AMD 3900x frequency lock - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD 3900x frequency lock

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
AMD 3900x frequency lock

Hey all, this is an issue that has been happening to me on a few occasions, bur for which I have only been able to document once.

I recently built a system based around the Ryzen 9 3900X, and although I am extremely impressed with the performance, I am having some issues with CPU frequency that sometimes appear.

It is not an issue of boost frequency, as I am not worried about that (I am currently running the stock cooler, haven't found time to build the custom loop I having laying around). It has to do with physical cores locking themselves to an extremely low frequency, which visibly hinder performance. This has happened to me in the images attached, where the first two cores (0 and 1) are respectively locked in a range of 1.6ghz to 1.9ghz. The most intense this as ever happened was where 6 of 12 cpu cores were locked at 500mhz, which was terrible, but a restart fixed the issue.

I do intense CPU calculations for mathematics research and I need as many cores as I can in full speed for that. So when I noticed this I was worried. Hopefully this can get resolved.

Just some notes, I am running the latest BIOS on everything. And my motherboard is the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero. (no wifi). Here's a detailed parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ADR_Tech/saved/nxcL23

As a note, I do have the memory overclocked, but I have it as the motherboard default set it to, with the profiles the board had. Also note: this a kit of RAM that I verified is compatible with this motherboard and ryzen.

It may be the motherboard BIOS that has issues, or even possible the chip itself is faulty, hopefully you guys can help!

Just as a note:

Each run of my calculation starts with an initial case (0 valued) and is supposed to be the fastest running. With all cores enabled an full speed, it finishes in 10 seconds. With this slight hindrance it takes 101 seconds. And since my calculation length scales linearly you can imagine that a 10 times longer run time will be an issue if a certain calculation takes 2 hours.

Also, I have two different instances of this occurring, once without water cooling, and once with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.png
Views:	18
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	303466  

Name:	Capture3.png
Views:	8
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	303468  

Name:	AMDRyzenFrequencybug.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	303470  

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	13
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	303472  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3900x , Bug , frequency , issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in