Why you should undervolt your Ryzen 3000 - Part II - Page 14 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why you should undervolt your Ryzen 3000 - Part II

post #131 of 134 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX + Ryzen 5 3600(fourth week of 2020)
All cores locked at 4.2GHz voltage up to +- 1.170V
Crucial Ballistix BL8G30C15U4B OC to 3733MHz

No WHEA errors or crashes even with Prime95 blend test with AVX2 enabled
There is a VDroop because the LLC=5(moderate)
For MSI LLC 1 = strong and LCC 8 = weak

The cooler is Akasa Venom Medusa, but only with the center fan
https://www.enostech.com/akasa-venom...cooler-review/
Lapped the cooler plate because it was convex
https://www.igorslab.de/en/intel-vs-...n-9-or-core-9/

For 4.3GHz needs a lot more voltage, 1.250V or a bit more, but
also produces a lot more heat, 4.2GHz is COOL and QUIET!

I am using a different way to achieve this...

Now with MAX voltage set to 1.150V

Last edited by Pictus; 07-31-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Just some questions for anyone that may have any idea or has the same motherboard as me:

Motherboard is the Asus ROG Strix B550-F (WiFi) with the latest BIOS (Version 0805 as of writing).

I can't for the life of me find the following settings mentioned in the first post. Specifically, the EDC, TDC, and PPT settings, I'm not sure what "PBO handoff" is, but the other PBO options you mentioned are on (scaler 1x, autoOC of +200)

I was able to find everything else in the main post, VCore offset of -0.05 and other settings were applied yesterday due to the BIOS and power plan recommendations here (Wasn't able to find "PPC Adjustment = PState 0" in the following post either): https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...e_like_1usmus/

The above Reddit post is what eventually lead me to the post here to get temps even lower, without dropping performance all that much (if at all), and by default the board doesn't have PPO enabled. Temps are noticeably better combining the two, haven't done benchmarks with both combined yet (tomorrow sometime), so we'll see how that goes.

Intention is to test with both sets of BIOS settings enabled, no idea if the BIOS settings in the Reddit post counteract the benefits/intentions of what's in the main post here at all, and test with both the power profile linked in that post and with the Windows 10 Ultimate Performance Power Plan (What I was using prior to a forced upgrade from my 6700k).

Edit: Another thought occurs, I've set the SOC LLC to "Normal," which I assume is Level 1 (there are 7 levels), it's mentioned in the main post that this should be set to high, I have my RAM's XMP profile enabled, so does it could as "Overclocking" in this context, and thus I should set it to "high" (If yes, not sure which of the 7 levels would be considered high).

Last edited by Iriodus; 08-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.
post #133 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I have done this. I needed to set the CBS limits before my AMD pbo settings would take. I use 230,230,300w like Buildzoid suggests. I use +200Mhz overclock and x4 scaler. I had to correct my early underclocking as my chip was not stable, I needed less undervolt and LLC to medium to compensate. This is up to about 75'c where beyond is untested, I think I have limited temperature to 76'c and only on the hottest days does it get there. I found x264 to be a good stability test also, the scan from Paragon hard drive manager (I assume single core) was crashing (hence the increase LLC). In HWiNFO I max out vcore @ 1.48v (shaved 0.02v off my default max). Cooling is not bad, have X72 & 3 Noctua 3k rpm fans (only 100% at 38'c water temperature (I use liquidctl not CAM)).

@Iriodus , the "handoff" is because there are two sections (AMD CBS & motherboard manufacturer) concerning advance overclocking. There is overlap of settings; even between these settings and the main "tweaker" page for Gigabyte.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by masteratarms View Post
@Iriodus , the "handoff" is because there are two sections (AMD CBS & motherboard manufacturer) concerning advance overclocking. There is overlap of settings; even between these settings and the main "tweaker" page for Gigabyte.
Ah, there is an option to enable PBO in the overclocking section, so I just need to enable it there too I take it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in