Does PBO just not really do anything? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Does PBO just not really do anything?

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 54)
Quote: Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post
What are you using to check the clocks? I was seeing over 4.3GHz in HwInfo with AutoOC +200, it kept crashing during games though.
I'm on Linux so I'm using ZenPower driver + ZenMonitor to monitor PBO but Kernel Frequency reporting for manual OC. My absolute highest clock so far has been 4.178ghz

I'm also on latest Agesa 1.0.0.4 but idk if that make much difference

Toxic-DT
(20 items)
Toxic-LT
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
GPU
PNY XLR8 GTX 1080ti
RAM
Gskill Aegis
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 650w
Cooling
Cryorig H5
Cooling
Arctic Accelero Xtreme III
Case
Define R5
Operating System
Manjaro Budgie
Monitor
Dell S2415h
Keyboard
Azio MK Retro
Mouse
Logitech G302
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Audio
Monoprice Retro Heaphones
Audio
Monoprice Vocal Dynamic Mic
Audio
Edifier r980t
CPU
I7 2960xm
Motherboard
Dell M6600
GPU
Firepro m6100
RAM
16gb Hynix DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Eco3
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2
Hard Drive
Toshiba 128GB mSATA
Power Supply
Delta 240w PSU
Cooling
Stock m6600
Operating System
Manjaro Xfce
Monitor
1920x1080 Matte M6600 Screen
Keyboard
M6600 Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G302
Other
Wireless 375 Bluetooth
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Echoa; 11-21-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 86 (Unique: 66)
@OP
PBO Override with enhanced modes do work depending on Motherboard/BIOS ,now can you get 200Mhz above what is written on the box from PBO Override,that part is questionable.

My 2 x AMD 3600X could do 4525Mhz in light loads
My 3800X can do 4650Mhz in light loads

3800X boost up to 4650Mhz

3600X Cinebench up to 4500Mhz single core
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I think PBO is pretty much Hallock's marketing device that allowed AMD to avoid stamping the entire 3000 line with something unimpressive like operates at 4.1Ghz.

Don't get me wrong, I love these processors and am happy with mine. And even with the bulk of their work done at or under 4.1GHz (unless manually overclocked), they shine. But PBO was cooked up because this Ryzen generation isn't able to post significant flashy clock gains, and it's much harder to market the gamer cache and core density that are the actual improvements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Another update

So i moved back to 1.0.0.3ABBA Agesa and am getting much more consistent 4.2ghz across cores in single thread and roughly 3.97ghz on all core load but i have a suspicion that me not seeing anything over 4.2ghz might be Kernel related as Im on Manjaro linux.

Im building a kernel with the AMD CPUFreq patches here https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/11038795/ and going to test how things go with that non mainline driver performance wise

EDIT: So after repeatedly getting kernel panics with the AMD_CPUFreq driver i then attempted just running the system with no driver/governor to see what happens when the system is just left on its own.........and its always the same lol

but hey, at least im getting a consistent 4.2ghz single core and right about the 4ghz all core i wanted now

Toxic-DT
(20 items)
Toxic-LT
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
GPU
PNY XLR8 GTX 1080ti
RAM
Gskill Aegis
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 650w
Cooling
Cryorig H5
Cooling
Case
Define R5
Operating System
Manjaro Budgie
Monitor
Dell S2415h
Keyboard
Azio MK Retro
Mouse
Logitech G302
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Edifier r980t
CPU
I7 2960xm
Motherboard
Dell M6600
GPU
Firepro m6100
RAM
16gb Hynix DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Eco3
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2
Hard Drive
Toshiba 128GB mSATA
Power Supply
Delta 240w PSU
Cooling
Stock m6600
Operating System
Manjaro Xfce
Monitor
Keyboard
M6600 Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G302
Other
Wireless 375 Bluetooth
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Echoa; 11-22-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 42)
Just throwing my 2c in, amd ryzen master and PBO is a fantastic piece of technology. It really gives you the choice of what you want to do depending on app. You can set your parameters to various amount and it will pick and choose the OC for you. In terms of all core highest OC though, you won't be able to do it with PBO. You will have to do the old fashion bios or new fashion desktop all core OC.

Quick example of PBO would be, yo uset your EDC to high and when your apps are running single core can boost as high or higher than stated CPU speed (your setting dependent). And when you set it to medium/lower it'll lower that vcore and boost speed so you're basically "manually" setting your vcore and speed settings indirectly, all while in desktop and you can pick and choose depending on your application.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by connectwise View Post
Just throwing my 2c in, amd ryzen master and PBO is a fantastic piece of technology. It really gives you the choice of what you want to do depending on app. You can set your parameters to various amount and it will pick and choose the OC for you. In terms of all core highest OC though, you won't be able to do it with PBO. You will have to do the old fashion bios or new fashion desktop all core OC.

