Moving from 2700x to 3800x, OC advices - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Moving from 2700x to 3800x, OC advices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 701
Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by nangu View Post
I fully agree with you. Even more, you can achieve a CCX overclock which can yields very close average clocks at ST workloads, and way higher multicore performance than stock or PBO+, at roughly the same or slightly increased temps.

The highest core clock we can see on HWinfo means nothing. The only way to compare is by performance, or average sustained clock speeds. My 3900X runs 4350 Mhz max single core average with PBO on Manual, even if I can read 4650Mhz as peak in HWinfo. Also, if the low threads workload, or game for instance, is utilizing four or more threads, you will see a decrease in average sustained clocks due the way the PB algorithm works, while an all core or ccx overclock don't.

PB, or PBO+, relies heavily on die temperature. A 5°c variation in ambient temp can produce a lot of variance in clocks and resulting performance. Unless you have a really very good cooling solution, and/or a really good binned CPU, stock and/or PBO is not better than a good tuned all core or ccx overclock on these Ryzens. This is not the same situation anymore as with Ryzen 2000 series, where PBO was in most situations better than a manual oc.

Below is an example of a ccx oc I dialed on my 3900X. For reference, my best SC score on CPUz with PBO was 547, at the same temps. I can increase the first CCD to 4450Mhz at the same voltage, stable if I only want to play games.

Anyway, for the most use cases, stock or PBO is 100% fine, but you can extract more to these Ryzens 3000 with manual oc if you want.
I am with you. This issue I have with running PBO or stock is that the highest boosting cores are not always the ones being used for single core. I tested my system stock and the highest CPUz SC score I got was 550 with multicore sitting around 8400 to 8500 but when I run my 4.4Ghz manual OC (have not even played with CCX clocks yet) I get as can be seen in my previous post 547 in SC and 9000 in MC. I mean seriously which one would I chose

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,241
Rep: 344 (Unique: 243)
Ryzen master should have per core or complex OC and marks which cores are best too. You can either push the auto OC on it or go full manual but that may result in lower single thread clock.
JackCY is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:19 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
nangu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 73
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
I am with you. This issue I have with running PBO or stock is that the highest boosting cores are not always the ones being used for single core. I tested my system stock and the highest CPUz SC score I got was 550 with multicore sitting around 8400 to 8500 but when I run my 4.4Ghz manual OC (have not even played with CCX clocks yet) I get as can be seen in my previous post 547 in SC and 9000 in MC. I mean seriously which one would I chose

It's the same to me. Windows scheduler insists to spread single core workloads between my best two cores on CCD0, and my all worst core overall, which sits on CCD1.

On winter, I had 551/8400 with PBO, now I lost performance (as per my previous post) due to almost summer here and ambient temps 10°C hotter. I don't like at all this PB/PBO behaviour, it relies a lot on temps and your cooling solution. I prefer more stable performance all the time.
nangu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wsarahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 419
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Guys i ned a little help again

My 3800x arrived

With PBO i cant get a good score at Cinebench for example, something about 4800/4900 and i can see at Ryzen Master that the cores goes max at 4.250 full load running the test

I tried manual OC for yesterday all day long and got a sweet spot at 4.4 1.337 vcore LLC Turbo and VSoc 1.1

With this config i can get 5200/5300 at Cinebench and almost the same temps with PBO

Now i have 2 questions

Why my PBO is so low? And can i stay with this manual settings as it seems better at performance? Even at single core it`s doing better, this vcore and all other configs are safe for 24/7 usage?

Tks again friends
wsarahan is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
nangu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 73
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by wsarahan View Post
Guys i ned a little help again

My 3800x arrived

With PBO i cant get a good score at Cinebench for example, something about 4800/4900 and i can see at Ryzen Master that the cores goes max at 4.250 full load running the test

I tried manual OC for yesterday all day long and got a sweet spot at 4.4 1.337 vcore LLC Turbo and VSoc 1.1

With this config i can get 5200/5300 at Cinebench and almost the same temps with PBO

Now i have 2 questions

Why my PBO is so low? And can i stay with this manual settings as it seems better at performance? Even at single core it`s doing better, this vcore and all other configs are safe for 24/7 usage?

Tks again friends
What Agesa version are your Bios based on? I saw PBO's best results with Agesa 1.0.0.4 based Bios on my Aorus Master, but it is at stock performance expenses, so I think Gigabyte tuned the Bios for lower stock performance, and you regain that performance with PBO, showing it do something now...

