Forum Jump: 

Asus Prime X370 A

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Asus Prime X370 A

Hi,

https://www.asus.com/latin/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-A/

Will the above motherboard have good enough VRM etc..... to run the new 12 core 24 thread 3900 X? -

I've got one of these for the PCI slots and I know it's not the best of the X370 but it is X370 not a lower chipset.

Would it be possible to run the 3900 X stock settings and boost?

Anyone who's read my Intel OC'ing posts know I don't go for high temps anyway......

I've not OC'd any AMD yet ---(will be a while)

Anyway will the 3900 X be too much for this board? - If so I'll get a 3800 X but I'd like the 3900 X (after prices have dropped)

Thanks in advance of replies -----

https://www.asus.com/latin/Motherboa.../HelpDesk_CPU/

3900 X is in the CPU support list ---- but the question will it be OK?

Last edited by fra z; 08-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
There's a list on Reddit I think that said which boards should be able to take the 3900x. Unfortunately I don't think your board can or is recommended. Had it been a Prime X370 Pro I would have been OK if you don't do any overclocking. I don't remember where the list is or I'd link you. You can try it, just have a fan pointing at the VRMs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:16 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 899 (Unique: 589)
It's terrible. The VRM is worthy of a sub $100 B450 board. 4 phase doubled low side discrete mosfets (Onsemi 4C10N + 2x ONsemi 4c06N per phase). Power delivery was designed for the 95W CPUs not 105W CPUs (Robert Hallock has stated if you want to run the 105W CPUs stock to buy a board designed for 105W TDP CPUs which means B450/X470/X570).

Low fin area heatsink.

Also the featureset is terrible.

Memory goes to 3200MHz.

Realtek LAN.

ALC887 audio (the cheapest solution on any AM4 board).

No USB 3.1 gen 2 type C or front panel header.

If you want a really cheap board go with MSI Tomahawk , B450 Mortar mATX, or B450 Pro Carbon (ALC1220+WIFI+Intel LAN). Not sure how relevant PCI is for you.

P.S.:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...es_and/evlt3gh
Quote:
FACTORY SOCKET POWER LIMITS
  • 95W-105W Processors: 142W
  • 65W Processors: 88W
FACTORY CURRENT LIMIT FOR THERMALLY-CONSTRAINED VRMs (TDC)
  • 95W-105W Processors: 95A
  • 65W Processors: 60A
FACTORY CURRENT LIMIT FOR ELECTRICALLY-CONSTRAINED VRMs (EDC)
  • 95W-105W Processors: 140A
  • 65W Processors: 90A
TEMPERATURE LIMIT
  • 95C
STOCK VOLTAGE RANGE
  • 0.200V - 1.500V

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 08-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

One of the features of the board I bought it for is the PCI slots - which is for PCI card hardware and the specific reason for this board so a specific case use -----too bad the VRM are cruddy____

Would a 3900 X destroy the board?-severely shorten the life of the board----dis-appear in a puff of smoke from all the heat of the 3900 X? (if so an extactor fan will be needed as well)!!!

>>>>But Asus have put it on the support list -----if it was like dismal maybe Asus would have put a warning on their website

OK-how about the 3800 X?

Last edited by fra z; 08-02-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

From reading about Ryzen gen 1 CPU's had XFR (extended frequency range)__gen 2 had XFR 2 and now the GEN 3 chips have SBO (forgot what this is)_but its the next incarnation of the same thing....

With the Asus Prime X370-A board above with the idea is to keep the board long term for when it's needed and get the best "possible" CPU that can be used to it's potential without knackering the motherboard.

I wouldn't really want to go lower than GEN 2 2700 X - And I did read the power draw on 2700 X isn't huge but I've not used Ryzen yet so any helps advice with this is appreciated.

Would there be any hope of the 3700 X or 3800 X working out on this X370? or will it not be supported by AMD and then implemented by the motherboard makers in the form of BIOS updates to ease compatibility for the next version of SBO

Last edited by fra z; 08-03-2019 at 12:04 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK,

I've had a good look and the Ryzen 3700 X would be the best option as it's rated at 65 W - A concern would be whether the 3rd GEN 3700 X with its new features would be able to be used on an X370 motherboard.

The PCI would be used with PCI soundcards DSP based which is why I have this board - So any other comments welcome ---Would Asus have the bases covered to use this CPU flawlessly without clocking the nuts off it!!!

Below a comparison with 7700 K which shows good single threaded and good multi- which would mean a more versatile board/CPU

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00X/3647vs4043

Thanks

Last edited by fra z; 08-03-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
One of the features of the board I bought it for is the PCI slots - which is for PCI card hardware and the specific reason for this board so a specific case use -----too bad the VRM are cruddy____

Would a 3900 X destroy the board?-severely shorten the life of the board----dis-appear in a puff of smoke from all the heat of the 3900 X? (if so an extactor fan will be needed as well)!!!

>>>>But Asus have put it on the support list -----if it was like dismal maybe Asus would have put a warning on their website

OK-how about the 3800 X?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...u_decide_on_a/

Here's the Reddit thread, you can find the links to the VRM ratings of the motherboards in spreadsheet or image format. Your board is listed as requires airflow/borderline for the 3900x. It's not the heat from the 3900x that's the problem, it's the amount of power the VRM needs to handle for the 3900x. Like was mentioned by the above poster, your motherboard has a 4 phase VRM and inadequate cooling of said VRMs. If you want to go with a 3900x, you should have adequate ventilation for your case(lots of fans in push/pull), plus probably a fan pointed directly at the VRMs. 3700x and 3800x should be fine. The 3800x seems like a waste of money, so go with either the 3700x or 3900x. Besides PCIe Gen 4, these new CPUs operate just fine on the older boards with no loss of performance.

P.S. I wouldn't use UserBenchmark as a reliable source anymore. They've just recently changed their weights for CPU score to be super biased towards single core performance. There's been criticism from AMD community that they've just become Intel shills.

Last edited by Nonbiter; 08-04-2019 at 02:03 AM. Reason: UserBenchmark
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello Nonbiter,

With this board I'll stick with the 3700 X - @ 65 W - A good match for the board on paper.

A 3900 X will have to go onto another board - One without PCI slots and with fab--tastic VRM's heatsinks / etc....But I'll wait for 4th GEN to appear for that.

3700 X when prices drop a little - Ironically, it's a stronger CPU than the 2700 X (slightly) but more efficient (on paper)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in