3900x & 3700x not compatible with some AIO's and air coolers due to chiplet locations? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3900x & 3700x not compatible with some AIO's and air coolers due to chiplet locations?

post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 223 (Unique: 197)
3900x & 3700x not compatible with some AIO's and air coolers due to chiplet locations?

I have been reading around a bit and it seems that people are having issues with very high temps on the 3900x with many of the popular AIO coolers and air coolers. Even the Noctua NH-D15 and BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 have reports of temps over 90C on load. Someone on reddit mentioned it may be due to the fact that most of the cooler designs focus cooling on the center of the plate and due to the chiplet design of the 3900x being offset they don't effectively cool the chiplets. It seems like there may be quite a few coolers that are affected. I am wondering if there may be some new AIO and air cooler designs coming out that will get cooling over the entire chip or if there are any currently out there that are better at cooling across the plate than others. Thoughts?

EDIT:
Interesting update on something that I found... Looks like PBO is on by default on my board. Might be the reason for a lot of the high temperature reports.

I was messing around with the BIOS settings today. I have 4 options for PBO in the bios of my Aorus board. PBO Enabled, Disabled, automatic and manual. I was doing some of the OCCT Small data set, Cinnebench R20 and a H.264 encode to keep things consistent. Still using my Fuma 2 air cooler.

PBO on auto or enabled in the bios made zero difference for my cinnebench scores and my OCCT Temps. I got an average of 7080 in cinnebench R20 avg 3 runs with PBO enabled and PBO automatic. 81C max temp in cinnebench. Got 92C on OCCT small data set and my H.264 encode averaged 111.5fps.

Interestingly the results with PBO disabled in the bios were quite different temp wise but the scores were about the same
Cinnebench R20 avg 7011 max temp 74c
OCCT Small data set 79C
H.264 encode avg 109.5 fps

So for a marginal hit to performance I was able to drop 14c off of my stress test temps by just disabling PBO in the BIOS that was set to automatic by default.

EDIT 2
I couldn't replicate these results. Not sure what happened the first time. PBO disabled and PBO auto behave the same confirmed by GBT-MatthewH in another thread.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by killeraxemannic; 07-27-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm running the the coolermaster ML360R cooler with my 3900x and my cpu temp don't go above 50C full load.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dibiase View Post
I'm running the the coolermaster ML360R cooler with my 3900x and my cpu temp don't go above 50C full load.
That's interesting. In a reddit post I was reading someone said they were getting good temps with a CoolerMaster 240 AIO too.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
That's interesting. In a reddit post I was reading someone said they were getting good temps with a CoolerMaster 240 AIO too.
There is a whole bunch of data over here https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...nch-temps.html of people running cinnebench posting temps. They all seem pretty good. Most topping out in the 70 - 80 C range.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Ryzen Noob

Quote:
Thoughts?
Without specific numbers (can you point us to the place where "people are having issues with very high temps on the 3900x"?) it is difficult to come to a conclusion. But since my Dark Rock Pro 3 covers the IHS of my 3700x completely, there should be no issue because of the chiplets inside the IHS. At most there may be a 5K temperature difference compared to a monolithic die in the middle of the IHS (what with slight pressure changes, similar to delidded results). Getting 90°C on decent cooling system seems like a setup issue: early BIOS versions giving too much voltage, manual overclocking gone wrong, people building a new system and not removing the plastic sticker from the cooler, not enough thermal paste.
This isn't a TR4 situation, where the IHS was too large for common coolers and they couldn't cover the whole thing.

I have seen a thread (don't remember where), where people speculated about water cooler blocks and the size/placement of the fin area inside them not corresponding to the Ryzen 3000 chiplet locations and if getting larger fin areas would result in better cooling. I doubt this pretty much (unless sub 2K is considered "better" enough), since the heat transfer of copper is already pretty good.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dibiase View Post
That's interesting, because that's physically impossible unless you have exotic cooling. Taking into account the thermal paste, IHS, solder and chiplet diffusion barrier for the areas of these chips (since the temperature sensor is embedded within the chip, Tdie), even an ideal cooler (ideal 25C coldplate that doesn't heat up) won't be able to cool this chip much below 70C at full 142W load. Even 65C would be a massive stretch. 50C is categorically out of the question.

Either you're not actually at full load (142W) or your temperature sensor is broken.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Since it's free and easy to download whats your OCCT small data set temp after 10 min?

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Tinkerer

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
The issue is before the IHS and location of the CCDs. It’s more getting the heat out of the CCDs due to the power package and density that’s the issue.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Science

Rep: 260 (Unique: 181)
Using my setup below, and running Cinebench R15, I am getting:

Low: 41*c
High: 76*c

Also note, my NH15 only has one fan and sits in a hot room.

www.blackaero.com
Desktop
(12 items)
CPU
AMD 3900x
Motherboard
Aorus X570 Pro Wifi
GPU
MSI Nvidia 1060 6GB
RAM
G.Skill 3600mhz DDR4, 16GB
Hard Drive
HP 920 NVME 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Case
Corsair Carbide 400C
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
Keyboard
Ducky OCN Custom Mechanical
Mouse
Steel Series Kinzu V2
Audio
Fiio DAC Amplifier
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:29 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 899 (Unique: 589)
Ryzen IHS is 37x37mm so as long as your CPU cooler isn't using some direct contact heatpipe solution where the heatpipes don't cover the entire outer sides of the IHS you should be fine (i.e. a 4x6mm heatpipe solution without a baseplate).

Heatpipes and vapor chambers actually transport heat faster than water due to phase change , it's just that 240,280, and 360mm high FPI aluminum radiators will have more surface area for the final thermal interface (the fins to the air).

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in