Anyway, PB2 and PBO relies a lot on temperatures. What are your temp after a couple CB r20 runs? Testing my system, I get PBO do something when temps are below 70ºC. Past that threshold, sustained clocks are the same as stock. I run PBO + OC, 5x scalar and 100Mhz offset, and a negative 0.1v vCore offset to low temps. PBO on Auto, or any form of PBO with stock voltages, does nothing for me.

About core voltage, there is no official statement which is the max safe voltage for these 7nm processors. I try to not exceed the voltages I see when running my cpu at stock, all auto settings. For instance, I tune vCore and VRM LLC to not exceed 1.35v at all core workloads, and at the same time to stay as low as possible for idle and low load or single threaded tasks. The resulting clocks at this voltage will depend heavily on the silicon lottery, and your cooling solution. My aim is to not exceed 85ºC at full load when all core OC.
nangu is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wsarahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 419
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by nangu View Post
What Agesa version are your Bios based on? I saw PBO's best results with Agesa 1.0.0.4 based Bios on my Aorus Master, but it is at stock performance expenses, so I think Gigabyte tuned the Bios for lower stock performance, and you regain that performance with PBO, showing it do something now...

Anyway, PB2 and PBO relies a lot on temperatures. What are your temp after a couple CB r20 runs? Testing my system, I get PBO do something when temps are below 70ºC. Past that threshold, sustained clocks are the same as stock. I run PBO + OC, 5x scalar and 100Mhz offset, and a negative 0.1v vCore offset to low temps. PBO on Auto, or any form of PBO with stock voltages, does nothing for me.

About core voltage, there is no official statement which is the max safe voltage for these 7nm processors. I try to not exceed the voltages I see when running my cpu at stock, all auto settings. For instance, I tune vCore and VRM LLC to not exceed 1.35v at all core workloads, and at the same time to stay as low as possible for idle and low load or single threaded tasks. The resulting clocks at this voltage will depend heavily on the silicon lottery, and your cooling solution. My aim is to not exceed 85ºC at full load when all core OC.
Hi

The Agesa is 1.0.0.4, my temps is something about 72/74 after some runs at Cinebench, using PBO or Manual OC

I tried 5x scalar and did nothing as well, but never tried the +100mh offset, i can try that

Gaming my temps never goes more 65 for example in both cases as well

CPU: 4770K @ 4.6 1.30vcore
MOBO: Gygabite GAZ87X-OC FORCE
RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz G Skill
GPU: 2X Galax GTX 980 TI HOF LN2
STORAGE: SSD SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB
CASE: Cosmos 2
PSU: Corsair AX1500I
SO: Windows10 PRO X64
wsarahan is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:44 PM
I Like Beer
 
Hokies83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roanoke VA.
Posts: 7,729
Rep: 261 (Unique: 169)
Quote: Originally Posted by wsarahan View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by nangu View Post
What Agesa version are your Bios based on? I saw PBO's best results with Agesa 1.0.0.4 based Bios on my Aorus Master, but it is at stock performance expenses, so I think Gigabyte tuned the Bios for lower stock performance, and you regain that performance with PBO, showing it do something now...

Anyway, PB2 and PBO relies a lot on temperatures. What are your temp after a couple CB r20 runs? Testing my system, I get PBO do something when temps are below 70ºC. Past that threshold, sustained clocks are the same as stock. I run PBO + OC, 5x scalar and 100Mhz offset, and a negative 0.1v vCore offset to low temps. PBO on Auto, or any form of PBO with stock voltages, does nothing for me.

About core voltage, there is no official statement which is the max safe voltage for these 7nm processors. I try to not exceed the voltages I see when running my cpu at stock, all auto settings. For instance, I tune vCore and VRM LLC to not exceed 1.35v at all core workloads, and at the same time to stay as low as possible for idle and low load or single threaded tasks. The resulting clocks at this voltage will depend heavily on the silicon lottery, and your cooling solution. My aim is to not exceed 85ºC at full load when all core OC.
Hi

The Agesa is 1.0.0.4, my temps is something about 72/74 after some runs at Cinebench, using PBO or Manual OC

I tried 5x scalar and did nothing as well, but never tried the +100mh offset, i can try that

Gaming my temps never goes more 65 for example in both cases as well
Open side of case and run cooler fan at 100%
Set blk to 102 and try again
Hokies83 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off