3900x - Windows 10 1809 vs Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Testing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3900x - Windows 10 1809 vs Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Testing

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 317
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
3900x - Windows 10 1809 vs Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Testing

So I have an interesting one for you guys... I posted this in another thread, but it got buried, and I realized it probably wasn't the best place to post it anyways. I am hoping some of you find this interesting as well.

This was inspired by @Keith Myers . Him and I are over in the ASUS Forums, and we wanted to run Benchmarks that could be comparable across platforms. He is on Ubuntu 18.04, and I am on Windows 10. He is clocked 100Mhz Lower than I, but was SMOKING me in the same tests. This was across Geek Bench, and Blender Benchmark.

So I RUFUS'd Ubuntu on a USB, installed it to a Spare SSD, got all my drivers set up, then Ran my Benchmarks again, and I ended up pulling ahead. Its a DRASTIC Difference. I always knew Linux had an edge, I just didn't expect it to be so BIG.

Anyways, I have run Geek Bench 4 and Blender Benchmark. Same exact version, with the same Overclock, same everything, just One On Ubuntu, and One on Windows. Also Keep in mind, this is a pretty sanitized Windows Installation but there are still services and HWinfo running during the Benchmark run, but GeekBench/Blender is in High Priority mode to counter that a bit. Also keep in mind there could be a performance uplift to going to 1903 due to the AMD "Windows Scheduler Fix" supposedly in 1903. I plan to test that theory soon in a different post, so you might be able to get higher scores than I in Windows at the same settings, but I still thought this was a pretty interesting test...

Check out this MASSIVE difference, especially in the Interger Score...

4225Mhz All Core OC / 3800 Mhz CL16 Ram / 1900 Mhz IF - On Both Benchmarks

Windows 10 Enterprise 1809:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14279386

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14272021

Blender Benchmarks, Same Settings. Not as drastic of a difference, but still decent.

Windows 10 Enterprise 1809:
https://opendata.blender.org/benchma...f-8ee951d4128b

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS:
https://opendata.blender.org/benchma...c-47bc1b65d633

Thats a 18% Uplift for Ubuntu Over Windows in the Classroom Benchmark... Any Thoughts?

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
oreonutz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 542
Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
So I have an interesting one for you guys... I posted this in another thread, but it got buried, and I realized it probably wasn't the best place to post it anyways. I am hoping some of you find this interesting as well.



This was inspired by @Keith Myers . Him and I are over in the ASUS Forums, and we wanted to run Benchmarks that could be comparable across platforms. He is on Ubuntu 18.04, and I am on Windows 10. He is clocked 100Mhz Lower than I, but was SMOKING me in the same tests. This was across Geek Bench, and Blender Benchmark.



So I RUFUS'd Ubuntu on a USB, installed it to a Spare SSD, got all my drivers set up, then Ran my Benchmarks again, and I ended up pulling ahead. Its a DRASTIC Difference. I always knew Linux had an edge, I just didn't expect it to be so BIG.



Anyways, I have run Geek Bench 4 and Blender Benchmark. Same exact version, with the same Overclock, same everything, just One On Ubuntu, and One on Windows. Also Keep in mind, this is a pretty sanitized Windows Installation but there are still services and HWinfo running during the Benchmark run, but GeekBench/Blender is in High Priority mode to counter that a bit. Also keep in mind there could be a performance uplift to going to 1903 due to the AMD "Windows Scheduler Fix" supposedly in 1903. I plan to test that theory soon in a different post, so you might be able to get higher scores than I in Windows at the same settings, but I still thought this was a pretty interesting test...



Check out this MASSIVE difference, especially in the Interger Score...



4225Mhz All Core OC / 3800 Mhz CL16 Ram / 1900 Mhz IF - On Both Benchmarks



Windows 10 Enterprise 1809:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14279386



Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14272021



Blender Benchmarks, Same Settings. Not as drastic of a difference, but still decent.



Windows 10 Enterprise 1809:

https://opendata.blender.org/benchma...f-8ee951d4128b



Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS:

https://opendata.blender.org/benchma...c-47bc1b65d633



Thats a 18% Uplift for Ubuntu Over Windows in the Classroom Benchmark... Any Thoughts?
My friend, where csn I get the Rufus ubuntu usb to do the same? Can you submit ubuntu run scores on hwbot?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 317
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
My friend, where csn I get the Rufus ubuntu usb to do the same? Can you submit ubuntu run scores on hwbot?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Well this is going to sound funny, but I have never used HWbot, lol. I am sure I can though.

So go to this Link: http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubu...ktop-amd64.iso

Thats the Direct Download Link for Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Then Go To This Link: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/rel.../rufus-3.6.exe

Thats the Direct Download Link for Rufus.

Get yourself a USB Thumb Drive, at least 8GB is Preferable, make sure you are comfortable deleting everything on it, if you aren't, make sure you back everything up first. Then Follow these directions:

Spoiler!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 08-14-2019 at 04:35 AM.
oreonutz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 542
Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Thank you my brother, Ill do so tonight. Thanks alot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 317
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
Thank you my brother, Ill do so tonight. Thanks alot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
NP! Hope this guide works well for you!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
oreonutz is online now  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,986
Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
1809 isn't a good build
1709 was that I know of benchmarked the best.

But yes linux doesn't have near as much interference as windows 10
Just windows defender alone can be a real pain then you get into all the other resource sucking apps platform crap in the way

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off