CPU properly....or both.
While you may be right about the 3900x and its temps as I don't own one and cannot comment on that cpu but the 3700x stays right at or below 60c for me during 120w sustained loads and what you are saying about the cpus having short 4.4-4.6 ghz boosts is down to the boosting algorithm just not being able to overclock to their full potential. I can configure my 3700x to boost 4.4ghz all core with 4.5ghz+ on multiple cores. The boosting algorithm isnt fully to blame though, its also partly the power settings within Windows being garbage at default. On balanced with the same cpu it wont even boost to 4.3ghz and High Performance isn't much better but when I manually configure the core parking, load sensitivities, etc within the Windows power profiles then it will boost to their advertised speed or within 25mhz. These options are hidden by Windows, well bc its Microsoft .

There are a couple dozen options relevant to boost behavior and how fast the cpu reacts to loads and how much of a load is needed for these reactions among others so thats an avenue to look down.

As far as configuring within the bios on my C7H undervolting slightly using a -.04375v offset and running at 102.2mhz bclk I can manipulate the boost into the 4.4ghz all core with 4.5ghz multicore boost I spoke of earlier. VCore ends up being around 1.35v during all core loads with temps hitting right around 60-63c (29-32c delta) with my H115i Pro with Noctua NF-A14 in Push/Pull and I always use LM as a thermal interface on the IHS which dramatically helps in thermal transfer on my end.

As far as running small FFTs in OCCT or Prime95 it may increase another 10c but IIRC The Stilt wasnt very adamant on using the default small FFTs preset for stressing Ryzen 2nd Gen but id have to dig through the Strictly Matisse thread to quote exactly what was said and Im not in a position to do that at the moment.

Another thing, when discussing temps instead of using someones max temp, the above ambient delta would be more relevant as someone with 40c ambient will surely have a much higher max temp than someone running at 22c ambient.

Once I am off work and home later I will do some stress testing and double check my results and post something with monitoring screens attached.

Another note -1.8v PLL and 1.05 SB tend to be high on my motherboard and lowering them to the correct values lowers temps several degrees as well as configuring SoC and VDDG correctly but SoC and VDDG arent really a big difference and can affect performance and memory stability if not tested properly.

CPU- AMD Ryzen [email protected] *
MOTHERBOARD- ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 w/ XOC [email protected] (Morpheus Cooler)
RAM- G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR @ 3800mhz (14-15-15-22-36-1T)
COOLING- CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 (x7)
CASE- Silverstone RL06 Pro (Modified)
MONITORS- VIOTEK GN32C (x2)

post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello new to the forums, but was contemplating AIO cooling, but after reading this thread I am not convinced it will help me so much due to somewhat limited OC capabilities unlocked currently.

My 4-120mm Case fans and Wraith cooler keep my CPU at 32C at idle in a 23C room, I do mostly gaming and hold right around 55-60 for most games and under stress test like Cinebench or similar I hold at 77C full load even under extended testing. I only have PBO enabled, Ram set at XMP 3600 and running performance mode. I have had ram to 3733 but seemed to be slower than XMP 3600 due to the timing jumps necessary. I have not messed with any additional OC yet, but hold consistently at 4.1Ghz low end to 4.4Ghz High end which is more than enough for what I do. I do find it curious how many are having higher temps even with AIO's and wonder if I may have just gotten lucky with my chipset not running as hot, or if my case just cools so effectively relative.
I have 2 Cougar 140MM fans to be added as exhaust fans for the top of my case as soon as they arrive and will be curious to see if any improvement is made.

As far as the thermal paste issue, it was shown on many different tests that all like thermal compounds have less than a 5 degree variation from similar compounds on CPUs. Most high temperature offsets are caused by old paste comparing to new paste freshly applied. For example, Kryonaut although one of the best out there was less than 10 degrees cooler than using Denture cream, and 14 degrees less than using toothpaste and this is under air cooling, liquid cooling Deltas were a bit closer. Proper application of product is actually more beneficial than the product used. (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...on,5108-9.html)

AMD 3900X With Wraith Prism cooler
ASROCK TaiChi x570 motherboard
HyperX 4000Mhz RAM
Gigabye RTX 2070 Super
Rosewill Spectra C100 case
EVO Pro M.2 Drives
Alienware 25" 240Hz Monitor
post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 223 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hollywood703 View Post
Hello new to the forums, but was contemplating AIO cooling, but after reading this thread I am not convinced it will help me so much due to somewhat limited OC capabilities unlocked currently.

My 4-120mm Case fans and Wraith cooler keep my CPU at 32C at idle in a 23C room, I do mostly gaming and hold right around 55-60 for most games and under stress test like Cinebench or similar I hold at 77C full load even under extended testing. I only have PBO enabled, Ram set at XMP 3600 and running performance mode. I have had ram to 3733 but seemed to be slower than XMP 3600 due to the timing jumps necessary. I have not messed with any additional OC yet, but hold consistently at 4.1Ghz low end to 4.4Ghz High end which is more than enough for what I do. I do find it curious how many are having higher temps even with AIO's and wonder if I may have just gotten lucky with my chipset not running as hot, or if my case just cools so effectively relative.
I have 2 Cougar 140MM fans to be added as exhaust fans for the top of my case as soon as they arrive and will be curious to see if any improvement is made.

As far as the thermal paste issue, it was shown on many different tests that all like thermal compounds have less than a 5 degree variation from similar compounds on CPUs. Most high temperature offsets are caused by old paste comparing to new paste freshly applied. For example, Kryonaut although one of the best out there was less than 10 degrees cooler than using Denture cream, and 14 degrees less than using toothpaste and this is under air cooling, liquid cooling Deltas were a bit closer. Proper application of product is actually more beneficial than the product used. (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...on,5108-9.html)
What stress test are you doing? Try OCCT small data set.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Well I finally got my Ryzen 9 3900x about two weeks ago. I first ran it on my C7H but after a failed dry ice attempt the board said good bey with a lost memory channel.

I settled for a Msi Meg x570 Ace which is working pretty well. Still getting to know the board. I don't believe in stock or PBO, I'm old fashioned manual overclocking. I don't use stress tests to determine stability if it works and runs what I throw at it I'm happy.

My cpu is stable at 4.36ghz all core using 1.33vcore which sits at 1.328v under load. Highest temps I've seen running cb20 was 72c which I think is good. My system is open, basically a open bench. Idle temps is around 25c with cooler ambient here in South Africa.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

No way I have the same cooler and prime95 full load test with all 3 fans and pump 100% I get 80 to 81c. The AIO is brand new. and 3.8 gigahertz It starts to throttle back at 80c to 3.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in