Quick example of PBO would be, yo uset your EDC to high and when your apps are running single core can boost as high or higher than stated CPU speed (your setting dependent). And when you set it to medium/lower it'll lower that vcore and boost speed so you're basically "manually" setting your vcore and speed settings indirectly, all while in desktop and you can pick and choose depending on your application.
Im on Linux so no Ryzen master or any of that jazz for me

Toxic-DT
(20 items)
Toxic-LT
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
GPU
PNY XLR8 GTX 1080ti
RAM
Gskill Aegis
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Intel 545s
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Hard Drive
Sandisk x100
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 650w
Cooling
Cryorig H5
Cooling
Case
Define R5
Operating System
Manjaro Budgie
Monitor
Dell S2415h
Keyboard
Azio MK Retro
Mouse
Logitech G302
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Edifier r980t
CPU
I7 2960xm
Motherboard
Dell M6600
GPU
Firepro m6100
RAM
16gb Hynix DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Eco3
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2
Hard Drive
Toshiba 128GB mSATA
Power Supply
Delta 240w PSU
Cooling
Stock m6600
Operating System
Manjaro Xfce
Monitor
Keyboard
M6600 Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G302
Other
Wireless 375 Bluetooth
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Okay, I've never been a fan of the mobo, bios or whatever doing the overclock on my processor as I am old school and like to do so myself. However, when I noticed another PBO thread in this forum and decided to see what it does and I was a little surprised. During stock operation my Ryzen 9 3900X would do about 4Ghz all core during full loads. Now when I set PBO with the x10 scalar and setting the EDC and TTP and all other limits to where I want it I'm seeing 4.2Ghz all core dropping to 4.15Ghz all core with the Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABBA if I use the 1.0.0.4 Agesa the clocks drop about 0.025Ghz which is not much but visible in tests.

So in my opinion PBO does a pretty decent job. I mean none of my manual overclocks would give me Prime95 small FFT stability where as with PBO it can run 24/7 Prime 95 Small fft at 4Ghz
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Echoa View Post
Im on Linux so no Ryzen master or any of that jazz for me
You can still set your parameters in bios that give you the OC you want.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I've done a lot of PBO testing, with all Agesa versions on my 3900X.

I arrived at the conclusion that, on my system at least, PBO is not worth the heat and power consumption it generates vs the performance gain over stock operation. I can dial a CCX overclock which is better than PBO in almost all areas: Multicore performance gains, heat and power consumption. For no AVX workloads, you even can match the slight single core performance you lose by going all core or ccx overclock, and gaining a good multicore performance in the process.

Best all sustained core clocks I've seen on my cpu with PBO in AVX situations is 4.15Ghz, and it depends a lot on temperatures, so it is not constant. By contrast, you can set an all core of 4.25Ghz with less generated heat at lower than PBO voltages, with no variance due to temperature fluctuations.

The algorithm commanding PBO is very temperature dependant. To get increased clocks over stock operation, PBO increases voltage, which in turn increases temps and power. The increased temps lower the clocks, and the cycle begins again. It's a chiken or egg situation mostly. With a manual OC all of this is not happening, you only care about your cooling solution.

PBO would be good for those people who want a little more performance than stock, with minimum user effort, and forget about stability testing a manually overclocked system. This user friendly feature comes at the cost of heat/power consumption vs. performance gained over stock tough.

Since you can set a ccx or all core overclock in desktop with Ryzen Master without reboot needed, I think the best way to get increased performance on Zen2 is not to use PBO at all, just leave the cpu at stock values on BIOS, and set your desired overclock on Ryzen Master when you need or want more performance.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 PM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 249 (Unique: 214)
Quote: Originally Posted by nangu View Post
I've done a lot of PBO testing, with all Agesa versions on my 3900X.

I arrived at the conclusion that, on my system at least, PBO is not worth the heat and power consumption it generates vs the performance gain over stock operation. I can dial a CCX overclock which is better than PBO in almost all areas: Multicore performance gains, heat and power consumption. For no AVX workloads, you even can match the slight single core performance you lose by going all core or ccx overclock, and gaining a good multicore performance in the process.

Best all sustained core clocks I've seen on my cpu with PBO in AVX situations is 4.15Ghz, and it depends a lot on temperatures, so it is not constant. By contrast, you can set an all core of 4.25Ghz with less generated heat at lower than PBO voltages, with no variance due to temperature fluctuations.

The algorithm commanding PBO is very temperature dependant. To get increased clocks over stock operation, PBO increases voltage, which in turn increases temps and power. The increased temps lower the clocks, and the cycle begins again. It's a chiken or egg situation mostly. With a manual OC all of this is not happening, you only care about your cooling solution.

PBO would be good for those people who want a little more performance than stock, with minimum user effort, and forget about stability testing a manually overclocked system. This user friendly feature comes at the cost of heat/power consumption vs. performance gained over stock tough.

Since you can set a ccx or all core overclock in desktop with Ryzen Master without reboot needed, I think the best way to get increased performance on Zen2 is not to use PBO at all, just leave the cpu at stock values on BIOS, and set your desired overclock on Ryzen Master when you need or want more performance.

I’m more of a set it and forget it guy. And PBO has given me higher lightly threaded clocks than I can achieve on all cores.

So it’s the best of both worlds.

Plus going into ryzen master every time you “need” the oc would get old pretty quick.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
Sapphire Reference RX 5700
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in