Worst FX-8320 ever to be made! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Worst FX-8320 ever to be made!

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Going from first post, there is no way this is the "worst" 8320.

an H55 would be LUCKY at best to cool anything past 1.5 volts, yet you have 1.67 volts in your tests.

I think this is actually a motherboard issue, and not a cpu issue.

A good quality AM3+ motherboard is what you need, with a 990FX chipset.
See, that's kinda what I'm thinking. Here is a run I just did. 21c ambient (70F) after running for about 2 hours or so. I'm 17.25c UNDER the thermal margin with IBT. And I do agree, I figured this H55 would be good to 1.45-1.47v so I'm not sure how I'm getting away with 1.608v running IBT lol.

As it sits now (and the run posted below) That's with two thermaltake 120mm fans push/pull at max RPM on the H55 radiator, two Corsair H70 fans exhausting air out of the case (side panel) running off the 5v line in $20 case...

What would be the odds 1.608v really equals about 1.408v? Because at 1.6v I would think I would be pushing even a hardcore water setup. 1.408v would seem realistic given the temps yes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	315238  

Last edited by Ahnt; 12-31-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 AM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 108 (Unique: 86)
Are you running with turbo mode enabled? I see a lot of clock changes, and see you are attempting a 4.8ghz clock

Here is how I would set a "foundation" of sorts.

hit the BIOS, disable your power saving stuff, like C6 and C3 states. Disable turbo.

Set cpu to 20x multi and northbridge to 12x multi, for a core 4ghz and NB of 2400mhz.

Set ram to rated speed, manually adjusting clocks as necessary.

Set system voltages as follows

cpu 1.4v
cpu-nb (northbridge) 1.3v
ram at spec + 0.05v (if rated 1.5, now 1.55)

set vddc (cpu pll) to default 2.5v

set nb chip voltage to 1.1v
set pcie 1.8v to 1.85v to test. If system acts goofy, set back to default 1.8v

set HTT to 1.25v I believe default is 1.1 or 1.15

Do a few test runs of intel burn test. you can right click the start button and click xtreme stress mode.

How do things look after doing this?

Now the pain in the ass part if this works for you. drop voltages. start with cpu voltages. then once you find a spot where it hates intelburn test, add a little voltage, and write it down.

Then drop cpu-nb voltage. This is a bummer to test, it will require a couple days of proper testing to do this, due to how long proper memory testing takes.

Once you nail a "lowest voltage possible" 4ghz cpu and 2400mhz northrbidge, post the voltages it took to stabilize, as far as BIOS reads and hwinfo64 reads.

Once I have that baseline, I can help you dial it in more.

Feel free to take a snapshot of the BIOS screens. If you have a spare usb flash drive, format it to fat32, most of the amd based am3/am3+ motherboards supported a snapshot feature that saves to a usb drive. If present, it usually snaps only what you see on the screen (example, will not snap the entire overclocking tab, you will have to scroll down)

And finally, please get rid of AMD Overdrive. It is buggy, slow, inaccurate, and can cause random problems when it is open. Utilize the freely available HWinfo64. The guy who created it is on this very forum as well, for any potential questions with that software
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Just for cooling reference, a H110i cannot handle my FX 9590 at 1.625 volts. and a Noctua D15 with both fans operating cannot handle that voltage either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Are you running with turbo mode enabled? I see a lot of clock changes, and see you are attempting a 4.8ghz clock

Here is how I would set a "foundation" of sorts.

hit the BIOS, disable your power saving stuff, like C6 and C3 states. Disable turbo.

Set cpu to 20x multi and northbridge to 12x multi, for a core 4ghz and NB of 2400mhz.

Set ram to rated speed, manually adjusting clocks as necessary.

Set system voltages as follows

cpu 1.4v
cpu-nb (northbridge) 1.3v
ram at spec + 0.05v (if rated 1.5, now 1.55)

set vddc (cpu pll) to default 2.5v

set nb chip voltage to 1.1v
set pcie 1.8v to 1.85v to test. If system acts goofy, set back to default 1.8v

set HTT to 1.25v I believe default is 1.1 or 1.15

Do a few test runs of intel burn test. you can right click the start button and click xtreme stress mode.

How do things look after doing this?

Now the pain in the ass part if this works for you. drop voltages. start with cpu voltages. then once you find a spot where it hates intelburn test, add a little voltage, and write it down.

Then drop cpu-nb voltage. This is a bummer to test, it will require a couple days of proper testing to do this, due to how long proper memory testing takes.

Once you nail a "lowest voltage possible" 4ghz cpu and 2400mhz northrbidge, post the voltages it took to stabilize, as far as BIOS reads and hwinfo64 reads.

Once I have that baseline, I can help you dial it in more.

Feel free to take a snapshot of the BIOS screens. If you have a spare usb flash drive, format it to fat32, most of the amd based am3/am3+ motherboards supported a snapshot feature that saves to a usb drive. If present, it usually snaps only what you see on the screen (example, will not snap the entire overclocking tab, you will have to scroll down)

And finally, please get rid of AMD Overdrive. It is buggy, slow, inaccurate, and can cause random problems when it is open. Utilize the freely available HWinfo64. The guy who created it is on this very forum as well, for any potential questions with that software
Okay, I'll get a good base line tonight and post some pics. That pic posted was with C1, C6 and CNC enabled. No turbo mode. Yeah AOD was just used for temp margin and rough tuning CPU VID. Changing the CPU multiplier just crashes the GPU driver.

post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 03:46 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Yep, sounds like AMD Overdrive. it is a shame no one ever attempted to make that program worth the while. Actually, that is a trend for a lot of "oem" provided software.

