Why 3800X? They are binned... I think - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why 3800X? They are binned... I think

post #121 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Noctua Fanboy

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Who in their right mind would OC the 3700X that way lol your loss i guess heck i get like 4150mhz on all 8 cores with PBO on so why would i OC to 4.05Ghz and lose performance.

What Amd needs to do is allow us to control PBO and for Auto OC to automatically go up by the amounts we put even if its not stable let us control that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by polkfan View Post
Who in their right mind would OC the 3700X that way lol your loss i guess heck i get like 4150mhz on all 8 cores with PBO on so why would i OC to 4.05Ghz and lose performance.

What Amd needs to do is allow us to control PBO and for Auto OC to automatically go up by the amounts we put even if its not stable let us control that.

I would really like to see this. I know from BCLKing that my 3800X can do above 4600 on some cores, but I also run into PCIe errors. I want control over whatever pre-set maximums AMD is passing along to BIOSes.
post #123 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by usoldier View Post
Here is the Silicon Lotery Binning Statistics https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Iam glad i got the 3800x too bad all the reviewers where telling peeps to not get the 3800x for 40 euros more its a nice bump in freq imo
This is for OCing all cores 24/7 right? Because those mhz are lower then the boost mhz. And if you OC, will the CPU still boost single cores? And how many typical cores can be boosted at a time (without or with OC)? And if you OC a Ryzen, does it still throttle down at low usage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by JarleH View Post
This is for OCing all cores 24/7 right? Because those mhz are lower then the boost mhz. And if you OC, will the CPU still boost single cores? And how many typical cores can be boosted at a time (without or with OC)? And if you OC a Ryzen, does it still throttle down at low usage?
Nope, with manual overclock your voltage if set manual will stay put and the core speed stay put. The clocks on that list stipulate for manual ALL CORE overclocks which is better in most cases than running stock. For example, my Ryzen 9 3900X runs 4.317ghz all core at 1.28vcore. Temps are pretty good as it would not even touch 80C when I test it with IBT Linpack.

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
post #125 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
Nope, with manual overclock your voltage if set manual will stay put and the core speed stay put. The clocks on that list stipulate for manual ALL CORE overclocks which is better in most cases than running stock. For example, my Ryzen 9 3900X runs 4.317ghz all core at 1.28vcore. Temps are pretty good as it would not even touch 80C when I test it with IBT Linpack.
Ok thanks, good to know. OC is not important for me at all, and if you at the same time lock your CPU so it does not throttle down, its a given for me that OC is not something I want to do. Heat and noise is important for me!
post #126 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Ok thanks, good to know. OC is not important for me at all, and if you at the same time lock your CPU so it does not throttle down, its a given for me that OC is not something I want to do. Heat and noise is important for me!
You're presuming something incorrect, I did the same initially. The CPU can and does still sleep cores in a manually overclocked state, even with Windows set to High Performance power plan with CPU set 100% min/max. With a fixed voltage in the 1.25v to 1.35v range one can get a very decent reduction in temps (and thus noise) during typical usage, and with a fixed all core or per ccx OC you can even perform better at the same time (with clocks on auto you will get lower perf for your lower temps). Typical Idle power draw for my 3700X is just ~20-25W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleepyOC.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	289500  

= Ryzen 7 3700X 4.3GHz @ 1.3v / Thermalright TS140 BW / Prime X470-Pro / 16GB Crucial BSLT 3733 MT/s cl16 / 1080Ti Amp Extreme 2GHz @ 0.987v / Aerocool Project7 P650 / Fractal Define XL =
post #127 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by upgraditus View Post
You're presuming something incorrect, I did the same initially. The CPU can and does still sleep cores in a manually overclocked state, even with Windows set to High Performance power plan with CPU set 100% min/max. With a fixed voltage in the 1.25v to 1.35v range one can get a very decent reduction in temps (and thus noise) during typical usage, and with a fixed all core or per ccx OC you can even perform better at the same time (with clocks on auto you will get lower perf for your lower temps). Typical Idle power draw for my 3700X is just ~20-25W.

The only real downside of manual all-core overclock seems to be a reduction in image editing, but you won't likely notice it unless you run RealBench.
post #128 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
May I ask what mobo you are using?

Sorry, just saw this, catching up on this thread. ASRock X470 Taichi - non ultimate. I have an MSI X570 board as well, but I much prefer the Taichi BIOS, so i'm using it.

post #129 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
The thing is the silicon is better for 3800X than 3700X. If your running stock it doesn't matter but if you want to mess with it the 3800X will give you a better experience.

The worst 3800X is better than the best 3700X. At least looking at silicon lottery's binning and my own 3800X sample.
I've got a bottom barrel 3800X and it's still better than their best 3700X.
What would you call a bottom of the barrel 3800X? and how to measure? I can't seem to get passed 4979 Cinebench with PBO on, on my Mortar. I'll be getting a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro soon to see if that would pull the chip ahead. New Agesa should improve things too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in