Need advice about PC Build for audio production - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Need advice about PC Build for audio production

post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 06:47 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 595 (Unique: 464)
Quote: Originally Posted by madno View Post
Latency base configuration is done now.

With respect to this thread my first questions was, can this Threadripper platform provide low latency in idle?

For me I got the answer: yes.

But I also wanted to know what causes the spike once the system is idle for some time.

Answer: Core parking as part of the power saving.

I used this exercise to get an idea of how the "Windows Performance Toolkit" works. Now I can say those tools eliminate the guesswork. LatencyMon tells you that you have an issue, but the tool kit gives you hints where and why.
Yes with the new stuff in W10 all kinds of stuff going on in the background,usually when it is not supposed to.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
:-) agreed, maybe those power saving features are a good idea but only if they work as intended (luckily in my case they seem to do that).

At least I learned a lot about my system and the tools to analyze it.

And as all this was academic so far. I installed Cubase loaded the demo project "Sunrise" kindly provided by Marika Takeuchi and let the system calculate the song at 96 KHz with 96 sample buffer size while listening to it. And, yea, no cracks, no drop outs, no nothing. It just worked (but I don't have a clue what I am doing here with respect to Cubase).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latency_09.png
Views:	4
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	326264  

post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 65 (Unique: 45)
:-) agreed, maybe those power saving features are a good idea but only if they work as intended (luckily in my case they seem to do that).

At least I learned a lot about my system and the tools to analyze it.

And as all this was academic so far. I installed Cubase loaded the demo project "Sunrise" kindly provided by Marika Takeuchi and let the system calculate the song at 96 KHz with 96 sample buffer size while listening to it. And, yea, no cracks, no drop outs, no nothing. It just worked (but I don't have a clue what I am doing here with respect to Cubase).
Lol! Don't feel bad, I am audio Engineer by Trade, graduated with my BA in Audio Engineering in 2005, and still don't have a clue on what I am doing in Cubase, lol! I mean at some point one DAE Suite is pretty much the same as the other, but I live and die by my keyboard shortcuts, its how I work so quickly, and when I leave Pro Tools, that all goes out the Window. What I love is that no matter what Studio I am in, whether its Mac or PC Based, all I have to do is switch out CTRL for Command, and all my shortcuts work, its usually a small minute or 2 adjustment period then its like riding a bike. Put me on Logic or Cubase, yeah I can muddle my way through it, but I'll be complaining the entire time.

Anyways, great exercise, and awesome build!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 02-13-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
@oreonutz

I am sure you now very well what you are doing in Cubase ;-)

By the way, it were your posts in this thread that gave me an additional confirmation to look deeper into the latency topic and end my "lurker mode".

Even though I love forums for the sheer amount of opinions and information, I am often irritated by those "brand A is crap use brand B" statements that mostly come with no details. Being a German I might have some kind of engeneering gene in my DNA even though not being educated in a technical profession. So, my brain forced me to dig deeper. I was aware that the first two Ryzen incarnations had not been fully matured regarding patform optimization and vendor integration (remember the ASUS Extreme board thread where that super expensive board had a multitude of issues with Threadripper 1). But following all the reviews and in depth feeback about Zen2 I came to the conclusion that this time AMD got it right.

But, a PC for 3D creation, rendering and playing with a DAW is not something I would consider a plug and play thing. I think the BIOS settings, on board components and Windows settings are made to meet the demand of as many average users as possible. So, it made sense to check what can be optimized. In the end I have a machine that is not breaking any benchmark records but seems to be stable as a rock for my usage (by the way I need to test a game - many years passed since I installed one).

Had a look at your system and the following came to my mind:

"I stand strong, made for duty not for beauty - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:05 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 65 (Unique: 45)
@oreonutz

I am sure you now very well what you are doing in Cubase ;-)

By the way, it were your posts in this thread that gave me an additional confirmation to look deeper into the latency topic and end my "lurker mode".

Even though I love forums for the sheer amount of opinions and information, I am often irritated by those "brand A is crap use brand B" statements that mostly come with no details. Being a German I might have some kind of engeneering gene in my DNA even though not being educated in a technical profession. So, my brain forced me to dig deeper. I was aware that the first two Ryzen incarnations had not been fully matured regarding patform optimization and vendor integration (remember the ASUS Extreme board thread where that super expensive board had a multitude of issues with Threadripper 1). But following all the reviews and in depth feeback about Zen2 I came to the conclusion that this time AMD got it right.

But, a PC for 3D creation, rendering and playing with a DAW is not something I would consider a plug and play thing. I think the BIOS settings, on board components and Windows settings are made to meet the demand of as many average users as possible. So, it made sense to check what can be optimized. In the end I have a machine that is not breaking any benchmark records but seems to be stable as a rock for my usage (by the way I need to test a game - many years passed since I installed one).

Had a look at your system and the following came to my mind:

"I stand strong, made for duty not for beauty - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
I appreciate the kind words! Am super glad we inspired you to investigate those claims further yourself. You taught me a few things in the process, so I love how things like this come full circle when people of good faith come together in a community like OCN to share knowledge. So awesome!

I 100 Percent agree with you about the usefulness of a platform. It comes down to reliability, and whether or not a platform has matured enough to be able to be considered for Professional work. The Computer and platform itself needs to get out of the way of the user, and the Zen2 Based Platforms (IE, Ryzen 3000, Threadripper 3000, and Rome) All our the first AMD Products in almost exactly a decade to do this.

I really do appreciate your words, and your investigation into the subject. I hope your Rig stays out of your way, and helps excel your work. Its been since October on my Birthday since I played a game myself. If you want to play a good single player game, and like the older Bethesda based RPG's that they don't really do any more, than I highly suggest a little game called "The Outer Worlds" by the same studio that worked on "Fallout New Vegas". The Game is amazing, I bought itself for my Birthday on Oct 3rd this last year, and ended up taking off as much time as I could that month to play and beat that game. Such a good time. And finally they announced DLC for it, should come out sometime later this year. I am waiting for that to drop to jump back in. I have to be careful with Games, I have an an addictive personality type, so I tend to only allow myself to play when I have a few days off with little to do, which rarely happens these days... Anyways, Would 10 out of 10, Highly Recommend that game for a single player diversion!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 02-13-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in