1900 FCLK on 3950x - How I did it - - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

1900 FCLK on 3950x - How I did it -

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by elmntfrlif View Post
That is awesome! Props for having the will power to go through with that! What compound did you use to polish the silicon dies?
I used the blue polishing paste from wolfcraft. there are no specs for it that I could find.

http://www.wolfcraft.com/en/products...s/p/index.html

What the polishing procedure does is remove the very thin coat of indium solder that is left on the cores after you scrap them with a blade, exposing the naked silicon.
The silicon itself is very scratch resistant and doesn't scratch at all. The only thing one needs to take care of is actually breaking it. The corners are very sensitive and they can chip if hit with blunt impact.
Actually, this is the exact reason heat spreaders started to be used by Intel back in the day. The warranty claims started escalating around the pentium III time because of cracked cores from improper heatsink installation ( the heatsink would be installed at a slight angle, chipping the core and thus damaging it). This is actually very easy and happened to me with a couple of bare core cpu's. The solution was the heatspreader. It's name is misleading because it actually hampers heat transfer if compared with a properly installed heatsink on top of a core.

Ncase M1 | [email protected] [email protected] TridentX | Asus C8I | 2x2TB nvme RAID0 | RTX 2080TI Blower | Sanded LQII240 with bare core on water block

Last edited by finas; 01-24-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 786 (Unique: 360)
Quote: Originally Posted by finas View Post
I posted the delid video, will try to publish some others about the temps ( before and after ) and also the build process and the Liqtech modding this weekend/ next week.

The last AMD CPU I owned was a phenom II ( also delided ). Since the FX fiasco that I ditched AMD for Intel until now. But things have clearly changed regarding overclocking with AMD and I am struggling the accept some things, like having to choose between an overclock that allows me more freedom ( manual ) but denies me power savings and power savings without any real overclock ( PBO ). Also, I think that with this AGESA thing, AMD is essentially doing that Nvidia has been doing for the past couple of generations. Artificially limit the GPU potential by implementing hardware and software limits ( imposing temp, voltage and power envelopes ).
+rep for video share. Surprised you so such a gain, as IIRC from all of der8auer's videos on this aspect he didn't see the gains you did.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
+rep for video share. Surprised you so such a gain, as IIRC from all of der8auer's videos on this aspect he didn't see the gains you did.
I think that has to do because in all of der8auer's delid videos ( except the last one ) he keeps using the heat spreader, so he only replaces the indium solder with the liquid metal compound. In my case I don't use the heat spreader anymore and the cores touch the water block directly. This removes two layers from the heat path from the core to the air, one layer of thermal compound and one layer of metal ( the heat spreader ).

This 15 to 20 degree improvement is in line with all the delids I've made trough the years where I never used the heat spreader, since my phenom II times and then a bunch of subsequent intel cpu's that I owned before the 3950x.

There is one extra very interesting thing regarding using the bare cores onto the cooler block: it is block pressure and evenness. In the last delid video from der8aurer, on his first power on try he has quite bad results, very high temps, and he them reapplies liquid metal and tries again with better results. It didn't happen to me, but I did optimize my block pressure and evenness in a very easy and surprising way: I set the CPU to 2500mhz and locked voltage to 1v, and in prime95 I set a fixed fft and run at 32 threads. This made the heat output from the cpu very very constant. I let the system run until the temperature no longer raised and I then launched hwinfo.
hwinfo gives you per ccx temperatures with very fine grain in real time and I used this information to tune in the four screws of my cpu block. the result was surprising. I was able to gain 4 extra degrees ( from 14 to 18 ) just by adjusting slightly each of the four screws and it was quite funny as you could see temps change when rotating the screws.

Ncase M1 | [email protected] [email protected] TridentX | Asus C8I | 2x2TB nvme RAID0 | RTX 2080TI Blower | Sanded LQII240 with bare core on water block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:59 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 786 (Unique: 360)
Ahh yes it slipped my mind on his use of IHS with LM and overlooked you stated you've gone bare die.

