Ryzen 2700x crashing while idle

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

Rep: 261 (Unique: 169)
Ryzen 2700x crashing while idle

For some odd reason it’s crashing while idle,
I read a post about someone else having the issue but can’t find it anymore,
Basically on a gigabyte x470 gaming 5,
PBO on Blk to 103 volts - 100 passes prime 95 cinnebench and hours of gaming no problem,
But when it’s idle and I return it always crashes... could this be a conflict with the power plan? Cool & quiet?

Do I need to add or remove some volts somewhere ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

So it crashed again last night while I was asleep so today,
I disabled C state. I’m not sure if the x470 gaming 5 has 2 or not, I disabled the only one I could see.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

Let it idle for several hours and it crashed again,
So this time I went into computer power management and made sure any type of power down going towards cpu was off.

Is there any other idle power save options in the gigabyte bios that anyone is aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I had an apu that did that. It turned out I was overclocking it too much... Pbo with bclk oc probably is too much for the cpu. If it's idle-ing it does not mean that sometimes cpu isn't spiking to the max pbo+bclk oc...

Sent from my HUAWEI CAN-L01 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

Turning off any idle or power saving features in windows seems to have done the trick. 15 hrs idle and no crash.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 200)
I had the same issue with a first gen Ryzen, also on a Gigabyte board. The fix was turn off the deep low power states in the BIOS (I wasn't running Windows). Hope this solution continues to hold.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I had the same issue with a first gen Ryzen, also on a Gigabyte board. The fix was turn off the deep low power states in the BIOS (I wasn't running Windows). Hope this solution continues to hold. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Is there something hidden beyond C State?
I’m not a fan of gigabyte bios, think I’m going back to Asus with my next purchase, unless a mid to high tier gigabyte or msi board is available at a steal of a price.

My board won’t even go into bios when I restart,
I have to shut down then switch the psu on and off then start the pc to enter the bios...
Started having the issue with the New F42E bios.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post
I’m not a fan of gigabyte bios, think I’m going back to Asus with my next purchase, unless a mid to high tier gigabyte or msi board is available at a steal of a price.

My board won’t even go into bios when I restart,
I have to shut down then switch the psu on and off then start the pc to enter the bios...
I think some boards break C state down to substates, like C1, C6. I can't remember whether the X370 board I had this happen with did or not. I just turned off C6 power saving and it stopped messing around and locking up when idle.

Modern boards refusing to go into the BIOS are now common due to UEFI implementations. You will need to go through the Windows menus for "reboot to system firmware" or something along those lines. This "hide the BIOS" thing is super annoying.

Getting into the BIOS should be something like:

(in Windows 10) Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart

That should allow boot into the BIOS without needing to hard power cycle the system. edit: you will need to do that every time you want to go into the BIOS.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
I Like Beer

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I’️m not a fan of gigabyte bios, think I’️m going back to Asus with my next purchase, unless a mid to high tier gigabyte or msi board is available at a steal of a price.

My board won’️t even go into bios when I restart,
I think some boards break C state down to substates, like C1, C6. I can't remember whether the X370 board I had this happen with did or not. I just turned off C6 power saving and it stopped messing around and locking up when idle.

Modern boards refusing to go into the BIOS are now common due to UEFI implementations. You will need to go through the Windows menus for "reboot to system firmware" or something along those lines. This "hide the BIOS" thing is super annoying.

Getting into the BIOS should be something like:

(in Windows 10) Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart

That should allow boot into the BIOS without needing to hard power cycle the system. edit: you will need to do that every time you want to go into the BIOS.
That stinks, it used to enter bios just fine before the last update.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

That stinks, it used to enter bios just fine before the last update.
I've found some UEFI boards will give me the chance. Others won't. My Asrock X370 board lets me into the BIOS without messing around. A Supermicro Z390 board at work won't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in