Trust me, HWinfo64 is the best program for finding out information on your setup!

https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

^ ^ ^
This is the program I recommend for checking memory and northbridge stability. Run equal amounts of ram up to 3000mb in multiple instances (just double click program shortcut again).

Run 7, so you have a spare core for internet browsing or whatever. Try to use at least 50% of your ram.

At the bottom of the memtest window, you will see a percentage that passed. Let it run until it says at least 100% for short runs of stability. Once you find your wanted speeds, let it run until it says at least 600% (in my opinion, some people prefere 1000%)
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Wow, okay. So I've had some issues the past few days, and it came to a head today. I've been having some random issues the last two days of basically my house browning out on just a few circuits. Nothing major just a dim light occasionally and the "did I just see that light flicker?" moments. This morning I wake up to half my house flickering and a lot of appliances were not working.

I call the utility company and go to work, thinking it might have been a transformer issue. I get a call about two hours into work that one of my legs on my meter box was fried... Long story short, I source the parts, fix it myself and have the utility company reconnect me.

Everything is back to normal now but I can't help but wondering, did the FX cause this, lol?

I would assume the PSU or breaker would have tripped / blown but stranger things have happened. The last time I ran it, I was basically suicide running with a 2x8 kit at 2400ish mhz, 5ghz at close to 1.8v and running on the ragged edge of thermal shut down.

What do you guys think, FX pulled so much power it took a leg out or just pure coincidence?

post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahnt View Post
Wow, okay. So I've had some issues the past few days, and it came to a head today. I've been having some random issues the last two days of basically my house browning out on just a few circuits. Nothing major just a dim light occasionally and the "did I just see that light flicker?" moments. This morning I wake up to half my house flickering and a lot of appliances were not working.

I call the utility company and go to work, thinking it might have been a transformer issue. I get a call about two hours into work that one of my legs on my meter box was fried... Long story short, I source the parts, fix it myself and have the utility company reconnect me.

Everything is back to normal now but I can't help but wondering, did the FX cause this, lol?

I would assume the PSU or breaker would have tripped / blown but stranger things have happened. The last time I ran it, I was basically suicide running with a 2x8 kit at 2400ish mhz, 5ghz at close to 1.8v and running on the ragged edge of thermal shut down.

What do you guys think, FX pulled so much power it took a leg out or just pure coincidence?
I would move if it did - lol.

No way a 750 watt psu could pull enough to do that on it's own - fun coincidence

Ryzen Shine!
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts
Motherboard
MSI X370 Titanium
GPU
Fury
GPU
Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 pro
Optical Drive
Hp 1260 I
Power Supply
PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer
Cooling
liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 390 block - 3/4 OD tubing
Case
Thermaltake P5
Operating System
Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit
Monitor
24" hp @ 1900x1200
Keyboard
Logitech G19
Mouse
Logitech MX 518
Mouse
fUnc industries
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
I would move if it did - lol.

No way a 750 watt psu could pull enough to do that on it's own - fun coincidence
Oh yes, I would have to start packing.

Yeah I figured I would have just popped the board or PSU. The likely hood that the FX caused the issue is unlikely, but.... You never know lol.

post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 06:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahnt View Post
Oh yes, I would have to start packing.

Yeah I figured I would have just popped the board or PSU. The likely hood that the FX caused the issue is unlikely, but.... You never know lol.
Never say never when electricity is involved but that would be pretty weird.

I've nearly been killed several times by electricity , probably should have been a couple times... I'll not ask too many questions....lol.

Ryzen Shine!
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts
Motherboard
MSI X370 Titanium
GPU
Fury
GPU
Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 pro
Optical Drive
Hp 1260 I
Power Supply
PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer
Cooling
liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 390 block - 3/4 OD tubing
Case
Thermaltake P5
Operating System
Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit
Monitor
24" hp @ 1900x1200
Keyboard
Logitech G19
Mouse
Logitech MX 518
Mouse
fUnc industries
▲ hide details ▲

post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 990 (Unique: 751)
I had a 8310 that did much better than your 8320. Dont forget the NB voltage is very important (ended up 1.2v the video showed 1.25)

I didn't show in video but of course leave core performance boost on auto and turn on HPC

R7 [email protected] XFX rx5700 DD (XT vbios) https://valid.x86.fr/ed8tpx
R5 [email protected] MSI rx5700 Mech OC https://valid.x86.fr/hersi6
R7 [email protected] MSI 980ti https://valid.x86.fr/jxeld9

Backup GPU 1070ti
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
XFX 5700 DD Ultra (XT Thicc II Vbios)
RAM
G.Skill Neo 32gb cas 16 RGB
Hard Drive
Adata SX8100 1TB NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung 1tb m.2
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3tb
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050x
Cooling
Gammax 400
Case
Fractal Meshify C
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600 4.3ghz 1.2v
Motherboard
MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU
MSI rx5700 Mech OC
RAM
Patriot Viper 16gb 3600mhz (2x8gb)
Hard Drive
Intel 660P 1TB NVMe
Hard Drive
WD 3tB Blue
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Corsair 750watt semi-modular
Cooling
Wraith Prism (2700X stock)
Case
Deepcool Matrexx 70
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
G.Skill RGB 16gb 3200mhz
Hard Drive
WD SN750 500gb NVMe
Power Supply
Rosewill HIVE 750w semi-modular
Cooling
Gammax 400 + UpHere RGB Fan
Case
Phanteks P300 White
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by CravinR1; 01-10-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in