Again video was very interesting , thank you again for share and clarification .
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I had quite a joy building up my rig but that joy has converted to a kind of state of depression. I was really put down by the liqtech and their false claims ( 450l/h pump versus the 60l/h pump that I measured ) and also the very hard choice I have to make for my next step, and that is actually overclocking the damm thing. AMD has gone the path of nvidia putting limiters everywhere. We are now limited by whatever agesa says we can do or not with our chip. The fact that my crosshair VIII impact bios is buggy as hell didn't help either.

Anyway, I just ordered a just released ekwb AIO that fits my case. I will disasemble it as soon as I get it and test the pump performance and will use the best one on my rig. Regarding overclocking, I may start this weekend to try out per ccx overclock but the fact that I must give away clock and voltage scaling is really killing me.

On another note, I just received my 8mohm resistors to raise the power limit of my 2080ti blower edition, so I will also make a how to video about that, and the performance before and after. Maybe that will lift my mood a bit

Last edited by finas; 01-28-2020 at 04:09 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
I posted the delid video, will try to publish some others about the temps ( before and after ) and also the build process and the Liqtech modding this weekend/ next week.

The last AMD CPU I owned was a phenom II ( also delided ). Since the FX fiasco that I ditched AMD for Intel until now. But things have clearly changed regarding overclocking with AMD and I am struggling the accept some things, like having to choose between an overclock that allows me more freedom ( manual ) but denies me power savings and power savings without any real overclock ( PBO ). Also, I think that with this AGESA thing, AMD is essentially doing that Nvidia has been doing for the past couple of generations. Artificially limit the GPU potential by implementing hardware and software limits ( imposing temp, voltage and power envelopes ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu839b_VleE&t=47s
So like...
What are those?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x.png
Views:	44
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	322930  

R9 3950X
(25 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG STRIX GAMING O11G 11GB DDR5X 352-bit
RAM
F4-3600C18Q-64GTZN
Hard Drive
GIGABYTE AORUS 1TB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf 8TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra , 80+ Titanium, 750 W
Cooling
Fractal Design Celsius S36 Black
Cooling
Alphacool 14 W/mk thermal pad
Case
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Gunmetal
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
Keyboard
Razer DeathStalker Chroma
Mouse
Razer Abbysus v2
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1
Audio
Microlab SOLO 6C NEW
Other
Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-A12x25
Other
Noctua NF-A12x25
Other
Noctua NF-A12x25
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
So like...
What are those?
wow! they sure seem like two capacitors!!!!
I didn't notice them when I did the delid, and the only plausible explanation is that they came off during the delid process.

Having said that, I haven't noticed absolutely nothing strange with my system ( it's been on 24/7 since I finished assembling it ) and I have been doing benchmarks, gaming with maxed out PBO without any stange thing happening. The system is ultra smooth and stable.

I tried to dig some info about it's use and I came up with this post just now:

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-on-top/273360

So, if that information is correct it seems they are used to make sure power is feed to the cpu during transient ( load ) events.

Anyway, excellent catch, I will update the video description with a note and warning.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
what is an sb spread spectrum in asus bios ?
did you just set llc and leave soc and socvdd on auto ?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 130 (Unique: 85)
wow! they sure seem like two capacitors!!!!
I didn't notice them when I did the delid, and the only plausible explanation is that they came off during the delid process.

Having said that, I haven't noticed absolutely nothing strange with my system ( it's been on 24/7 since I finished assembling it ) and I have been doing benchmarks, gaming with maxed out PBO without any stange thing happening. The system is ultra smooth and stable.

I tried to dig some info about it's use and I came up with this post just now:

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-on-top/273360

So, if that information is correct it seems they are used to make sure power is feed to the cpu during transient ( load ) events.

Anyway, excellent catch, I will update the video description with a note and warning.
Hi,
Yeah I imagine it was your razor blade that took those off.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
How did you mount the cooling block on the die? Did ya use a special frame or something created by yourself?

AMD [email protected]@ ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero|EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 2080 [email protected]²O_watercool_Waterblock H²[email protected]|Corsair AV860W|4*8 GB [email protected] [email protected] |Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4, Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB, Samsung 960 evo, 1 TB| Cooler Master CoSmoS II | ASUS Swift PG279Q|Windows 10 Prof. 64 bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in